Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Here is a challenge for all of you........

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

Put on your thinking caps and show us what is your number one ("one") favorite, awesome or beautiful hosta photo you posted this season.

Mine has to be - Awakening Angel

{{gwi:1052417}}

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 12:39

Comments (58)

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

Pics like these is what got me started on Hosta. Just so beautiful.

My better half caught me talking to my babies after work yesterday. After torrential rains, just had to make sure they were okay.

She will understand if any of mine end up looking like these!

John

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Donna, sorry to hear about your pain. My husband also had knee surgery yesterday and was also awake most the night. Hope you both do better today

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Mac - that Paradise Island is stunning!!!

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Thanks Ruth. That emergent freshness of new hosta's just glows with new life. Here's Libery emerging.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

What a magnificent display. It's hard to measure up to the standards set by all of the above. Among my favorites this year was Paradise Joyce.

Steve

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glorious PJ, Steve. Very similiar to June.

DD

• party_music50
    9 years ago

Checked this thread from 'most recent posts' because of the subject line.... gorgeous photos! great idea!

Here's my fav pic of this year. :)

• User
    9 years ago

Party Music, you show a great photo of some gorgeous well grown hosta. Glad you dropped it into the mix. We are quite fond of pictures here.

You need to drop in more often and show us the rest of your garden. Thanks for the treat.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

What a great thread! I'm excited to see all of the coming pictures. Guacamole is my favorite picture of my 20ish hostas. I have a couple of new ones from this spring that I hoping with overtake it in beauty next year.

9 years ago

Loving all these great pics. The only problem is that my never ending "must have" list is growing. Never seen Paradise Joyce before. It is very much like June, which is always a good thing.

Party Music. What hosta is that? I hope it's something a already have as I promised myself that the hosta order I placed Sunday would be my last of the year. Well, my wife is a teacher and to her the new year starts next week works for me!

Guacamole is a great one, thanks for sharing Santa Miller.

I have to add another pic, right? Roy Klehm it is.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One is a lonely number, right Mac. lol

DD

9 years ago

It's the loneliest number that I ever knew, Donna. Did I just reveal my age? The 70's weren't all that long ago, right? Where's a bullfrog pic when I need it? All those that don't remember or ever heard of Three Dog Night must wondering what the .....ummmmm, heck I'm talking about!

Since I need "one". Guardian Angel

• luuk
    9 years ago

So many beautiful photos here, well done everyone!

Donna, your Awakening Angel is wonderful!

Here my n.1 for this season, is a heart shaped leaf of Clear Fork River Valley.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

A good friend of mine was a Bullfrog...I believe his name was...Jeremiah.

Don B.

My other favorite pic (of several) is Fragrant Blue and Cerveza..

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Fascination x Mirror Mirror seedling

Steve

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luuk - I "heart" that photo.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

I love the heart shaped leaves too, and I suppose I have quite a few as a "theme" of "hearts" in them. Heart's Content, Heart And Soul, Faithful Heart, Cheatin'Heart, Heartache, Hearts On Fire, Heartsong, Happy Hearts, hmmmm, did I miss any? :)
    That doesn't count the ones with the heart shaped leaves.
    Clear Fork River Valley is a great plant, leaf shape and all.

Jeremiah is the name of an obliging young man at Lowes who always loads my car. I remember his name by the bullfrog song. Nice to have a personal familiar relationship with the impersonal large stores we rely on these days, instead of the mom and pop places of years gone by.

9 years ago

Luuk. Can you just send me your entire photo library? You're amazing! Thanks again for sharing your exquisite eye with us.

Great streaked one there Steve. I'm currently in a streaked hosta craze. And a giant hosta craze. And a corrugated hosta stage. And a.....I'm sure I'm in good company and you all understand.

Good, so I'm not the only one that's old enough to remember such songs. The older the violin the sweeter the music. No wonder it's such a symphony here. Btw, boots are provided at the door :)

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mac - You a funny guy. Your enthusiasm for growing all things hosta is contagious on this forum.

Yes, I'm, indeed, old enough to remember that song!

DD

9 years ago

Thanks Donna. My wife's says I'm contagious also......she's been searching for the anti-body for 30 years! Being Irish I have a zest for life and all things green. Hence my passion for gardening. While I enjoy my butterfly gardens, pond, Japanese maples, dwarf conifers and woodland plants, hosta's call to me the most and it's refreshing sharing with others who appreciate their charm as much as I do. In other words it's comforting finding other hosta nuts to share my insanity with!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Tough one for me, it was Pauls Glory or Sea dream. Pauls Glory won today.

Sherry

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Blue Hawaii in the sunlight

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

I need a camera and need to start taking pics. All I have that's recent is Fiesta....

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

"SHEEEEEERRRRRYYYY"!!!!

Your pic is upside-down : )

Feel the Wrath of Don...

Don B.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Well, everyone knows my favorite this year! I've posted it several times now.

June Fever & Peacock Spikemoss

Since most have seen my favorite, I'll post a couple of the runners-up

Spring Shower & Night Shift

Stained Glass

Rainbow's End and a freshly bloomed rain lily

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOVE that Stained Glass pic with the lilies, beautiful, Funn!

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Anemone and Albopicta in spring.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Don, I feel it!!!!!! Took that before i mastered my technology!!! Shame on me!!

Sherry

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Don â¦. I never understood a word he said â¦

dave

• LRB3
    9 years ago

Atlantis front and center, backed by June Fever, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake, and Fragrant Bouquet.

This post was edited by LRB3 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:29

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Please don't yell at me Don.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice pic, Jon : )

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice combo of hostas, LRB3.

Jon - keeping us in suspense for not identifying the hosta that this scape belongs to is why Don is yelling at you! lol

DD

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Thanks Don.

Even a blind squirrel finds and acorn once in a while. ;-)

Jon

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

What great looking hostas and pix. I can't decide but I like this picture of Elegans year 2.

I just got my Guardian Angel yesterday ,can't wait for it to look like that.

Pauls Glory too.

Great Expectations I'm thrilled with.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

What a great thread---and the hosta and plants are to die for!

So Donna you asked for my "favorite hosta photo" that I posted this season. But I can't remember all the ones I posted!!! LOL So here is one of my favorites.

Great Arrival really surprised me this year. I never knew it could look so beautiful.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Newhostalady - I'm really loving Great Arrival. It's not in the Hosta Library so must be relatively new?

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Great Arrival's in there, DD...One of the pics is mine : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 15:18

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mikgag - Fiesta looks like a good one!

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

First, FUNN.... The spikemoss is absolutely stunning with hosta. I'm on a roll here with PDN, I'm sure you know that means Plant Delights so only clarify for those without introduction to their great shrubbery and plants for sale.
    Cannot wait for that order (with only one hosta) coming to me.

And Don, the blue of Fragrant Blue and Cerveza are lovely together. Jo has remarked recently that we seem to have similar plants, and while I paired another chartreuse/gold with FragBlue, I love the colors side by side.

So here is one of my OLD favorite photos, with plantaginea, Fragrant Blue, and Royal Standard back in 2012 March. That is Mama looking all golden and lovely. Royal Standard is definitely green there. And FB is of course blue as I ever saw it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful pic, Mocc. Just gotta love the fragrants. This pic is showing part of the extended family; Fragrant Dream, Sugar and Spice, with little Emily Dickinson, too.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Mercy! Don, that Cerveza is a big dude, what are you feeding it? Yep, gotta love the fragrant family.

9 years ago

Great pics and idea moc and Don. Hosta combos it is. From left to right. Sara's Sensation, Hyuga (something), Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and Wylde Green Cream with Earth Angel in the back.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess since you cannot eat more then one potato chip - it's hard to post just one favorite photo.

Here's Ginsu Knife sticking her tongue out with ADG and Guacamole in the background.

{{gwi:1084170}}

DD

9 years ago

Great Arrival and Ginsu Knife are on my must have list now. How is it that for every new hosta I get my must have list grows by five?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

DD,

I missed your post, we sailed past each other like ships in the night...Oh, the picture, why it is one of my 20 Sagaes !?!?

Today-

Hey, this not such a bad picture either.

Jon

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Autumn Frost catching the spring sunshine

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn Frost - That's a wowser!

DD

• party_music50
    9 years ago

ooooo aaaaahhhh, there are some great photos/hostas posted here.

moccasinlanding, thanks! I had almost forgotten about posting here. Will try to check things out more often. I just can't afford to want any more hostas -- no space. lol!

mac48025, the hostas in the pic are:
    Montana aureomarginata at top center. Francee to the back left, and Undulata Erromena to the back right. I think that's Heavenly Tiara to the front left of MA, and Dark Star in the foreground. This is the first year that the deer didn't eat Dark Star! :) There's a gorgeous Plantagenia behind MA that you can't see in this pic. :p

luuk, I LOVE the single heart-shaped leaf photo!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

It was so hard to choose one hosta, let alone one picture!! But here it is. I went with a group shot. Great Expectations surrounded by several blue hostas, ferns, and hydrangea.