Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseygarden

Something is killing my collection

jerseygarden
15 years ago

Sum and sub gone , undulate gone and now patriot is showing same symptoms as them . Yellowing leaves and when i pull the leaf it comes up and the bottom has a white like spiderweb texture on it.

Any takes on what this is all about?

Comments (7)

• jbranch
    15 years ago

Sounds like Petiole Rot. I have two hostas going down hill with the same thing. I did not realize it, but these two hostas had the same thing last year (they came back this year just fine), so it may not kill your hosta, but somewhere I think I read that it can. In the attached document, look for petiole rot which I think is the same as Southern Blight. I am treating mine with Bayer All in One Rose and Flower Care. There is also a version of this without a builtin fertilizer. It is available at The Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Diseases and Pests

• jerseygarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for that website , it was usefull . It seems i most likely have the petiole rot symptoms. Plants will be dug out right now since tonight is garbage night so out they go..

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

Try this link, very good photos.

If it is SB it is a soil born fungi that will migrate mostly down stream with water flow but does spread on flat ground.

A pain that appears when temp goes up plus a bit of humidity.

Search on this site "southern blight".

Here is a link that might be useful: southern blight

• jbranch
    15 years ago

EO - Question - does Southern Blight kill hosta? The hosta that I am having the most problem with is Krossa Regal. Last year it completely died, or so I thought, but came back beautiful this year. Now it is doing it all over again. What would you do? I am using the Bayer product I mentioned, someone on Hallson's forum has had good results with it. Do you think SB is controlable? I believe I have read that it is.

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

There was probably a piece of the crown left that came back, then we get to the proper conditions which is about now and it rears its ugly head again and will probably forever until you more or less kill it all.

Yes, it can be controlled but you may not have any of the hosta in the area by the time you do it. I think it was Josh Speece that posted the chemical that works well, search the site for southern blight you will find it.

BIG BUTT dig up the hosta in the area and wash off carefully then give a 10% bleach treatment and pot them if you want to save them.

Now, treat the area for a couple of years, maybe. It really is difficult to eradicate.

Good luck!

• hostamanfred
    15 years ago

Jersey.. no need to throw away your hostas. The fungus is in the soil and spreads easily by hot, moist weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sothern Blight discussion

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Did you check to see if it was mealybugs? They can do that too, and they leave white stuff, well actually they ARE the white stuff. They are cottony little critters. Easy to kill with alcohol or ammonia.

Lainey