Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

The many face of June?

prairie_love
9 years ago

I know that I have three June hosta. I very much believe that the ones I will show below are those three June (although you all have a remarkable way of changing my opinion). What amazes me is their difference. They are all in the same bed, but in different parts of the bed getting different amounts of sunlight. They were all planted within a year of one another.

To me, it is striking that only one is blooming yet. These photos were all taken yesterday so gives you an idea of their status.

This one has quite a lot of morning sun

This one has the fullest shade

This one is in mixed sun, but more shade than the first

Do you think these are all June?

Comments (20)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Not so sure about that third one being a june.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I agree that the first two are June but the last one is not. It reminds me of Vulcan.
    Vanessa

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. This is why I get totally lost. Numbers 1 and 3 to me look most similar. Yet you guys are saying 1 and 2 are the same, 3 is different. I am really not seeing differences between 1 and 3 - (except the flowers) - can you help me see why you think they are different?

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I agree, #1 and #2 are June. #3 is not, though I'm not sure what it is.

You're right June looks very different in different amounts of sun. Here are pics of my two Junes, first the one getting several hours of sun.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

And this June never gets direct sunlight. Same shaped leaves and pattern of variegation, but colors much darker.

To my eyes, your #3 has different angle on the petioles and also holds the leaf at a different angle. Leaf also appears slightly cupped to me. Are you sure they are all the same age?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

And these are Junes, too.

Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

In pic#1 some of the centers have faded to white in the sun but some of the later emerging leaves and those more shaded have retained the light green center.

In pic#3 every leaf has a cream or white center which might indicate that that is the colour they had when they first emerged. Unlike pic#1 where the centers have faded to white but were not originally white.

Some hostas look very different when planted in more sun and June is one of them.

Barb

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 9:55

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Funny how we all got the the last pic and said "woah! that's not June." Here's a pic of mine in filtered shade.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Here is another face of June --- this division (one of four) was planted in full sun this summer.

Jo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I didn't answer the questions, sorry. The third is not June because the centre markings are different, for one. Not just the colour but the pattern as well.

The first one appears to be the most mature as it is displaying some corrugation on many of the leaves. This is something I observed in one of my Junes last year. It gets the most sun so it stands to reason it would have more blooms and bloom quickest I would think. The second one may not bloom this year...I've never placed one in more than just afternoon shade. Would hostas bloom in that much shade? Anyone?

The third may not be flowering yet because it's not June. Once you have it identified, you'll know when it should bloom.

They are lovely plants, Prairie and the first one I just love!

Jo

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

All of you have such gorgeous photos of June. Mine is only two years old and planted in full sun. I have a lot of sunny spots so those that will take the sun get stuck there. So my June has a very white center but I prefer pic#1, HostaHosta, Don, and Joes's. Maybe I will have to get a second one to plant in more shade. I'm thinking that is definitely what I will have to do.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

June back on May 7th. Gotta love June.

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

My baby - The blue is probably going to be pronounced where its located.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

All the different looks but there are two things in common. 1) they are all June and 2) they are all gorgeous. Mine from a couple of weeks ago. It's gets sun after about 2.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Hi Prairie Love,

They all look like June to me. The right-most leaves on that first plant look just like the leaves on the third one...

• User
    9 years ago

Here is my June, in April 2014 soon after it was emerged. It is still in this spot, and gets morning sunlight broken by high pecan tree shade. Note the color of the midleaf, which is its early season look.

Here it is May 6 2014. I added English Sunrise to make my trio of related hosta. That solid yellow is the same color that June AND Teatime share with English Sunrise. All are still in that same location, with only the sun climbing higher in the sky to change intensity of the light reaching these hosta.

Then here it is another month later in June 2014

The colors again are consistent on the three hostas.
    I think given that your #3 plant is given more shade than the #1 plant, it would not be so white....if it were June.

Here is my June in Sept 2013, in much the same location, the sun having gone back lower on the horizon and the midleaf color darkening to a greener look, not a lighter look.

Have you thought about Georgia Sweetheart as a possible ID? I'll upload one in a minute.

• User
    9 years ago

Taken July 20, 2014. It has a new flush of leaves showing the color it starts with in the midleaf. What do you think? Does the nursery you got it from also sell GA. Sweetheart?

• User
    9 years ago

I take that back. Vanessa is closest when she suggests Vulcan.
    Not Georgia Sweetheart. I don't have Vulcan though.

Edited to add this:
    Vulcan is a sport of Capt Kirk. While it is claimed that GA Sweetheart is a sport of American Sweetheart, Danny (van echte???) says it is most certainly also a sport of Captain Kirk. That's what I found in MYHOSTAS.BE
    So either one is in the right ballpark, IMHO.

Gee whiz, hosta genealogy is as complicated as people genealogy!

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:53

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought this might help us to see if #1 and #3 are not both June. I put together this collage. Two photos are from plant #1, two are from plant #3. I will tell you at the bottom of this post which is which.

I don't know if this will sway anyone's opinion, but this is the #3 plant right next to Cherry Berry. You can see the similarity in leaf color of the two.

ANSWER The top two leaves are from plant #1, the bottom two are from plant #3.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Here is my Vulcan still in the grower's pot. All the yellow centred leaves are new growth.