Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

post your fragrant blooms please

User
11 years ago

Any that are in bloom, open or not, this year or prior years, just want to see what it looks like. A list of fragrant hosta is at Don Rawson's list site, and I have the link below, so check to see which are really fragrant. Plantaginea family is fragrant. However, some with the NAME 'Fragrant Blue' are not plantaginea and are reputedly NOT FRAGRANT (unless you sniff really hard I guess).

Here is my Sugar And Cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Flowered Hosta....DonRawsonLists

Comments (39)

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hey, moccasin, I checked D. Rawson's list and it says Fragrant Blue is fragrant. I have FB but it's not blooming yet in my garden. So far I'm not enamored with it yet. I may move it to a better location.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I checked on that and it is listed there. But there seems to be a discussion somewhere going on that it is not a plantaginea offspring, and I'll have to find the reference.

I love Fragrant Blue. It is blooming for me, and it stayed blue and slug free and it has tough leaves. A tidy shorter plant, not big and free flowing like the species plant. Let's see if I can find it to show you.....

• Lee
    11 years ago

Stargate

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh, never saw Stargate before! It is much like the Sugar And Cream bloom, isn't it?

I went out to take a picture of the Fragrant Blue scape, and it was gone. I saw the bottom, but the top was gone. While I was there, squirrels in the pecan trees were apparently throwing big green pecans down, like hand grenades. So I see now where my split leaves are coming from. Our pecans are the variety Mississippi Giants, paper shell but about two inches long, and in their green covers they are formidable ammunition. I'm glad I have another place more sunny to locate the plantaginea family of hosta.
    Maybe I can upload my latest and share the bloomers with you all.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

Barbara, 'Fragrant Blue' in my experience can be real picky when it comes to fragrance. I suspect it is possibly maturity related, I had mine for 6 or 7 years before I could smell its fragrance and it reminds me of freesias, quite different from the plantaginea family. I'll post some pictures when I'm back home again tonight.

Pieter

• alceon_z5b_ny
    11 years ago

H. 'Fried Green Tomatoes'

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

So Sweet
    {{gwi:1082244}}

Guacamole

bkay

• Lee
    11 years ago

Not sure moccasin... I don't hv Sugar n Cream.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Alceon,

Nice shot!

bkay

• Lee
    11 years ago

Ginsu Knife

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

My H. plantaginae 'Aphrodite' buds are not open yet, if at all this year. But I have a white rosa rugosa blooming and perfuming our deck. I see those white and red roses a lot when we visit the National Sea Shore of Cape Cod, Mass. Bernd

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    11 years ago

Here's one of my 'Fragrant Blue' flowers.

Pieter

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Nice! Pieter.

bkay

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, this is so wonderful!! Thank you for responding. I have not seen all these before. Oh joy, more to come.......???

And, I knew I was not crazy, the scape for the Fragrant Blue was broken off, probably by a leaping squirrel or some falling pecans. Here is the image of that blossoming hosta

How about Sugarbabe. Bob Solberg says it is the smallest fragrant hosta, in his description of it on his site.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BK your pictures are great too, I have yet to get a bloom from So Sweet. It is so inspiring to see these flowers. And I love the way that BEE is buried in the throat of that blossom!
    Ahhhh, POLLEN!!!!

And I know they are not all blooming, but I took this picture today and want to share it. My sea of fragrant hosta.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or a little more specifically, the main ones except for Royal Standard, not in this photo

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Only fragrant thing blooming in my garden right now is Guacamole, and some big green noid with lavender tinted flowers, not Honeybells or Plantaginea, neither of which are blooming yet. It's in full sun so a pic is not good right now. But here is Guacamole:

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This just fresh out of the camera, taken just before dark. Not a breath of air stirring, and the mosquitos were eating me alive....

This is Fragrant Dream. It has two such scapes open, really fine looking.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This pair of scapes in the middle belong to my #1 Royal Standard. It is very dark green which is why I included the other fragrant hosta near it in the shot.

Getting almost too dark to view much detail here.
    Royal Standard.....

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And Fried Bananas opened with a light lavender flower. Lavender and bright gold....nice combination.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I apologize for putting up the wrong picture at 21:31 tonight. That double scape in the photo was Fried Green Tomatoes.

Here is the Royal Standard with THREE scapes. And plantaginea is right behind him, she has NO scapes so far.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Aphrodite finally bloomed! Every year I wait, and every year the deer eat the flowers. Good old Liquid Fence did the trick.

Loved the delicate color in your shot, Alceon.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aHHHH, MadPlanter, congratulations!!! good show.
    How pleased you must be.

We had another shower this early afternoon, so I expect to see more scapes poking their heads up. There is one now on the little new girl, Emily Dickinson.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Big green NOID, maybe Royal Standard. Not Honeybells. Smells heavenly. It is pretty much fried from the heat but it's blooming anyway!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lovely blooms there, Sandy. With it as light green as it is, don't know if it is Royal Standard. Mine is fairly dark leafed. Depending on how old yours is, could it be something like Fried Bananas? I think that The Shining would have too much substance, and not the right growth pattern.

I wish Sweet Standard would bloom so I could upload it here. It arrived same time as Emily Dickinson, just a couple of weeks ago, and good little Emily is sporting a scape already.

Having this thread to refer to with fragrant bloomers should help ID some fragrant ones. I think anyway.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

It's a very old plant, moccasin. Usually a darker green under normal circumstances but this year bleached out by sun and heat.

You should see Aphrodite. So bleached out it is pale chartreuse.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Ctopher identified these two hostas in front of our pool hut as Royal Standard a few weeks ago. They are now starting to bloom profusely. I bought a RS plant in 2007 not realizing I already had 10 big specimens. I now have 11 HUGE plants and another 10 in pots. Talk about RS overload!

• irawon
    11 years ago

Guacamole in bloom today. Smelled the flowers. They are very fragrant, so Plantaginea and Aphrodite must be wonderful to smell.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Moccasin, my So Sweet has almost finished blooming. I thought I'd take a picture anyway to show the scape's proportion to the plant. I bought this division from a fellow hostaholic last year and I'm amazed at how fast it's grown.

{{!gwi}}

• irawon
    11 years ago

Don't understand why the pic of So Sweet didn't go through. Here it is.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice, Irawon...pale lavender on the unopened blossoms. I do not recall if my So Sweet has or had a scape or not.

And Sandy, even with the baking hot sun, they are blooming? I read an item in Tony Avent's web site about the history of fragrant hosta in the western world. Just a brief one. I think the first one was a plantaginea which came to Europe about 1794, then a few years later the got some in England.
    The plantaginea they say takes more heat and sun than any other hosta species. Then Tony went down the list of sports and hybrids developed, some crossed with sieboldiana, then the development of new varieties such as Honeybells, and the first patented plantaginea which was Royal Standard. I am of course bumfuzzling the facts, so if you want to read it go on over to www.plantdelights.com and look for the information about fragrant hosta. It gives a list there of a lot of fragrant hosta which were developed but are not commercially available, at that time anyway, although some now may be resurrected, some are good garden specimens. Not a replacement for Don's list of Fragrant-Flowered Hosta by any means, but this has a bit of chronology to it.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

My plantagineas are just beginning to put up scapes, and Aphrodite looks as if there are developing scapes down in there, so time will tell.

Plantaginea bud looks like it is going to take up wings and fly!

This plant is in the shade, see how different the color is.

Sandy

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandy, it rained here again this afternoon. Barely had time yesterday to get the grass cut before it rained then. But what is exciting to me is the hummingbirds. I know I've read in many places that hummers love the hosta blooms, but until this week or so, I've never realized just how much.

It's almost dangerous to go out to the back forty where I have the spread out group of plantaginea and a few others that are still blooming. I can hear them whizzzzzz by my ears. And they are visiting all the other blooms in the garden as well. But it seems the hosta are their favorites.
    Before I noticed one here, one there, now I see several all at one time. Like a busy airport, need air traffic control.

Hope my mama plantaginea is going to have at least ONE scape. She is the cause of my hosta addiction, first one I bought back in May 2010. I just ordered two more of the species and 2 more Aphrodite, and a bunch more fragrant of all sorts, but mama is my main gal. Cannot beat her.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Here is h.'Fragrant Dream', 'Royal Standard' also blooms. But H.p.'Aphrodite' shows only small white buds, so I gave it another good drink.
    Bernd

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Hope this works.

These two below are the same plant.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Nice pics, Plantbug. I'm trying to scratch and sniff these photos and it isn't working, so I have to let my imagination do the work. Lovely. ;-)

-Babka

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babka, when they develop scented TV and internet, that will be the ultimate!!

Irawon, I love the pictures you uploaded, and Plantbug yours look good enough to eat.

I have more and different fragrant hosta on order, but could not resist adding another Royal Standard to the mix. One can NEVER have too much of a good thing. Now that I know what I like, I'm doubling down on them. Having containers, I can experiment with the right exposure and try to tell which gets the best results.

I sit out in the garden and watch butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds coming every morning and afternoon. It is absolutely glorious. They are more active on days we do not get rain.

If there is another fragrant hosta blooming, put it up here so we can all admire and appreciate it. I'm adding this whole thread to my GWeb clippings file.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Honeybells and North Sea Oats-