Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

American Hosta Journal

hostahosta
10 years ago

After reading the thread on Hostapedia, I wanted to share this info.

I joined the American Hosta Society a couple of years ago and began receiving their journal. What wonderful pictures and articles. This past spring I purchased a complete set of past journals. ( I think they are still available. See inside back few pages of the journal for information) Over 50 journals for $68. 1968 to present. Wow. The early ones were pretty much without pics, but think about what technology was in 1968. Present day journals are gorgeous. Lots of shiny, glossy pics and current information of all kinds. It was fascinating to read the articles in chronological order and learn about the history and development of hosta and hosta people! Now that I have devoured them, I am loaning them out to my hostaholic friends and family!

Comments (6)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

The Journal with its unbelieveable photos are THE reason I joined the AHS. Growing tidbits and what's new in the hosta world are are even teaching this old dog new tricks. I can't use the $15 off because there are not hosta nurseries out here, and no hosta societies either. When it comes time to make more space, I'll have to toss some of the older ones, which will be very hard to do even tho I rarely read them more than once.

-Babka

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

How do you go about buying the past journals? I would be very interested in them. Do you have to be a member?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

You don't have to be a member to get past journals. They used to be $12.50 each, then in the last printed issue of 2012 they were $17.50 ea, (excluding the sold out Vol. 36 number 1, and all the Vol 37 issues). Then the blurb in the most recent printed Vol.44, #1 (2013) says 36 different issues for $75.

Just now, I went to the AHS website (linked below) where they are selling them for $1 ea. Go figure.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Publications

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its fascinating.. to begin at the beginning.. where it was just a round robin between pauline banyai.. alex summers.. etc ... and to move thru the growth and creation of the hosta world ...

buck a piece huh???? .... you dont want to know what i paid for them 20 odd years ago ...

but what i really dont understand... is why you would buy all the back ones... but not join to get the future ones ... what is this nonsense.. do i have to join ????

of course you do.. how the helk you going to get the future ones????

ken

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

LOL!!! Don't mess with Ken! Say something silly and you are going to hear about it! But he is right, join, join,join, it is worth it.When I joined in 2001, I bought as many back issues as I could and I still go thru' them!

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Oh Ken...of course I will join. I have just been debating on joining AHS or one that is more local. Life just gets in the way of obsessions sometimes and with our sudden and unexpected change of residence, I have had to restart from scratch most of my Hosta collection. I had to put my love and dreams of a Hosta Utopia on hold for a couple of years! I just borrowed The Gardener's Guide to Growing Hostas from the library and am really enjoying them. I ask because I had emailed Barbara Schroeder at AHS to see what was available and have not received a response.

@idiothe-in another post about the Hostapedia you brought to my attention the Hosta Sport listing. I was already using the other two and was not aware of the other. I thank you and my DW especially thanks you. I think she is growing tired of my Hosta Obsession!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor