Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Striptease hosta sun tolerance.....

I added a Striptease hosta to my small collection this year. I moved it today because i noticed a leaf had sun damage. It got some morning sun in its old spot, less sun in the new spot. Just wondering where you have yours planted and your experience. I am in zone 5 quite a bit west of Chicago.

Sherry

Comments (9)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Got a pic? In a pot or in the ground? What time morning sun...very early or closer to noon?

-Babka

• mstrecke
    9 years ago

Hmm. I agree a pic might help to verify the diagnosis.

Mine has no issues in full sun all day here in Seattle.

Margaret

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you moved it for one bad leaf in august ...

crikey.. i would have to move about 1200 of them on that idea ...

there isnt much white in it.. i dont know why sun would make all that much of a difference ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

I am in a much higher zone with high humidity. I have nine of the Striptease family. They get morning sun here, and they are all doing beautifully.

A picture would be nice. I'd expect a sunburn to be on a leaf at the top of the plant. If it is one that is down low, coming from the bottom growth, it is simply tired and worn out. As they get a new flush of growth at the top, some of my older leaves, which may have endured some cold damage in the spring, give up and turn yellow and then brown.

Have you had a few coolish nights recently? Perhaps that can explain a yellowing leaf. The plant is responding with some go-to-bed-for-the-winter anticipation. Fall colors on hosta can also be beautiful, so be prepared to look for that.

Here is my most recent photo of the "family"....
    Striptease itself is top row left, then Gypsy Rose, Kiwi Full Monty. Next row Snake Eyes, Juha, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, Hanky Panky. Front is Cabaret, Erotica.

All holding up very well I think.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On closer inspection this morning i see what looks like sun damage on other leaves. Just the one caught my eye yesterday, duh. I just started planting this area late last summer so finding the right spot while the plants are small is the time to do it to me. The leaf in the middle of the first picture was dead on with the sun exposure. Adding another pic .

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic #2, hope this posts correctly, dont need the "wrath of Ken". HaHa

Sherry

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL "KEEEEEEEENNNNN"!!!!!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOVE IT, Don!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is almost as much fun as the turgidity discussion.

Sherry