Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The most shade-tolerant hosta?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 20:44

I have lots of different hostas around my yard, but the Royal Standards that I have planted next to the house on the north side have not blossomed in years. I also want to fill in an area in the back yard under some dense shade trees, but I want them to bloom.
Any suggestions? I would love one with lavender flowers, but will settle for white. I have several wonderful Krossa Regals that I love, but have never tried them in heavy shade.
Any suggestions for the most shade-tolerant ones that will continue to bloom?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The most shade-tolerant hosta?

I have Golden Gate, Great Arrival, Olive Bailey Langdon, and Frances Williams in deep shade, only a little bit of morning dappled sun. They all bloomed this year.

I pulled a Krossa Regal out of deep shade so that I could have one on each side of the fireplace. The one that's been in the sun all summer has scapes, but the flowers haven't opened up. The one that I pulled out of deep shade doesn't have scapes yet.

Gesila

o

If you want a big blue one, my Abiqua Drinking Gourd grew really quickly in the shade and blooms like crazy.

chris

o

Thanks Gesila and chris.
Too bad Krossa Regal doesn't do great in shade. Its such a wonderful plant.

o

all the fragrant hosta.. need as much sun as possible to bloom

its part of their plantginea heritage ...

and for best flowering.. in the most sun.. there are good odds they will suffer later in summer ..

its the price you pay ...

so you either want them looking perfect all year.. or you want flowers ....

this is for z5 .. and the further south you go.. the less sun they can take .. so its areal balancing act ...

ken

o

I do like the blue ones and I like tall ones for the area I'm wanting to fill. Oh....and I like lavender blossoms.
My Royal Standards bloom great in the sun, but the ones in some shade seem to peter. I'm sort of surprised they've done so poorly in just mild shade.
The hummingbirds sure like the blossoms.....especially on the Krossa Regal.

o

June is blooming now at my house (zone 5) -- even the one in the deepest shade. Its blossoms are pale lavendar. Here is is before blooming.

Photobucket

o

Maybe we need some more accurate definition of "deep shade". That previous picture of June didn't look like what I would call "deep shade"; it looks to me more like "dappled" something.

I would think "deep shade" would mean no rays of direct sun at all, and even not very bright....(but maybe it's just me that's not very bright.....)

Is there a link to good definitions of the various light levels we use to describe what works and what doesn't?

o

Maybe this article is helpful: The 7 Types of Shade in Your Garden

o

Excellent information.
Thank you for that link !!!!

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here