Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Hosta Order Came Today...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

...Always a fun, enjoyable time when new plants are delivered. : )

(L to R) Blue Angel, Dress Blues, Woolly Mammoth, Deluxe Edition, Jimmy Crack Corn, Striptease and Emily Dickinson (Which was coming apart into 3 pieces so I separated them fully).

It's almost September, and most of them look a little tired. To be expected from most places this late in the season. I'm buying them to enjoy next spring/summer/fall. The root systems are quite thick and gorgeous, and that's what I like to see from bareroot orders this time of year.

Tip 'o the hat to HostaFreak Phil, for posting pics of and recommending 'Dress Blues'. I love it already, Phil; Can't wait to see it next spring, it's beautiful.

Have a great weekend, all!
Don B.

Comments (8)

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Enjoy them all. Nice Haul!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lookin' good!! I grow 'Jimmy Crack Corn'. It's a gorgeous hosta. Decent growth rate as well.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Yep,you will enjoy it,Don! Mine gets bigger and better each year,but right now it has changed to 'Dress Greens'. Phil

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Your new hosta are looking great! Thick roots you say? I bet those hosta will come up healthy and strong next spring. Something to look forward to, for sure.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Great line up Don - Man, how many plants did you purchase this year? - or is that a secret......HA!
    DD

• User
    10 years ago

My little Emily Dickinson and her friends are doing fine this year, I keep her with her brother Austin Dickinson, and her editor (and his Mistress) Mistress Mabel. All being fragrant, they make a nice friendly group.

Emily is the star of that show. BTW, I planted my 3 eyes of Victory separately in 2011 when I got them, cause I did not have many. But last fall, I combined them into one large pot, and have not regretted it. If you keep them in pots, of course, it is less to move around. In the ground, you can spot little Emily in three different locations and she will look beautiful in each spot.

Glad to see you got your Blue Angel. No garden should be without one.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, about 80 plants acquired this year, Donna. A good start, I think. ; )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Mocc. I need 'Mistress Mabel' for the trifecta. 'Austin Dickinson' is more robust and showy than I thought it would be; stout petioles and leaves of above average substance, with bold white margins streaking to the leaf center here and there.

Yup, 'Blue Angel' finally acquired. Certainly a must-have for the hosta garden. 'Striptease', also a must-have, in my opinion. LOL With hosta, do you realize there are, I think, hundreds of different varieties that are 'must-have' plants? Of course you do, that's why many of us have hundreds of varieties! Love this hosta stuff. Even since last season, I've seen quite a few varieties that were babies in my garden make a nice leap and start showing some size and mature looks. It's extremely satisfying and enjoyable. I remember my first, 'Fortunei Aureomarginata', when it was just a tiny thing, and four years later, it's really looking like a mature plant. Just from that single one, I have an idea of what to look forward to in the next few seasons; Except now I have MANY plants I can watch as they mature. With care, patience and a bit of luck, in the future I can have my own mini-botanical gardens, literally in the backyard!

Regards,
    Don B.