Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Another twilight stroll

User
9 years ago

You know how it is late in the summer. As twilight approaches, I must be out in the garden feeling the air soft around me. It was not really early twilight, but nigh on to being dark as I walked and noticed and touched.

Oh my, there is Piedmont Gold picking up the twilight colors like a green velvet nap on the gold leaf. I'm glad I decided to replace the scrawny first one I got, glad I listened to those in the know, give it another chance. And this time, I got a winner.

Dark Shadows has some bad edges on it, the whole thing is dark on dark, really fine at this time of day, because the two darks stand distinct not lost as some have been for me. I say, it has a flush of new growth. Nice.

I see Hot Green Chilies, must pick it up and set it on the marble top table, so the pollinators can find that beautiful branched scape about to open. My first time to recognize what a "branched scape" is all about. And also I know some I thought were fasciated were merely showing bracts along the scapes. One step further to putting 2 and 2 together with hosta. An AHA! moment.

And over here, that gold next to Guacamole, fragrant, but I lost the tag, how could I do that! Talk about a BRANCHED SCAPE, my word, this one has it. A veritable white Christmas tree with branches all around the stems. I would think that a trait worth breeding to get. So....I must find out what this one is, I must learn about it.

Luna Moth, still perfect, the colors intense but changing to darker. As the sun moves, this spot in the shade line of the sasanqua is darker. But LOOK at Paul's Glory, in this spot two feet from Luna Moth, and every leaf is perfect. And in the next pot, so is American Sweetheart and Autumn Frost and Moon Shadow and Yellow Splash Rim...yeah, that pot au quatre is looking so good I don't want to mess with it now. Those lighter tones on the leaves glow in this light. Ah, I love Autumn Frost, since it wowed me this spring. Oh and look back here, I thought she would fade away after looking good this spring, but LAKESIDE BLACK SATIN, symmetrical beauty that she is, pointy jet green leaves like a ventricosa, she is looking really FINE. The 2nd one which is a year older, so pathetic I had to buy another one to see if I was doing something wrong....but no, I wasn't, and #2 still is a 4 leaf one eye insignificant wallflower hiding beneath the potted agnus castus. I hate to say that, because it seems it never had a chance. If I turn against it, who will give it the love it needs to grow big and pretty like its sister? Yet at some point, you have to simply bless it and let it go. Poor baby.

I see Squash Casserole is maintaining....my heaven what stamina, that is amazing. One small brown spot on one leaf. How good can this plant get! And I see as I gaze around that her sports are fine too....new little Wave Runner, well, not so little any more, it likes this western sun, it only came in mid June....EMERGENCY ORDER.....and I was right I did need that to make me perfectly happy. Yesterdays Memories? I see it is right up there with SCasserole. Key Lime Pie is obviously enjoying a second flush.

Oh this section attached to the Roundabout bed, every one of these are doing fine....Maybe I just cannot SEE too well tonight and they are full of slug bites, but I don't think so. Slugs did their damage early in the season. A baby bird population explosion this year seems to be taking care of those swine.

Although we cut down the banana trees to move an etagere in that spot, they persist in coming back from pieces of root missed in my hurry to get the spot put together. But I admire the desire to live. Now look here, the clematis and the jasmine and the passion vines of the big pot and the arbor, the arbor with Our Lady of Grace raised on her pedestal, those vines are turning her arbor into a green lacy grotto. I mean, how appropriate will that look? I could not have done it myself, thought of it, no way, but Our Lady wanted it and she must be a gardener too. The nuns orchids at her feet are lush with new leaves. Found them a good home I guess. And yes, I must alter this out of control tropical looking mess of a bed, the East bed behind the Teahouse, against that white stucco wall....Perfect spot for some big big containers of big hosta amongst the aspidistra and the giant liriope muscari. Those elephant ears look too out of control, they are becoming invasive.

I don't see any signs of the heat dormant ones resuscitating any time soon...let them rest in peace for now. Enjoy this moment. The shade screen looks so right silhouetted against the darkening sky. No sunset light remains, simply a lavender sky. I hope the street light one house down is still off tonight. It is so rude when it casts hard shadows against the otherwise lavender-white twilight walls of my Teahouse.

I must trim the jasmine now that it is past blooming. The latex white sap will drip all over me, but now is the time to do it. I like it as a living wall, a 100 foot green fence seven feet high--and reaching..

I invite the mystery branch-scaped fragrant hosta to sit beside me on the white bench and meditate upon the possible progeny and who the lucky pollen parent ought to be. As good as match making anyday.

Comments (9)