Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by hostahosta Z6 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 20:35

This is a mature plant. Obtained about 5 years ago as a large division from a family member. Probably a commonly available plant, as they are not hosta collectors. Bloomed in early July, light purple. I'll post a close up leaf shot in the next message.
I'd appreciate any efforts to name this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

Here is the leaf shot.

o

Any seed pods on those scapes? If not it's likely Undulata Albomarginata. It's sterile.

Steve

o

Need more data HH. My sim Summer Fragrance took me days and days to ID. I borrowed Hostapedia from a foreign library for 6 weeks cataloging all the look similars.

Here's my neighbor Bobbi's NOID I'd only took today. It only has 5vp and white flowers. I don't know if it is fragrant. Don't mean to raid your thread. I'll be posting this along with others tommorrow after taking measurements. Just wanted to show how tough gn/wh's can be without details.

Bobbi's NOIS BHN17, can only count 5 vp

I promised to cataloque hers and have 19 in her front yard alone. So far I have only IDs on about 4.

Good luck on this one.

Les

o
RE: ID please *

Oops. That hosta is the top LH corner is H. 'Careless Finger', definitely not a candidate for HOY! (lol)

Les

o

It's Undulata Albomarginata, probably the most common plant out there. And the picture that hostaLes posted is So Sweet.

o

Thanks Chris-I went out last night and took a sniff and it was mildly fragrant so this am I was going to HL data base & check So sweet.

Now I can move on to her other 15-16 NOID's.

Les

o

Cool....it is always fun to read the NOID threads, very educational too.

Hoping never to endure another spate of NOID problems, I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of gardener....I stick the nursery tag in the side of the pot below surface level, and then put my "made" tags where they'll show when I take pictures.

My worst nightmare is trying to ID a green with white margins. Or a plain green. Seems like I have a lot of those. In this thread, we got two for the price of one, taken off the mystery NOID list. How cool is that!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here