Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w3csx

Seducer, are you lured in?

w3csx
10 years ago

I have seen the photos in catalogs and websites and this chap looks quite intriguing. So far I have found it in three nurseries. But every time it looks battered in person. The edges of the leaf look to be damaged. Either chewed or burned up much like Frances Williams gets with its desiccation problems.

It is making me think twice about picking one up. Is this a common issue? The specimens I have seen all look to have come from the same grower. So I wonder if the way the hothouse cared from them is the issue.

Jason

Comments (15)

• w3csx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More photos of the damaged leaves.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hello, Jason!

I find that at this point of summer, virtually most plants, hosta included, look bedraggled, beaten up, chewed up, tattered, torn, etc etc at any nursery. Things slow down, the level of maintenance declines and this is reflected in the condition of the various plants.

I'm betting that next spring, this hosta will be beautiful for you. What it looks like now is no indication of how it will look next year. I don't have this one, but many others do and I'm sure someone will post a photo of theirs to show you that you have nothing to worry about.

Happy hosta gathering! :-)
    Jo.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I don't have one, but I've seen a few awesome specimens here in the hosta forum. I know Delaware Donna posted a pic of one she got a week or two ago through the mail, and it looked quite clean.

Don B.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Mine looks a bit beat up but that's because it got touched by a late frost and it is growing in full sun. And it's August. Most hostas by now are looking a little to a lot tired by now.

Karen

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

What mine looks like in August

Most amount of money I ever paid for a hosta because I seen it in the show garden of the hosta nursery and HAD to have it.

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Actually, here's a progression of this season:

May

June

July

August

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I don't this you will regret purchasing this beautiful hosta. Here is the photo I posted a couple of weeks ago of the 'Seducer' I purchased online from Plant Delights nursery.

DD

• User
    10 years ago

Ah yes, Donna, you made a nice score. PDN (Tony Avent's place) is a bit pricey, and I had trouble with them sending the wrong hosta in my very first order, but all were healthy well-grown plants. I ordered my first hosta from them back in May 2010.

H. 'Seducer' is a Stuart Asch hosta. Mine came from Naylor Creek Nursery in Oregon. Very satisfied with it. It is in its 2nd year growing in zone 9a.

Here it emerges nicely in April 2013. Which is late for us, but all were late this year it seems.

Here it is in June 2013 with a nice scape, white flowers, and it set some seed pods too, a bit later in July I think. Haven't harvested them yet though. What impresses me is the scape is substantial enough to hold up that long flowering end without wimping out.

Mine is in a container, and is located where it gets morning sun. With the paler margins, I think the leaves tend to be more susceptible to the hot afternoon sun. Consider it for a morning sun location, and maybe your margins won't melt.

Supposed to have a small wiggly white line between the margin and the midleaf, Hard to tell with my hosta being immature, but here is a leaf closeup taken May 2013

• w3csx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand it is late in the season. But I guess I was more worried this was a common issue. I have a couple Hosta that no mater where I put them they burn up. 'Frances Williams' and 'Snow Cap' to name a few. Sounds like the few of you who have had it for some time have been pleased with it. Hate to spend that kind of money and not like it after.

Thanks for the advice! I think i'll try it.
    Jason

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Jason, it's me again...if you have a spot that has good air circulation but shady, try relocating your FW there. I'm in Ontario where we have hot summers and the FW I have in shady area did not get desiccated but the one nearer the house did, understandably as the brick from the house emitted extra heat...being under the deck is poor also, but I'm revamping all my hosta beds. I'm not too proud to show off my poorly-sited FW, but wanted to show you how it's faring so far. Its not so bad. Poor thing's been there for at least 7years....uh oh, the seven-year-itch! Don't give up on her yet even tho' Seducer is a show-off! Lol. They just might like being paired together!

I don't, yet, have Seducer.

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Gilbert H. Wild has it on sale right now for $6.75.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Hi there, I got Seducer from Plant Delights in late April, I think. I have to say my leaves are also melting out on the edges and I am disappointed. Mine is planted in morning light and sitting behind a hydrangea. I found this thread by searching on Google for 'Hosta Seducer melt' lol..

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mine did the same thing the year that I first got it, but it was fine the next year. Give it some grace, it's going through a lot of adjustment coming out of a greenhouse, then a tiny Spring and on to upper 90s already. It'll be your fav next year, you watch!

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Okay, fun, I will keep my fingers crossed! Since we are in the same area (and I'm guessing you probably got yours from PDN as well), I bet you're right! It has been a rough season for transitioning new plants, no doubt.

• User
    9 years ago

Here is mine 4/25/14

and then June 2 2014 in full bloom.
    Remember we are zone 9a and this plant is located where it gets morning sun and a good bit of afternoon heat as well. I water that end of the garden more (north end). It set seedpods last year, and I think so far a couple this year.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022