Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanovice

Foliar Nematodes?

hostanovice
9 years ago

Does this look like it have some foliar Nematodes in my garden?

Comments (7)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Sure does look like them. You can do the test at home yourself. Check the link below.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Home test for nematodes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yes ...

most of the long tern hardcore ignore them ...

ken

• hostanovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think that will be my plan. My hostas just started showing this, but I would estimate that signs of the nematode can be seen on about 20-30 of my plants. My only question would be would it be worth it (or even possible) to try do something to destroy these things so they don't spread to ALL my hostas or would it just be a losing frustrating battle??

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Let's hope Bernd comments or Steve_mass. They have both dealt with them on hosta in the ground. They were pretty successful, I think. But, I don't think it does any good to dig up your hosta and throw them away. They reside in the soil. You have to do something to kill them.

I've only had them on a potted hosta, and I just threw it away.

bk

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Yes, these leaves show damage by foliar nematodes. I do not discard such plants, because digging them out with soil, putting all into garbage, getting new plants and soil is too much work for me.

I use Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer, from Home Depot, and sprayed plants every month or 2 weeks with double doses. I had that nematode damage 3 weeks late this year, only on a few plants and few leaves. Most previously infected plants are clear of foliar nematodes now.

I bought and received a bottle of Bio Safe and will apply part of it soon, the rest next early spring when pips come out.

Most important is to use only clean tools on hostas. Between working on hostas, i.e. shears and spades should be brushed and soaked in 10% bleach solution to eradicate any viruses and nematodes, and prevent spreading those.
    Bernd

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

There's a "prescription" that calls for digging the hosta and removing all the soil. You soak the hosta in very warm/hot water at a certain temperature for X number of minutes. Then you discard most of the soil it was living in and pour boiling water in the hole.

If this is the only one, I might consider this option. The hosta will definitely be smaller next year (or die), but it's possible that you could eliminate the problem from your garden.

Let me know if it appeals to you and I'll help you find the specifics.

bk

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

I tried a little safer method in that I treated mine in the Fall with Biosafe and marked each hosta, then in the Spring I dug them up as soon as I started seeing growth, washed all the dirt off then soaked them in a bucket 0f 10% bleach, left them dry for an hour, then potted them up. Of the 14 I treated, only three had signs of minor infestation that I will retreat this Fall and Spring. (Will be alopt easier, since they are already potted.) Best of luck.