Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

$4 knife for dividing hostas

donrawson
10 years ago

Need to divide a hosta? Get this knife from Wal-Mart...super sharp and great for dividing hostas. Produce Department next to the watermelons and cantaloupes.

{{gwi:1082256}}

Comments (17)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

AND - it's colourful so you can find it when you set it down in the garden! Great discovery.
    Jan

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Looks like the perfect knife to cut a watermelon to me! :)

DD

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I like the price and I like the looks. I'm in Canada. I don't know if they will have it here. But then next time I visit the US, I shall have a look and see if I can find it. I like value for my money!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

yes... it's not that I don't have enough knives around... but one that color would sure be easier to find... thanks for the tip!

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

My colorful, easy-to-find Hosta dividing tool:

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

HH- hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! ROTFLMAO

-Babka

• User
    10 years ago

Ah, the trusty chainsaw. My DH has an electric one, which I questioned as to choice for hurricane cleanup, but then he bought a gas generator and now it can work when power is out.

I personally am afraid of a chain saw, but I totally love my Tiger Saw/Sawzall/reciprocating saw. I've done wonders taking out walls with that. When I get a hosta big enough to take that saw to it, you all will be the first to hear about it!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Well, I use one of those weed digging forks to divide mine, don't even have to dig it up to divide it! Just slide it right down and separate an eye or two or so. I know, it's sacrilege, but it works great for me!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I've trained the rabbits to handle my division work for me. They do surprisingly well.

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

COdonLorado , HAI !

Moc - sawzall - Brilliant ! I'll need longer blades.

This pic is of my mini-hosta dividing tools:

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Don, Don ... I thot rabbits' specialty was multiplication!

You may have to take yours on tour! Charge admission. Train a few more. Take them on tour.

Don's Hare tour ... A cut above the rest!

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Dave, I'm finally catching up on my reading...I think Don will need a front man for his line-up on his tour and you're IT! You two crack me up! What wit!!!!

A serious question...Don, do you draw too?

HH, hey I got a pair just like that! Yours look better tho'!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

NHL...IKEA carries them I think and probably our WM as well.

Baka..I was ROTFLMAO just from your ROTFLMAO response!
    .I've been using steak knives for years...multi purpose as I also use knives to cut my garden edge....when they get dull, I find the nearest rock and sharpen both sides of knife because I can't find the darn rasp/file anywhere!!! Try it, it works great! Hang on to those old knives...they tell a story .. :-)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jo...No, not really. I draw a little from time to time, but I lack skill. My brother is an excellent illustrator, though.

Don B.

• vina538
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hostahillbilly - Love the chainsaw method of division. In September I want to take a piece off my large Elegans and, since I don't have a chainsaw, I'll use my hatchet. When I got rid of the large number of (awful) ornamental grasses at my new house, I physically couldn't get the clumps out of the ground. (I'm old!) So I used the hatchet to chop them into sections in the ground. I was then able to lift them out. I'm sure it will work for the hosta too. Don't think you can hurt a hosta - even if my aim is still poor, I'm sure all will be beautiful again next spring.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Here’s what I use for breaking up a large hosta.......

Bert, my neighbor.....not cheap, but no back strain for me!!

debra