Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanovice

Sharing my new garden

hostanovice
9 years ago

Just sharing a pic of a portion of my new treasures! Anybody recognize any of these beauties?!

Comments (9)

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

I'm wondering if the light coloured one on the left side that is scaping is Eye Declare? Maybe someone else with more experience will comment. Mine is scaping right now.
    Beautiful garden!

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 10:04

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

really ... lol ...

that might be a frances williams or one of her clones in there ...

good luck figuring out which one... lol ...

ken

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

The one Ken may be referring to I think is in the center but a little to the top of the picture. It is a blue/green in the center with a chartreuse margin. Could you provide a close up of that one?
    It looks like it might have a gold leaf hiding in there. I have a Tokudama Flavocircinalis that looks a lot like your pic. Long strange name but it is a beautiful hosta. Last year while I was trying to ID it I found a couple of corrugated gold leaves. Turns out Toku. Flav. is known to produce the sport Golden Bullion. So if you have a few gold leaves in there with their own eye? it might be Toku. Flav. sporting Golden Bullion. I separated GB this year and hoping it will survive.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh barb.. you're no fun.. telling her which one... lol ...

ken

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

So sorry Ken - she has found a sympathetic Hosta newbie. LOL. I am always thrilled to positively identify one of my hosta noids and I am slowly wittling down my list. Can't imagine facing that size of a garden.

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't really expect anybody to try to start identifying my plants from this pic, there must be 40 different ones in this picture!! But I do sincerely appreciate the effort, I will look into those Barb - thank you! By the way, I am a dude! Wondering why so many got the impression that I am a female?! My wife will be joining me in this hosta adventure but since she is about 3 weeks away from having our 2nd child she hasn't been too enthusiastic about spending time in our garden!!

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

LOL, sorry Hosta 'Dude'. I questionned the 'she' as I typed but just kept going. I'm sure your wife will supply hosta support somewhere down the line.
    Congratulations on the expected new arrival.
    My boys are both in their twenties now so I have more time to devote to gardening.
    So far all of my 'in person' hosta fanatics are women but I am learning that men can be just as passionate about their hosta here on the forum.
    Barb

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My 4yr old is excited to go slug hunting with a spray bottle of ammonia and water. Training them young as I will need help with this garden!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hostanovice, I guess more congrats are in order...a new house and a new baby! How exciting! That's the spirit - start with the kids when they are young. :-). I caught the "gardening" bug from my mother, and the " love-the-smell-of-good-soil" bug from my father...when we grew vegetables for a living....just can't keep me out of my garden!

Much happiness and joy in your new surroundings.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting