Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilfarmgirl

Preparing the ground for my Hosta

LilFarmGirl
9 years ago

Ok friends, here are the pictures of the trees in my yard in which I would like to make my Hosta beds. I do not have a tiller so what suggestions can you make on how to get started. I need information from what kind of soil I need to buy to how to overwinter them.

Comments (38)

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is tree #2 since I can only post one at a time and one more coming.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And trees #3. There are 2 trees in this picture. They are in a shade only area.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Use a hose or some spray paint to define the edge of your bed. Get your shovel out and start digging. Cut any root smaller than 2 inches in diameter. Figure out what kind of dirt you have. Sandy soil will take different amendments than clay. Let us know when you get that much done. Have a good time and remember you only have to do the hard part once. Others may have different suggestions.

Kathy

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

What kinds of trees are these? That could make a huge difference. I struggle with Maple tree roots. When I remove a plant from the garden, I find tree roots practically strangling my plants. You look like you have quite a bit of room to work with.

Kathy has a good idea---mark your area to define your bed. Then can we see new pictures?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

You can get the paint at HD to mark your line. It sprays upside down.

When you tell us what you are starting with, we might be able to help. Is it clay, sand, what color is it, what kind of trees are those? With that, we can give you specific advice.

An alternative to digging is lasagna gardening. I have not personally done it, but others have reported success on this forum. Lots of info out there, just Google it.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Might want to mention what type of grass that is, as well. Bermuda has to be treated a bit different that most others, or you'll have a mess later.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I would put the beds in with the idea of possibly joining them toghether later on. It looks like there is plenty of room to more or less let the beds flow around your yard. Take easy mowing angles into consideration as well. You can use a hose to deside the beds then use paint or a bag of flower with the corner cut off will work as well. Flower works best if the ground is already moist and it takes alot. I then edge the bed with a shovel making a shallow thrench I can get the mower wheel in and a boundry from the grass. This is were I will get probly chewed out. I spray the new bed with roundup wait a few weeks then spray again anything thats still alive. I then wait another week add the new plants and multch.On bigger beds I till and add lots of manure ,sand and sawdust. It makes it easier to plant things anywhere you want to because the ground is already prepreped but I haven,t noticed plants doing any better planted in that type of bed. Above all have fun , new flowerbeds are exciting. I am always stealing a little more land from my horses pasture.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I am taking all advice. The trees are pine in the first 2 pictures and I don't know what the other ones are in my back yard. When I get off work I will take another picture with a better view of both. I will also mark my hosta where I want then. On my lunch break now...Gotta go. Until later...

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

Let me start by saying that I'm in zone 4 with a frost free growing season from late May to mid september - in other words, what works for me may not be such a good plan for you.

When I started, my hosta garden looked as shown in the picture - a field of weeds growing under mostly eastern white pine. The soil was very compacted with some stones mixed in as it had at one time 40 years ago been a riding ring. It was also extremely acidic from the pine needles falling.

My plan from the beginning was to build a garden about 60 feet wide and about 140 feet long (give or take a few feet). I worked away it in pieces taking about 4 years to ready the soil and begin planting ... and another few years to fill in the plantings. The garden is now 10 years old.

My strategy was simple. I mowed the high weeds then covered a section at a time with local topsoil (made from compost by our local recyclers) about 6 inches deep. I planted it very sparsely (because I'm impatient!) but otherwise let it sit for a season fallow. Weeding was done (and continues to this day) by using a torch (a cane with a propane cylinder that burns the weeds) allowing me to stand. A pass about every 3 weeks seemed to work well. Nothing grows particularly well in heavy shade, acid soil and almost desrt dryness from pine sheltering.

I built flagstone walkways as I went and also after the first few years, installed an irrigation system pumping water from a nearby river. The end result has been a slow movement toward a fully planted garden with a mix of both mature and juvenile hostas. The garden is relatively easily cared for and once the water problem was resolved the hostas grow very well in the rich soil on top of a well drained base.

• dougald_gw
    9 years ago

To complete the message, my garden today appears as follows ... pic taken from about the same place as the pic in the previous post.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Nice, Dougald.

bk

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. I know I took a long time to get back to this but I have so many other projects that I am working on (school on line, work and trying to do stuff inside & outside of the house). Here is the first picture of the tree that I want to start on first. It is a Pine tree. All of that stuff that is around it is old pine leaves that someone put around the tree that I am trying to dig out. This tree gives morning sun and a little afternoon sun. I want to put my Asiatic lilies (orange and yellow), and tulip bulbs around it with the Hostas for next year. Can I just add some soil and manure to this pine mixture and till it together?

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Standing between the house and the tree picture.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another view.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

"Can I just add some soil and manure to this pine mixture and till it together?."

Not without trashing the pine's roots. You can top dress it with maybe 2-3 inches tops, but don't try and till it in.

tj

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

....especially with pine which has roots close to the surface.

Might I suggest that a free form outline would look more natural and be far more appealing. Myself I would go big and incorporate the bushes shown into the mulched area. I like to use and edger rather than any type of plastic or metal edgers.

Bkay and madeyna are giving you good advice. Lay out the bed with a hose and then paint it or just go by the hose outline. RoundUp will be the easiest way to kill the grass and as long as you don't get it on foliage it will not kill the tree. Careful near those bushes though if you expand and include them.

A crop circle will look okay around the tree, but a free flowing form expanding to include your other trees, bushes and shrubs will be a Wow factor and cut down on mowing.

Check out the link (look at 'The Amazing Truth Behind Crop Circles' in 'Design') to see some extreme examples of exactly what you don't want to do....in my opinion. .

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Crop circles

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 8:17

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have to start with the tree then work my way back because the area by the shrubs is low and it holds water if we get a lot of rain. can I use the manure and humus to fill it. It's cheaper than buying all miracle grow. I will remove all the old pine straw first.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I grow hostas under Eastern White Pines. I did not encounter surface roots from these pines, so you might be able to dig under them. Digging in any fine debris is acceptable, because it will decompose and add nutrients. Manure is great.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

"I will remove all the old pine straw first."

Work it into the soil easily. It would be a great soil amendment.

tj

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

I would-

Rake the pine needles back.

Dig holes and amend the soil for the hosta with compost, composted manure.......

Plant the hosta and rake the needles back as mulch.

I plant under White Pines all the time and simply chop any roots that may be in the way of where I want to plant. The pines don't mind it and the hosta seem to simply grow under the shallow pine roots...or maybe they can compete well with the fibrous root systems. Roto-tiling or ripping at the roots in large areas will kill the tree. I think trying to fill-in over the root system is not a good idea. Filling in a depth in which you could plant hosta would put the pine's life in danger or surely stifle its growth for years.

Jon

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Hosta Lovers, I have purchased my soil and amendments and I am ready to plant. The only problem is the pine tree in the front may have too much sun. I have decided to put tulips, lilies and crocus there. I will have to get the dirt built up higher in the middle of the two trees to plant more hosta from my seedlings later. I am going to put the hosta in the back yard around these two trees for now. I will start today and send more pictures. The soil that I have purchased is MG Moisture control and regular potting soil to mix. Do I put a little 10-10-10 in it, also? I will use old boards from pallets to make a boarder for now.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Potting soil goes in pots, not the ground. Add compost, manure, peat moss, soil conditioner (called landscapers mix here), maybe even Miracle Grow garden soil, depending on the consistency of your existing soil. The point is to enrich your existing soil or in my case, to lighten it. Potting soil goes in pots.

Don't add fertilize now. It's too late in the season.

bk

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Please correct me if I missed it but I haven't seen why you have to amend the soil in the first place. Is it nutrient deficient, have improper drainage or impossible to work? From the nice green grass I'd say it is none of the above I would put a light layer of compost or the like down, lay some newspaper 3-4 sheets thick to stop the grass and weeds from coming through, mulch over top then plant your hostas.

Have fun with your new addiction

SCG

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It depends on your soil. Mine needs amending because it's heavy clay and alkaline (and grows nice green weeds). Others need to amend theirs because it's sand and won't hold nutrients or moisture. Some have a perfect mix of sandy loam that needs no amendments. Hosta like slightly acid soil that is well drained.

Let us know if you need help. Don't use the potting soil, though. (Actually, I'm not sure it would hurt anything, but it's cheaper to use other things.)

bk

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OH dear, I already mixed the potting soil in. All I did was clear an area that I wanted to use and then I dug holes for the plants and put a mixture of potting soil, manure and about one fourth moisture control. I thought I was amending the soil and making it loamy for my hostas. I only put it in the holes I dug for the hostas. My yard is full of clay dirt under the surface. I got in late today so I will post pictures tomorrow. My cousin took some 2 by fours and made a box for now just to make a mark and later I will find something to make it stand out.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Thanks bkay2000 that is why I asked the question. Too many of us newer gardeners do things because we think we have to, not because we need to. Sometimes, actually making things worse. Most of my more dramatic mistakes occurred this way.

SCG

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope the potting soil works. Now the new phone wont bluetooth the pictures. I am new to gardening and will take all the advice i can get from you guys. Next time I will ask the questions first. My next project is to work on the seeds I have planted and the ones in the paper towel that my garden web friend sent me are germinating. I am still working on the pictures.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

The money has been spent and the deed is done. ("No point in crying over spilt potting soil).The potting soil will not harm your plants but in the future (your low area) use garden soil and amendments as advised. The only thing I would add is that it is important to incorporate your amendments into your entire bed. Your plants roots will hit a clay wall so to speak as they try to extend. We have all made mistakes! Have fun, you are doing great!!!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It's a learning curve. I'm a fairly old woman. I helped my Mom trimming roses and taking care of flower beds, not knowing why I was doing what. I started growing house plants in my first apartment. Then, I discovered African Violets, which do very well in an apartment under grow lights. I tried growing a vegetable garden (not good results) in my first house. I then bought a house with mostly shade, where I learned to hate English Ivy. I've failed at growing grass in shady areas. I've failed at many garden things, because I'm a lazy gardener. Failing at something teaches you something. You go on and apply what you learned. You learn what works and what is beyond what you are willing to do. You know, I grow hosta in pots because they do fairly well for a lazy gardener.

Like I said, it's a learning curve. It's a combination of how much work it takes and how much you are willing to put into it and how much you get out of it.

I could probably grow hosta in the ground here if I was willing to do the work. I'm not. So, I stick to pots.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Started as a bench, added another bench, then birdbath, then paver outline, then hosta inside, then outside, then boxwoods, then Mountain Laurel, then Buddha et al, more hosta....surrounded by 4 huge White Pines and one huge oak @ 2 o'clock.

Simply laid it out, planted everything and waited.

Just me, but I would ditch the lumber, expand and go free form. I'm sorry because I know you have done a lot of work and it will look nice when it fills out....but you did ask for more advice.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Hey, doesn't anyone care that I climbed on my roof to get this shot?

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

Jon, your roof shot is great! I got a real kick out of reading ...."Started as a bench"........ LOL!

Cathy, your hostas are growing and looking good. I like that you came back and showed your progress. Enjoy what you've done and see if you're bit by the gardening bug or if you're happy to stop here. Either way, you've created a nice space.

• Cathy Cokley Shilow z8 SC
    8 years ago

Jon, that is a beautiful setting. I wish I could have a cup of coffee out there in the mornings. Next time a ground picture would be ok because we don't want you to fall trying to show us your beautiful lil garden.

Sandyslopes, thanks. I wish all the sites that I visit would have some type of update.

I will be adding in the future. I have baby Frances Williams in my front yard with little Coleus. I plan to one day own a Empress Wu to show you guys. Just have to get the greenhouse finished.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Cathy, I have to confess, It wasn't exactly from the roof. I took it out of my bedroom window a few feet under the roof....but don't tell anyone, OK?

• glosgarden
    8 years ago

Haha Jon! NOW the truth comes out! So glad you didn't risk your life for that beautiful picture....

Cathy, I started with crossties and landscape timbers a hundred years ago and that suited me for years....when they rotted away I replaced with rocks...that's what I like ...today....Mine is ever changing...and yours may be too or not. Take advice about soil and tree roots and sun exposure and such from those who have experienced and learned and it can save you a lot of work and disappointment but....

Remember this is your garden and what pleases your eye and makes you feel happy is what you should do. There is no right or wrong and no rules...when visitors like it sure it's cool but if they don't that's fine....It's really just for me....My Happy Place... hope yours is that to you too. Just my 2¢.....actually prob closer to 3.

By the way...Yours looks great!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Cathy!!!! I told you not to tell anyone!

• glosgarden
    8 years ago

Hahaha!