Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ken was right, it's Aphrodite

Posted by bkay2000 8a TX (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 19:51

The reason the buds won't open is that it's not plantaginea, but Aphrodite. I pried open the bud and it's multi-petaled.

bkay
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ken was right, it's Aphrodite

Yup, that was what I thought the first time I saw it too. Someone mixed it up either in the nursery or at the wholesaler. At least you know now :)

o

Thanks so much Chris. You were right, I just started peeling back the petals and it opened right up.

bkay

o

Dang, Ken sure is "right" a lot this year!

o

Hmmm, had not thought about it being a mixup.
How would I know anyway, never having had an Aphrodite before, and still waiting for the big mama to bloom here.
Just have to keep watching and holding my breath.

So, BKay, are you in the market for a nice big plantaginea again? All these threads about the fragrant family of hosta are tempting my resolve not to order anything else this summer!

BKay, do you suppose any other buds will open on their own?
That looks really nice, even forced.

Hmmm, I wonder if gibberellic acid, like they use on camellias to make the buds open, would work on the hosta scapes?

I bet Ken knows......??

o

boy i like the sounds of all that.. lol ...

and no.. i lost interest when it came to psychedelic drugs for plants ... those stuffs ??? are very dangerous to the casual user.. and kids rolled around ... and i figured.. i didnt need an extra set of toes or whatever ...

its nice to be right.. but what is even better.. is a bunch of peeps whose thirst for knowledge.. is making me re-energize all these somewhat wasted brain cells ... so thank you ...

ken

o

Would you believe the guy I bought the "plantaginea" from told me that "Yor picture is obviously a flower that has been damaged from some sort of insect"?

I may have bought my last mail order plant. I may join Phil in not buying anything I can't see.

However, the other flowers are beginning to open on the plant.

bkay

o

I'm down south near phil so I'm going to miss my Aphrodite blooms this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here