Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Let's See Your NOIDs!

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Got any NOIDs you'd care to post? I'll start off with my mystery blue NOIDs...Let's see yours.

Don B.

Comments (74)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't know what this one is, either. Maybe next year.

Don B,

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Mad Planter,

That looks like Shade Fanfare to me.

Steve

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

i was byccling in the Grand Rapids MI area earlier today and I saw this plant, what is it please ?

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

i was byccling in the Grand Rapids MI area earlier today and I saw this plant, what is it please ?

{{!gwi}}

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

another plant i saw riding my bike today around the Grand Rapids MI area today,. cool, what izitplease?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

HH...the first pic is a Castor Bean plant. It also comes in green. I used to grow them...they make fine 'tropical' specimens in pots around the deck. They are annuals here and I bought them as seeds...they germinate quickly if you scarify the seeds prior to planting.

Mug...I'm so happy to have it. My daughter's girlfriend thought I would like it ...I love it...still waiting for a pic of full plant...would help with I.D. When I find out, will definitely post. :-). bTW...that's a pretty colour of bloom on your NOID!

Jo.

10 years ago

HH...the second pic looks like a very healthy specimen of an Ipomoea aka Moonflower. Flower resembles a white morning glory although the Moonflower is huge in comparison. It's beautiful and also an annual. I grew it years back...sometimes the fallen seeds would emerge in the spring but that was a rarity. I grew it near the swimming pool in full sun. The huge flowers looked beautiful at dusk. If you look up Datura, it has similar flowers though larger and longer.....you will see the seed pods up close..cool.

FYI. The Ricinus (castor bean) is poisonous and is labelled on seed packet. It doesn't grow "beans" ...the red circular spiky things are the "flowers/seed pods" ...when they mature, they are packed with loads of seeds. Really tough pod. Very cool plant if you get one.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 7:40

• User
    10 years ago

Yep, castor bean is extremely poisonous in all its parts. Ricin (sp?) comes from it.

Jo, the moonflower is a vine, and it is related to the morning glory vine. Ipomoea alba is moonflower vine.

There are some very large leafed plants like the one pictured in question, and some are mallows. I do not know what that one shown above is, but think I ought to know, because I've seen it growing down here.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Removed from parent's garden...probably purchased 70's or early 80's and commonly available at the time.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 12:36

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

What the heck is this? Okay - I know this is a hosta forum and hosta ID thread. But this came in two pots of hostas I bought. The dirt in both pots had moss and clumps of this flat leafed succulent type thing. The leaves are less than 1/2" and tend to lay over one another. And they each have a little hole in the top of the leaf. One of the clumps has covered all of the free space in a half gallon pot. Not sure if you can determine anything from this really horrible picture taken with my phone in the dark last night.

After you stop laughing it would be appreciated if you could let me know if you know what it is.

Teresa

{{!gwi}}

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Comment of Castor Beans and relationship with hostas. I suspect their poisonous roots are why voles run away when castor oil is sprayed into the ground. How come castor oil can be consumed by humans-is the poisonous ingredient refined out?
    Hmmmm! This is a job for "www/Super-sleuth"!

Theresa Ann

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Questionn answered. Ricin is the toxic substance in castor oil and the protein is deactivated by heating the oil pressed from castor bean seeds. Apparently the voles choose not to risk it. :-)

Theresa Ann

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Theresa Ann,

Your mother must have never given you castor oil, or you would know that it has to be toxic. Nothing that tastes that bad can be good for you. That's why they never give you more than a teaspoon of it. That's also why you get the results you get from ingesting it.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is a noid that I've had forever. It sends scapes up about April 15 and is in bloom by May 15 with an almost white flower. The scapes are at least 36" tall.

I bought a fortunei aureomarginata this year and it has a similar look to it. The leaves are about 5X8 (in a pot and in Texas, so it's smaller than it would be up north). It's about 36" across.

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

4 leaflover , a pic of some of our 'Geisha' - there was one time some controversy over this name vs 'Ani Machi'

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

4 leaflover , a pic of some of our 'Geisha' - there was one time some controversy over this name vs 'Ani Machi'

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

Duplicate but am reusing space with....
    Mocc...it certainly ain't no vine, huh? Lol look at that gorgeous monster!
    Do you think either of these two would vie for position in your tropical theme?
    :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:23

10 years ago

Theresa-mn...no pic but sight unseen your description sounds like lichen
    Uh- oh...the duplicating bug is at it again . Lol

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 16:17

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

jo - yes - I googled for photos and it is lichens. How is it I've never seen this odd plant before? It's really pretty interesting.

Thanks,
    Teresa

10 years ago

You're welcome! I see it often enough in pots at nurseries and such and have brought plants home with this little "carpet". It IS cool looking...I transplanted it under a tree but it didn't survive. . I'm not up to speed on it but I think when it's present it indicates to me that the pots been around for awhile!!! Big lol

It reminds me of moss and the environment conducive to such growth. In other words, I dunno LOL Kinda cute in a way. :-)

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

thanks for the plants id help earlier !
    sorry 4 the dupes
    here's a noid pic from here - front deep green one

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

around here the noids just pop up in the pathway

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

a noid my wife bought as a noid , talk about melt-out!

• egflynn
    10 years ago

Bought as an itty bitty Diana Remembered. Clearly it's not, but I like it anyway. It's about the same color as Fragrant Bouquet and Shade Fanfare. It has yet to bloom, but this is really it's first good growing year. The previous two years it was ravaged by rabbits, along with all my other hostas.

• User
    10 years ago

EGFlynn, your NOID could be Sweet Innocence, which is a sport of Fragrant Bouquet, similar coloring.

It gets more glowing color with sun and in the early spring, then with shade turns a darker green. Lovely plant.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

hostahillbilly, Your NOID looks a lot like my Dancing in the Rain, burn out and all.

• egflynn
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mocc! I'll put it on the list of possibilities.

Hostahillbilly, I like your dark green, pointy tipped noid.

Here's another unknown, this one from the botanical garden. They don't list it in their records. Green Piecrust, maybe? It still had pale lavender blooms in early July. Whatever it is, I'd like to have one.

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    10 years ago

I have several NOIDs that I bought at the Children's Hospital Charity Plant Sale last year. Here's the blue one:

{{gwi:1083845}}

{{gwi:1083846}}

It's flowering now.

10 years ago

Here's the big green one:

{{gwi:1083847}}

{{gwi:1083848}}

{{gwi:1083850}}

10 years ago

This was supposed to be albomarginata but the white margins look too wide. It looks like my Patriot but Patriot is a darker green.

{{gwi:1083852}}

{{gwi:1083854}}

10 years ago

The last one is green with yellow rims:

{{gwi:1083855}}

• User
    10 years ago

The picture immediately above my post with the Green w/Yellow margins, a little smaller leaf than the heuchera in the same picture. I'm thinking a Grand Tiara? How long have you had it? Nice purple blooms on it. When it blooms and the color of them is sometimes the final identifying factor. It could be a small or a S/M

Sandysoil, you have some very pretty well cared for hosta. I love the big green one.....hard to pin down a greenie!!!.....and that one albomarginata/Patriot wannabe, I love that green. The color is similar to my Fragrant Fire, but not the leaf shape. My problem with identifying hosta is I've never seen (except in pictures) more than a handful of mature hosta. Bummer.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

madplanter, thanks for the hint, will investigate

• Lee
    10 years ago

hostahillbilly look at Sea Thunder too.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

tnx melati - will do !

• kalija
    10 years ago

This was labled Earth Angel and at first I thought the color difference was due to it being in too much sun. But it is flowering right now and the flower does not look like the earth angel flower pics in the library, so I guess it is a NOID....

This post was edited by kalija on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 6:48

10 years ago

kalija, that looks like my Fragrant Bouquet.
    Sheila

10 years ago

Mocc, thanks. The hostas have done well considering I haven't paid much attention to them. Been busy with other projects in the garden. I looked at Grand Tiara and it seems that the margins are wider on GT. This the second year for it.
    Sheila

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

I just have one NOID, it gets a very tall straight flower stalk in July with deep purple flowers. Wish I took a pic of the flowers, because I can't remember if they were solid colored, striped, or how they were shaped. It did not set any pods.

Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

Wendy, I have a Holly's Dazzler that has the twisty leaf tips like that, and it had stout scapes with purple striped blooms fairly early in the year here. Of course, in your zone, it could bloom much later.

I was told the twisty tip could mean ventricosa in the family.
    Here is my Holly's Dazzler with the blooms etc.

• kalija
    10 years ago

Hey - thanks, Sheila - it DOES look like Fragrant Bouquet. Hmmm, they had dozens of them - there are a lot of people around here wondering why their Earth Angel doesn't look quite right! I guess I will have to order one from Hallsons in the spring to make sure I get the right one. I can't complain though - she is a really good grower and really very pretty.

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Several of the nurseries here are starting to print the prices on the plant containers. Maybe they should start printing the names also.

Your case does not sound like tag switching as there were so many. But when shopping I have noticed tags in pots that I knew were incorrect.

Teresa

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Sandysoil, I have three Patriots that I acquired in 2011. This year I noticed that two of them are a darker green, and one a medium green. I am thinking that sometimes there are slight differences between hosta. Otherwise they look very similar. I guess more time will tell. But don't dismiss the possibilility yours being a Patriot yet.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Sandysoil, here is a picture of Patriot leaves from two different hosta.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kalija, I would bet that's a 'Fragrant Bouquet' as well, sporting some nice fragrant blooms : )

Don B.

10 years ago

Newhostalady, Thanks, I can see the difference in the greens for your Patriots. My NOID green is very bright. It gets a lot more sun than my Patriot. I guess I'll just call it a Patriot wannabe until another ID comes along.
    Sheila

10 years ago

kalija, Fragrant Bouquet is one of my favorites - grows great, looks beautiful and smells good - what more can you ask!

• kalija
    10 years ago

I think thats a lock then - I got a good whiff tonight and the flowers are fragrant. Thanks for the help everyone!

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Thanks Moccasin for your reply... I too thought it had similarities to Ventricosa, so maybe that's what it is.

Wendy

• User
    10 years ago

I don't know about everybody else, but my head is dizzy trying to keep what plant is the asnwer referring to, and what question is being applied.......so I beg you to pardon if I make inane replies. Duhhhhh, say what?

I'm fortunate that I can jump right in behind Wendy and what I say is "connected" to her plant......thank heaven this day is ending on a happy note......I'm so tired, but fixed an inspired shrimp dish tonight, and now I'm done in.

Wendy, there might be hope I can tell the difference in species hosta, maybe one day I can do the fancy sports too. I really like Ventricosa with that cupie doll flip of a curl on each leaf. .....Oh. are there people on the forum who have no childhood memorie of a Cupie Doll? Oops. Well, I remember. And now I have a couple of them and can recognize the family characteristics. YESSSSSSS!