Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

What is life if you don't take a few chances along the way

Jon 6a SE MA
10 years ago

I have been fascinated by Tokaduma, flavorcircinalis; so much so that I have memorized the name. I was browsing through Ebay and happened upon a reneecainstudios that offered Tokaduma, flavorcircinalis (memorized the spelling too). She runs a small mail order business and had a 99.6% favorable rating and an impressive resume...so, I couldn't resist buying 3 Tokaduma, flavorcircinalis for $4 @.

They came today and were in a small box tucked in the back of the mailbox which I missed when I first checked the mail. I checked the tracking and found it was delivered. I quickly took them out and soaked them and........

{{gwi:1083246}}

when I unraveled the package there were -6- Tokaduma, circanalis!!!

After soaking I quickly planted them 3@ in 6" pots. I will have to think about where to plant all 6 now. The largest root was 6" and none were under 4" long. The roots looked healthy. Sure, the leaves show some heat or sun damage...but not bad at all.

{{gwi:1083247}}

They will be planted in two groups of 3 each and if some disease pops up...well, then so be it; they will be offed with little regret.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Right now I am a happy camper, 6 Tokaduma, circinalis for 18 dollars.

Jon

Comments (5)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Tokudama Flavocircinalis was one of my first hostas ever,and one I almost lost to voles,way back in 2002. It is slow growing,at least for me,but I still have it in the newest part of the garden,and it is very small now. It apparently doesn't like to be moved,but at least i still have it. Good choice,and I hope yours grows up well. Phil

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Jon - Les had grown T. 'Aureonebulosa" in Arkansas and after several attempts finally had one that had really taken hold. When we moved up to Illinois it was left behind because they don't move well. We hope the buyers of the properties still have it and treasure it. The Toku's are really fantastic once they mature. Good luck with yours. I certainly understand your enthusiasm.

One of the things that fascinates me, and I don't remember the technical name, is how it's veins develop at the base as one and divide into two before gaining the tip. The Tokus have more vein pairs than any hosta I kinow of which gives them their fantastically round and rugose leaves. If only we have the patience to see them develop. I wouldn't bet my reputation on it but I think the T. A. left behind had something like 27 vp of which half were doubled.

Theresa

Theresas

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, I have a few places that I can place them as future specimens. I will stay away from relatively tough areas based on your advice, thank you for the good advice.

Theresa, These are way too small to see any vein effect yet, but it will be interesting to see if / when this variety develops it.

I had no idea that they were move adverse as you both describe, I will have to keep that in mind, but they are so small it may not matter as much now.

I understand that they are best when in good shade to show off their colors, I hope so because I don't have that much partly sunny space to dedicate to 6 hosta of any one kind.

Jon

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

when i moved.. with all the pots.. i lost a lot of toku in spring .. they do not like cold damp potting media ...

i cant figure out if you are leaving them in the pots for winter...???? .. i might not ... or at least make sure one pot gets into mother earth .....

i have also found.. that clay pots are near impossible to use outdoors... unless you have experience with such.. you might want to find some plastic pots ... the clay can wick water out of the potting media ...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pots are strictly temporary Ken. I would never try to keep anything in a pot over winter, maybe buried as you suggest. By the time I found out the hosta were here it was getting dark and I scurried around and just mixed together something to keep them in for a few days. Mixed some compost, bark fines and humus mix together (what I had quickly available)

This weekend I will put them in the ground. We have some more rainy weather coming in the next couple of days and it is cool now (in the high forties last night) so I am sure they will be fine. Clay pots do wick off moisture, but if you keep up on top of the watering this can be an advantage (no stale moisture). Anyway, it is what I had quickly available.

Jon