Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A companion plant question, flowering Elephant Ears ..

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 21:12

I was out giving some water to the Hosta, and trees, when I noticed a different pod shape in my Elephant Ears. I keep it in a pot and move it here and there depending on my mood, Any plant with huge leaves is a good plant ! So its a mobile companion at my place ;)

This year however it appears to be trying to make two blooms? It never has done this before..I think I have wintered this plant two years so far.. I don't know if the extreme heat it survived caused it to attempt a flower? or pod of some sort.. But this is new to me for sure..
I am of course new to gardening in general. I will be gone a week so if i don't answer right away you will know why ! Its dusk, but going to get a couple pics right now !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A companion plant question, flowering Elephant Ears ..

IMG_2818

IMG_2820

IMG_2819

o

Ah yes, they do flower. They like a lot of water, and rich soil, because they are really heavy heavy feeders. If it is blooming, it is a happy plant.

If it goes dormant in the winter, you can separate the new tubers into another pot. They can spread quite far in the ground.

We are a lot warmer in winter than your zone, but still the ones planted in the garden are subject to freeze damage. They melt down after a freeze to be a pile looks like elephant poop, and that seems to protect the bulb or tuber from itself freezing. Then next spring like a Phoenix rising from its ashes, a new shoot comes through the rotted organic matter. I generally cover it with a lot of pine straw, and then if it is raining a big plastic tarp over that should it be freezing rain. But they spread easily, and they grow back readily.

If you want to discuss elephant ears specifically, take a look at another garden forum, Tropicalesque. You'll discover folks there who have tropical style gardens all over the country.

But then, hosta look tropical-esque as well, with their strappy leaves and magnificent flower scapes. Fits right in.

o

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know they bloomed.

bkay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here