Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Rainbow's End

prairie_love
9 years ago

Now you have me questioning many of my hosta that I thought I had correctly identified. This one is supposed to be Rainbow's End. Do you agree? (with Maui Buttercups in the background)

Comments (12)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Absolutely YES! Those leaves look almost fake plastic and that is (for me) what makes Rainbow's End so unique.

-Babka

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I agree with Babka.

Vanesa

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Totally agree...coouuuld be a Vulcan, though...

Don b.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to TOTALLY ignore you, Don B. :)

Given that I know I bought Rainbow's End, I know I planted it in this approximate location, and this plant looks like it (not to mention I had never even heard of Vulcan till a day or two ago), I'm going with RE. Thank you for the confirmation.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Don- no way a Vulcan. Vulcan has a much stronger dark green margin and doesn't have that plastic shine. Vulcan is new to me this year, but even as a youngun' it doesn't look anything (to me) lie Rainbow's End.

Do you have both? Do yours look similar?

After all, they are both the "green and white" ones. ;-)

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Ignore him,it IS Rainbows End! I just planted mine this year,and that is its look. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I got a Rainbows End as a bonus gift for a large purchase from Hosta Choice and I just love the shine and plastic vibrant look . I can hardly wait for it to grow larger It is a real beauty
    Faye

• User
    9 years ago

Hey, PrairieLove, your Rainbows End sure looks pretty. If you want another super shiny and smooth leaf hosta, take a look at Lederhosen. It might be due to my weather MELTING it into a patent leather plastic green shine, but it does that every year. I'm told other folks do not have the same look.

Lederhosen is fragrant. I've had mine since 2010May. I guess it is about mature, but it's been moved from ground to pot during 2011, and here it is now. Well, on July 20 2014. It will lose most of the veins into a smooth leaf in the next month or so.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Update on Rainbows End versus Vulcan! I just found,and planted a Vulcan in my new garden space. Not only does it not resemble Rainbows End that much,but mine has yellow streaks in the center,along with white! Note: Don in Colorado. See Pic,taken today. I didn't even know my local nursery had these,and this is a young,but very nice one I found. Phil

• User
    9 years ago

Aha! Lawdy lawdy, I hear a cheerful note in Phil's voice. He had to go to Rainbow's End to find it, a whole pot of leprechaun gold. Good to have your cheerful note sounding loud and clear, Phil.

• prairie_love
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccassin - that Lederhosen is very pretty, and I do want more fragrants! I would not want all my hosta to have the "plastic" look, but enjoy a few for variety.

I'm thinking of an order before fall, so may add Lederhosen to it, thank you for the suggestion.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Prairie_love- Lederhosen doesn't get shiny at all for me. We don't get the heat level here to melt off the glaucous bloom, and I don't think you do way up North. If your blues normally stay blue, Lederhosen will won't get shiny on you. It is a unusual shade of gray green that is unlike many others. Get it. ;-)

-Babka