Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Help me come up with the right question

bkay2000
9 years ago

I visited the Arboretum on Friday. 90% of the hosta are gone. Some seem to have dwindled to nothing like Forest Fire, which I posted about Friday evening. There are tags but nothing there. Then, giant swaths of hosta are just gone. They were huge in April 2012. I had my mom with me, so could not take many photos. I took a few, one of which was the one shown below. I reported it to the right guy, who said they had sent out samples to be tested. Since I've had the same hosta with the same problem, now I recognize it.

Obviously, there are several things going on here. The guy who would have and could have answered the questions has gone on to bigger and better public gardens. The trial garden's email doesn't work, but there's a phone number listed. I'll probably get voice mail.

What's the question I should ask? I want to know how many the lost to HVX and how many just dwindled. I also want to know if there have been any irrigation problems that might account for the huge losses. They aren't going to volunteer much information. I can't think of an approaching question, other than, "What happened to all the hosta?" Do I ask about the HVX and how many were removed?

If all of those hosta just died 1 to 2 years after they were huge and happy, I might as well give up right now.

bk

Comments (6)