Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

still fried bananas?

miketropic
9 years ago

How long are the flowers suppose to be on a true 'tigea. I posted a pic of a no id earlier in the season and most said fried bananas. The blooms have come out and I measured one today at 6 inchs and another at 5.5..pics later..do fried bananas have blooms that long?

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not that i am aware of ....

are they white... or pale purple ... look at a bud that will open tomorrow ... some pale purple flowers fade to white almost immediately on opening ...

ken

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There pure white with the sweetest smell and around 6 inchs..forgot to put pics up today but will tomm

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

If it's a 6" bloom, it's plantaginea.

You don't have to wait for ken. Most of us can answer that one.

bk

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Mike: I find Fried Bananas is a common one or a favourite on this forum. Many times I have seen members identify the NOID as Friend Bananas and I have thought to myself, Hmmm that looks like my Plantaginea. I have several Plantaginea in my yard and they are all different shades of green depending on how much sun they get so colour for this one is really hard to nail down. But ... the fragrant 6" blooms tell the story. You have Plantaginea! Enjoy it!

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will def post pics tomm of the blooms. I was given them a few years back and they have gotten huge. Thanks for a positive id

• dhaven
    9 years ago

Just to clarify, Fried Bananas is a Plantaginea offspring, so part of the Plantaginea family, but not Plantaginea, which is a green color rather than the chartreuse/yellow of Fried Bananas.

This variety is the absolute favorite of my hummingbirds, they check out every single bloom multiple times a day, and are so intent on doing so that I can get within a few feet of the plant without scaring them off.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fried Bananas is nice as well...Once I buy a plantaginea that I can grow, I'll post that, too.

Don B.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

as promised pics of said blooms. If it stops raining long enough I will get pics of the plants tomm.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another not opened..don't beat me up for the bad lower leaves they were removed right after the pics

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, nice huge blooms, as far as hostas go. Nice.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

plantaginea ...

be nice to see the whole clump ...

can anyone post a pic of a FB flower???

ken
    {{gwi:2050}}

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pics of the whole clump tomm..actually have 4 huuge clumps all given to me by a old gardener lady who had no idea what they were

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Guacamole Don, your Fried Bananas is huge and gorgeous! One very scrumptious hosta!

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Of course there's nothing to show scale, but measuring the unopened flowers on this FB, the longest was barely 2.5 inches long. FB is a great plant with strongly fragrant flowers, but the size of flowers don't come even close to Mama (plantaginea). No fragrants do, except for sports from plantaginea. The hybrids, no way. Although I'd love to see it someday : )

THAT is a GREAT visual aid, Ken! Thanks.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 19:05