A couple of new gardens made last year:

Taken from the opposite end:

A wide shot, taken about a month earlier:

Wendy

Comments (16)

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, the photos turned out smaller than I would have liked.

The top picture was where my pond was for many years, but my husband got tired of the upkeep and talked me into filling it in.

Wendy

• hostanista
    10 years ago

I love before and after shots. Great job, Wendy! They've really filled in well in just one year.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Nice transitions. Is you husband happy?

Paul

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great job!

Don B.

• newhostaaddict
    10 years ago

looks like its been there for many years..

great job..

jill

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Very nice!

Karen

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments! My husband is pretty happy with the new garden :)

Here is another photo, not really a before and after, but a progression of the shrub
    Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold'...amazing growth rate. I decided to prune it into a tree
    since it's so fast growing.

Wendy

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Wendy, Beautiful gardens. The hostas look big for just being there for one year!

What are the 2 blue hostas along the fence? How much sun do they get? They seem to retain the blue really well. I am trying to find one that will stay blue longer.

Thanks
    Vivian

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Vivian,
    Some of the hostas were moved in here from other gardens, so not all were new. The blue one in the 2nd pic combo is Blueberry Muffin. If you look closely at it, you can see that the front of the plant is greening up. The mid-day sun hits just the front of it. The back half is still very blue. The other blue is Bulletproof. The sun never hits it directly so it stays a deep blue all season.

Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

Wendy, beautiful growth already. First class all the way.

My Bulletproof is almost solid green soon after emerging. I did not know it was supposed to have BLUE! It's been holding out on me. So I make that note in its info file. Vedy in-ter-essssting

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

What a difference you've made. You've really beautified your space, which is always a good thing. The hostas look great along your fence.

And you make me want to try Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' again. This time I'd start with a plant that size instead of a twig from mail order.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Is that Liberty along the fence Wendy? I have an immature Liberty and a mature Sagae. The Liberty leaves are already larger than Sagae with slightly wider margins. But that said I love the way both draw your eyes to them in the gardens.

Your fence garden is lovely. Nicely done Wendy.

Theesa

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

Wendy,
    Nicely done. You have some gorgeous hostas there, I particularly like your Liberty.
    Terri

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all :)

Theresa & Terri, that hosta is a Liberty look-a-like, called 'Majesty'.
    It looks more like Liberty than the 3 actual Liberty's I have.
    In fact, I have another look-a-like and that one I like better too, called 'Magic Fire'. Here's a pic:

'Magic Fire'

Wendy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics of the Sutherland Gold. What a grower! I have a spot in the yard that could use a plant like that.

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Loved seeing your before and afters. You've done a super job. Your hostas look so good. Your Magic Fire is a beauty!