Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
different leaf

Posted by amberdim 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 20:23

Please see if you can tell me why this hosta has 2 diferent types of the leafs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: different leaf

Amberdin,
The strap-like leaves might be younger leaves. They all appear to be coming from the center. My Gosan Leather Strap does that... strap-like leaves when young, then they widen with age.

OR you might have a sport.

o

It will probably go away next year. I had a couple of hosta do that this spring. They put out thin, strap like leaves early this year. I'm guessing it's the bad winter we had. If it's still there next year, then you (and I) have a new variety of hosta. Whether it's worth having, we'll have to wait and see.

Are the yellow streaks just the sun?

bk

o

Thank you for your reply. No it is just a sun... I,ll try to see tomorrow if there is any difference in colour

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 21:24

Once the sun burns a spot in a leaf, it doesn't turn back green. That is probably all it is...BUT can you take a closer photo of the damage on the leaves?

-Babka

o

bkay.... winter should be irrelevant on a dormant hosta... maybe a spring frost/freeze event???

i would like a better pic of those 2 leaves.. to rule out some virus ... the coloration looks a bit funky .. and it might be nothing important at all... just want a better look ...

ken

o

The leafs are perfect colour, not a spot on them and i counted 5 of the long ones...

o

first pic.. leaf at 530 .... yellow splotches ..

a complete camera trick per pic two????

if so.. wow.. and good ...

i wonder what that is/was ... all about ...

ken

o

Yea me too, guys... leaf is or are as there are several of the same shape...

o

Amber,

I've taken a photo of the one that has the strap like leaves. I have not idea why it made the strange leaves. Others came up with them, too. I assumed they are from dormant eyes, as this one and the others barely made it through our dry winter. They all came up with a bunch of little eyes, rather than two to four large eyes you would expect of a second year plant. I'm pretty sure they will be back on track next year.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here