Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. Mystic Star

Posted by irawon 5a Ottawa (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 20:13

I've had hosta Mystic Star since August 2010...so fully 4 years old. I'd recognize it anywhere...blue, smooth, concave leaves of good substance. I love it but the slugs don't, so I love it even more.

Here are some progression pictures so far this year. Sorry I can't post all the pictures at once.

June 3, 2014

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. Mystic Star

June 25,2014

o

July 18, 2014

o

And lastly, August 7, 2014. Does anyone else have it? Some hosta nurseries show it with bumpy leaves. There's only one pic
in the Hosta Library and it shows with smooth leaves.

o

Thanks for the pictures! I just got one this year from Budd Gardens so don't have any good pictures to share. I'm looking forward to watching this one grow.
Vanessa

o

Looks like it gets bluer as the season goes, instead of the opposite which is usually true for blues. Nice plant.

Karen

o

Thanks so much for these pics Irawon. Looks like a big winner...Yet one more for 'The List'.

Don B.

o

Hi Vanessa,

Budd's has it listed at 10" h x 28" w. Mine is now at 10" x 22" in my "hard to grow in " area of my gardens. I know it won't disappoint you. BTW, I've bought a lot of hostas from Budds but this one came from Rideau Woodland Ramble.

o

Thanks for looking in and the comments, tepelus. I like the colour best in June.

o

Hi Don,

Thanks for taking an interest. Your comments are always appreciated. MS is a hybrid of 'yingerix Dorset Blue'. I'm not up on the species hostas but Dorset Blue is supposed to be a slow grower. MS, on the other hand, is a good grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here