Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

'Diva'? 'Aspen Gold' Maybe...?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi Hosta-Buddies,

Finally got around to planting the bed I made that will mainly feature the creations of Olga Petryzyn. In the very front right hand side of this pic, I'm going to plant a gold hosta, or at least an almost-gold/chartreuse ('September Sun')...So, SS is more of a remote possibility, but I certainly don't think it would look bad there. I'm really leaning toward 'Diva' because it has the big, big leaves to compete for attention with the other six big-leaf plants in this bed. I think 'Aspen Gold' is gorgeous, but I just got it and I think the leaves will make it look dinky compared with the biggies. Not sure it gets all that large to begin with. What do you think, peeps?

Thanks for your time and input!
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 20:55

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Come to think of it, I do have a new 'Fragrant Fire', which is not gold, but it's a nicely-variegated sport of Olga's'Old Faithful'. It's supposed to get quite big, I believe. It also features a lot of red on the petioles, which would be shown off well in that spot.

Options, options, Having indicision when choosing hostas is one of those 'fun problems' to have.....Here is another angle. 'Gone With The Wind' is behind the Aspen Tree in this pic.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I think a blue would be a nice addition - Grand Canyon, Blue Hawaii, Chesapeake Bay or Great Plains for instance.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually have 'Blue Hawaii' and 'Chesapeake Bay' in the bed. I need a better camera, Donna! LOL

I currently have 'Mississippi Delta', 'Gone With The Wind', 'Hoosier Dome' 'Blue Hawaii', 'All That Jazz', and 'Chesapeake Bay' in the bed. One more biggie, and some underplanting to think about for the future, perhaps?

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This shot doesn't show all the plants, but at least it's clearer and you can make out the types better, I think.

Don B.

EDIT: 'Mississippi Delta' is the plant not shown, just out of the shot, planted to the far left.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 0:11

• User
    10 years ago

Don, I'm assuming by the names you mentioned for that righthand spot, that you are not restricting the choice to Olga hosta? (Diva, Sept Sun, Aspen Gold)

I like the Fragrant Fire sport of Old Faithful. It is a gorgeous hosta. And I'm thinking you want something that will prosper in more sun, excluding blues perhaps?

After judicious consideration, I agree that DIVA is the one for the job. It's a Russ O'Harra hosta just registered. Do you already have it? Yes? Then there you go!

You won't even have to make a "smaller" order. :)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heh heh. Yup, I have 'Diva', still in a nursery pot, Mocc. 'Fragrant Fire' is sure sweet, but 'Diva' has those huge leaves that I think will work best with the others. A beauty in it's own right, I think. I set Sept Sun, Aspen Gold and Diva down in the bed to see how they'd look if planted there, and Russ O'Harra's plant was the one that didn't seem 'overwhelmed' by Olga's creations. Makin' new hosta beds! Good times! Thanks for the input, Mocc and Donna. : )

Much obliged,
    Don B.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living