Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not what I expected!

Posted by smithstudios71 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 21:26

I was out snooping around in one of the Hosta beds the other day and came upon this little leaf growing out of a H. Great Expectations. I looked through all the sports of this plant and did not see one that is all that similar. Would it be worth it to try to divide this out?

photo 1433b80f-e162-448b-9a1a-9f3a4347764f_zps72f6f21e.jpg

photo a72efec2-db73-4b31-90e7-ada7a0042102_zps07b1477f.jpg

Devon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not what I expected!

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 0:12

You need a whole eye like that first, not just one leaf. Then you need to see if it comes back next year looking like that so streaky and cool! Many hostas have a few weird leaves now and then, enough to get your heart beating faster, only to disappear the following year. Take notes to remind yourself to be watching that plant next Spring. (and keep your fingers crossed that it will!)

-Babka

o

the big leafs margin is too thin.. the little leafs too thick ...

it will sort itself out.. or die.. its choice.. not really yours.. lol ...

ken

o

One year one of my h. GE had an all-streaked second flush of leaves. The following year it was normal, is probably part of their growing up experience. Bernd

o

"...of their growing up experience" ... I like that, Bernd! So true.....i find that some go through an awkward stage, like children do :-) , but they all do one thing or another, at one time or another, to stand out...then they blend in again....I just LOVE these little surprises...bonus if the plant decides to "sport" ...I still haven't done anything about both June sports...they are growing nicely together...sweet harmony.

KEN...here's a question for you..I hope you return to read this...in your experience, can you say that any hosta that starts to grow a solid colour, and continues in subsequent years, will eventually end up a solid colour? Perhaps this should be a sep. post?

o

yes.. i will answer it.. in its own post.. with a searchable title ....

ken

o

Just chiming in, Devon... agreeing with previous comments... Great Ex is one of those that will show lots of variation on the same plant. You can expect to see wider and narrower centers and sometimes streakiness on the same plant as long as it grows -

and I hope you are one of those for whom GE becomes a showpiece and not a little tombstone in the garden!

o

Devon....how long have you had your GE? Does age of a plant have any bearing on the appearance of sports? I have two GE's...a lovely 2-yr. old and a dwindling-recently-potted-up one but-showing-progress nevertheless. It will be interesting to watch this one grow now that you've discovered a sport.

I realized, too late, that my June reference in my earlier post was side-tracking yours. For that I apologize. I shall endeavour to be more cognizant of subject of posting.

Jo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here