Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Hosta that I think is a fragrant

Posted by Hostas_for_Barb 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:18

I picked this Hosta up at a local Hort. Sale a couple of years ago. I think there is an eye that is reverting in the back as there is one scape up in the clump that has purple flowers but I believe it looks nothing like the others. The other buds are not out yet. The underside of the leaf is shiny.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Hosta that I think is a fragrant

Hello there! Could you tell me the name of the plant in the lower right corner of your photo? I have both hostas pictured above but unfortunately don't know either is called!

o

del

This post was edited by funnthsun on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:24

o

My first impression was plantaginea. When it blooms, you'll know for sure.

bk

o

Bkay: I have Plantaginea but mine doesn't have an upright vase shape. This NOID is different. Is your plantaginea upright and vase shaped?

o

Actually, I don't know. I would have to go look.

Just wait a week or so and it will bloom. If no one has a good answer before then, you will probably get it then.

bk

o

royal standard is more upright.. and a freaking weed ...

3 inch near white flowers ..

ken

o

Ken, Royal Standard had been one I had considered. I saw one in my friend's fragrant bed yesterday and thought it looked like my NOID. It should bloom in the next week I expect so I will post another pic then. So if the flowers are near white, Royal Standard would be a good bet? If they are all white, probably Plantaginea.

o

No, it's the length of the blossom. Royal Standard will be about 3" long. Planaginea will be about 6" long.

bk

o

nothing compares with Ps 6 inches ... sounds like a bad joke ...

it is the one genetic trait.. that she does not throw forward to her offspring ... and for some reason.. the progeny are never more than 3" ... no 4.. no 5.. etc ...

ken

ahhhh what the hell.. how about an old pic .. and note.. P slipped so it looks less than 6 ...
 photo plantagineaprimerbig.jpg

o

thanks for straightening me out bkay and Wow Ken, that really spells it out for me - love the blossom chart. I am a visual learner so that is great! And I guess I can confirm whether what I have always thought was Plantiginea really is once she blooms. Is she really the only 6" bloomer?

o

if you find another.. let me know ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here