Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbubandit_gw

Just sharing a pic of my Blue Cadet

SBUBandit
9 years ago

Yes I know it needs to be split badly, but I just wanted to showoff my Blue Cadet. This and Captain Kirk are some of my favorites

Comments (13)

• BetsyKristl
    9 years ago

That is one lovely hosta! I wonder what it would look like after a rabbit snacked on it?

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Looks great. I must ask. Why split it? It looks perfect just as it is if you ask me. People always ask me when I split my hosta's and my answer is always the same. Never!!! I just love the look of large, mature hosta's.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Don't ever split that! Lovely and impressive! Splitting is for people who don't want giant specimens and that ain't most of us!

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I don't see any point in dividing hosta, either - except to have more of the same or if its outgrown its space. That Blue Cadet is one for the record books.

DD

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful Blue Cadet
    One of my favorites too.....Perfect as is!!!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Looks absolutely perfect to me!

• SBUBandit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, glad I'm not the only one that loves the way this plant grows so perfectly round and mounded. There is a second one just like it but slightly bigger around about 10 feet from this one. The one in the pic is easily 3 feet across. I am moving in roughly a month to a new house on a much larger property. I'll be taking some of my Hostas with me. Hopefully they make the trip ok

• User
    9 years ago

Bandit, thanks for showing us your lovely Blue Cadet.
    There are threads on here about moving hosta, so look for them to be bumped up to the top just for your benefit.

How many do you have to move? Are you going far away or is it a local move? Already have the home chosen etc? Is it in a zone where frost and freeze come early? Can you get them in the ground in time to avoid heave?

Would love to think they'll all look beautiful next spring. It would almost be as if you had not moved then!

• User
    9 years ago

That looks like mine that I did just split! It was quite a job but I moved it all to another spot to line a walkway into the backyard. I'm pleased with the results. This is also one that was in full sun almost all day and stayed blue. It's a trooper.

• SBUBandit
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccasin,
    I am planning to split several of them so I don't leave a whole bunch of holes in the landscaping for the new buyers. The new house I'm buying is only 2 miles from the current one, so the plan is to split them and put them in the ground at the new place the same day in a temporary spot until spring when I can work on the new place's landscaping. It's MI, so light frost will probably hit by mid-late October. Closing is Mid September, so I can move them then.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

SBU, I'm with the rest...too beautiful to split and not necessary.....except for the move.

I've never seen one that huge or that gorgeous! Thank you for that spectacular treat!

Lucky for you that new home is in such near proximity! When I moved and took my plants, no one was the wiser as I had so many to start off with. It was only when I was leaving that the garden looked truly amazing....in terms of spacing, Lol!

Good luck with your move! I hope you stay with us along the way! :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful clump, Bandit. That's quite impressive and lovely. I'd take a bunch of it with me, too, if I were moving.

Good luck with the move!

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 15:50

• User
    9 years ago

Hey Don, I got your unedited version of the post and had to reply. True enough about not wanting to divide your hosta.

I just divided one of my Stargate's, because I discovered it had 2 streaked eyes and 2 solid green eyes. Did not want to wind up with another totally solid greenie. i'm wondering what that greenie could be, will have to check it out. Both halves were the same size though. Nothing exciting. I probably could share the greenie, at least ONE EYE. Even though it is a fragrant, it is supposed to be sterile.