Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpeterson_gw

Trying to develop height in my garden

vpeterson
10 years ago

I have been tearing up the lawn and creating new hosta gardens in the front yard. Here is one I created last summer. It is in its second year but it still seems very flat.

Here is the new one I am working on this summer. It has a second layer of raised beds

What are some other ways to create height or levels in your garden?

Comments (22)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Solomon's seal? Pretty, tall, good to z3 and likes dry shade fine. It would look nice tucked in near the trees and it would dangle over the hosta.

I took a picture today of some ligularia, another tall shade lover. But I don't know if it would like it under trees, I think it does well with moist shade or boggy conditions.

Black snakeroot might be a possibility? Grows z4.

Or...a tall vase shaped hosta??

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You could buy a 'Key West', water and wait about 5 to 7 years...I just got one....I'll post a pic in 5 to 7 years. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks like you're doing some nice work on the beds, BTW...

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Just remember you don't have to fill the whole thing with soil. It's okay to use some filler -- crushed cans and bottles and the like ... jimmy hoffa . . the old chevy ...

I have a jap red maple in my garden for color and height

dave

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

A container on top of a couple of bricks, or a pedestal, works also. -Beverly

From last summer:

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

I've always enjoyed gardens with berms. It gives height and also separates areas.

Paul

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

Just remember compost settles, so if you're attempting to fill the boxes or berm the garden you need soil, not compost for the bulk of the mix. We've built some lasagna style gardens (varied layers of compost ingredients with manures at bottom) & mounded them 18" higher, but now they've settled, so just a few inches higher than the path. The plants love all that rich soil. Topping with mulch 2x a year helps reduce the need for watering during our summer drought. This spring I didn't add the mulch and I've had to water weekly when usually twice a month would suffice.

• janann
    10 years ago

I add height with other things besides plants, birdbaths, bottle trees, old furniture etc. :)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of Solomons Seal (Polygonatum commutatum) mentioned by robotropolis.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

...and another - Ligularia Desdemona. This one is taller than it looks in photo and takes up a lot of space whereas Polygonatum doesn't.

• User
    10 years ago

Well, it doesn't all have to be plants.

How about a nice statue? A birdbath?

A couple of hanging baskets in the tree limbs?
    A windchime?

Get yourself a plinth, or a pedestal. Feature a potted hosta on that, or a big draping sort of large fern.

Judging by the trees you have no problem having your shade, so not required to create shade with additional trees. Think about some tall Asiatic lilies or gladiolus which can be companions until the hosta grow tall and full.

Look at the threat begun by Idiothe about his raised beds. Some of them are 3 layers tall at least. Now that is getting up there!

You'll think of the perfect solution for your particular space. I really like what you are doing.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Looks like you have enough light for some of the clematis vines. Maybe add one of those pyramid trellis thingees (obelisks with some clems growing up it). Even a tall old wooden ladder would work.

Or a pile of rocks/ boulders with planting 'pockets'. I like to nestle containers of annuals like impatiens into rock piles...usually leftovers from a project where I was too pooped to move them after finishing up a bed! Bonus is that you always have some rocks in a handy spot when you need one or two for something else.

Metal sculptures, old rusty farm/ gardening implements....even bottom-rusted-out washtubs or cut-down barrels can be nestled in for elevating hostas or other plantings.

The key is to not be afraid to try things. It doesn't have to last forever (old ladders) and a lot of the fun is being able to change things easily from year to year or every few years.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I would move the urns into the middle. Right now all you height is on the corners allowing it to dissipate from view. Put them in more of the middle of the beds to draw the eye upward.

• vpeterson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc it was from looking at Jim' grardens that I got the idea of having a middle raised bed! Ha Ha
    Ilovetogrow- I will take your suggestion and move my containers to the middle and see how it looks . Thanks

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I'm trying to develop height in my garden too! I agree with Ilovetogrow about moving the pots into the middle between the two trees. I think you will like it---can we have another picture after you do it?

I think the suggestions given here by others is really good. I would also recommend you search google images with the words "garden junk" or "garden art." You will see a lot of super ideas. Gardenweb has a forum called Garden Junk. Great thread. It's what started me on making garden plate flowers. I am in the process of making them. I wanted something unique and it will add height to the garden too.

• janann
    10 years ago

And we also have things hanging down from our trees....bottle art, rain chains, metal watering cans, and more. J

• vpeterson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc it was from looking at Jim' grardens that I got the idea of having a middle raised bed! Ha Ha
    Ilovetogrow- I will take your suggestion and move my containers to the middle and see how it looks . Thanks

• vpeterson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I moved the containers toward the center and took another couple of pictures from each direction.

My husband did not like the change. He thinks that they should be on the ends so you have a clear view of all the hostas from the porch. I think that I need to look at it for a while.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Most importantly you should design your garden and plants the way that pleases you and your husband. Keep trying until you find what makes you happy. Good luck!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

The statement "...have a clear view of all the hostas..." - makes me think of a couple more ideas. I have a bird bath mounted on an old pipe. The pipe is mostly obscured by heuchera; yours would be obscured by hosta. Near that I have bird feeders. We also have bird houses. You could put a shepherds hook in, or hang the feeder from a tree branch. I also have a hanging basket hanging from a tree branch above a hosta garden. I too do not want to obscure the view of the plants. I also have planted martagon lilies in a hosta bed for height. However, these will eventually obscure the hosta so now I may move them.
    -Beverly (pictures later, battery dead)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

VP , I am sure once your plants get larger the height will show in the plants themselves. If you feel there is not as much height as you want you can always build up the plant , surround it with rocks, add soil and replant. Myrle lifted many of hers this way , including her beautiful Niagara Falls. I have one bed behind my house I will probably have to do this but have been waiting to see if Empress Wu will give it what I want for height. You will find your own magic way and it is always come to you when you envision the big picture.So far it is coming along just fine and looks very nice
    Faye

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Raise the urn up some. I use cinder block and orange bricks. It will help keep other things from growing in your pot and will give you extra height. I raised some of mine this way in the garden and it gave me height and sets them off from the other plants. Maybe then your husbands eye will not stop there but be able to go beyond. When you have great pots like you do raise them up and show them. Lots of height. Good luck keep us posted.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH