Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyciaadamo

stained glass with sun damage

alyciaadamo
9 years ago

I have a stained glass in a bed that gets all day sun from about 7am to about 2 or 3pm. I put it in this bed last year from an area that actually got 1-2 hours more sun. I don't remember it burning so badly last year. This year there is a ton of sun damage on the leaves. BUT we also do not usually get or stay hot here and it has been downright unrelentlessness with the heat. I have some that are in only 2 hours of sun that have minor sun damage this year that never have had any sun damage. Should I move it to a place with less sun or do you think it may just be an odd year for sun damage? Is Stained Glass normally ok in this much sun. I live in Northern Maine where we usually stay pretty cool. Even my Liberty has no sun damage at all but it may get 1 possibly 2 hours less sun.

On another note I just moved Carnival and Halcyon over with my stained glass. The Halcyon was getting only 1 less hour of sun but the Carnival was only getting 2-3 hours of morning sun before I moved it. Was this a bad move?

My problem is I am trying to fix my flower bed and I somehow put 3 hostas(Adorable, Avacado and Stained glass) that all looked similar last year in a bed I wanted contrasting color in.

Comments (6)

• dg
    9 years ago

It's possible that you haven't well watered enough to compensate for sun exposure and the more intense heat you say you have gotten this year.

• User
    9 years ago

I'd say not to move them due to the SUN damage. BUT, if you want to change up your color scheme in the bed, then do it for that reason.

It is a particularly brutal year for sun. I am watering every day now, and some of my fragrants (but not specifically Stained Glass) are in mostly AFTERNOON sun in zone 9a. SG gets morning sun, mid day shade, and late afternoon sun. It is not burning.

However, the thinking is since it is already burned, to leave it there, keep it watered, and it will finish growing mostly roots so that next year it will be a lot larger. If you need to, increase the amount of water you give your hosta. Try to drown them with love. With my watering every day, the air is still hot, but it gets cooled for a period of time which helps me to grow them here. I have a thick layer of mulch with my pots, and the evaporative process helps cool things down. I don't think you have the high humidity with your heat up (excuse me, DOWN MAINE) there that we have as a regular thing in south Alabama.

Give them water. Don't give them fertilizer this late in your growing season. They'll be asleep in another month anyway, won't they? Down here, we still have September, October, and November to get through before they go dormant in December. Then somehow they need 40 days of dormancy to wake up and do it all over again in mid March. My problem is not keeping them warm, but providing enough cool hours.

Oh yeah....I forgot to add this disclaimer: My experience is with hosta in POTS.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i say quit moving them ...

how about it stays in one spot for two years.. before you make conclusions about too much sun ...

you really need to let it grow a root mass ... before you determine its roots cant cope in the amount of sun you have it in ..

ken

• alyciaadamo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken yes I try not to move my plants much just because it takes so long for them to grow. But after 2012 and losing over 50 diferent plants I moved mostly what had survived from pots, my Stained glass was one of them. The flowerbed where I had put it usually turns to weed every year. It seems like the only bed I just couldn't seem to get right. After moving everything in the bed except for 1 peony and Stained glass this year I think I may finally have it right. But I think everyone is right I think it is the water. I will not move anything again. Usually this bed gets TONS of water due to the position of where the rain runoff from the roof is. But with such lack or rain and such high temps this year I bet that is exactly why Stained Glass is all burned up.

Yes our plants go dormant in September. I was told a few years ago not to fertilize past August 1 but with all the crazy weather and winter coming earlier every year(snow all October last year) it has now been pushed back to July 1.

I can't do pots anymore they all die from crown rot in the winter here. The last one I have left in a huge barrel is Sally and Bob. I am just so afraid if I replant it I will lose it, at the same time every winter I get so worried too. Last winter I was so worried about losing it after the huge loss of 2012, I put a cover on it so there was never any snow or rain on it. This year is was super small. I just don't know if I should move it or not. The barrel is too big to move.

Thank you so much. I feel so dumb that I didn't think of lack of water.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Aly, Those of us with pots struggle to get enough moisture and not too much to our plants in the winter. (Rot time is the spring, not the winter, though.) I lost lots over this winter. This time is was not enough moisture. We didn't get any rain, but we still had drying winds and sun to desiccate the soil in the pots. I lost almost everything small or new. You may have had that problem. If you have low humidity and they soil gets really dry, then the roots will shrink.

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a planter box. It is covered and gets no natural rainfall. I didn't water over the winter and lost either 2 out of 5 or 3 out of five in that planter box. The ones that survived were smaller.

It may not apply, but is just something to think about regarding your last pot.

bk

• dg
    9 years ago

Can you drill a couple rows of weep holes along the soil level and above, at the top of the barrel? Maybe the holes would shed off water from top of the barrel's frozen media and help prevent crown rot...