Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

If you were out of lettuce ...

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

and just HAD to HAVE a BLT ...

Which hosta leaf would you use as a surrogate for the lettuce?

Remember, some cultures eat these things ... young eyes, lightly braised in butter ... mmmm

*put that in your colorado random pipe and smoke it!*

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

Comments (14)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

OMG, Dave, you are brilliant! LOL

I'm providing more than one leaf so we can make salad....lol
    Here's Cabbage Patch!!!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Can I make chicken wraps with 'Sum And Substance' leaves?

Great, now I'm hungry again. D@mmit, Dave!

Don B.

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I still think someone posted a link to an article stating that "Montana leaves were best" :)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

...gasp...you mean...chicken Caesar wraps, Don?!? I'm comin' over and could I have mine toasted on your grill please! Yummy! sheesh, how am I ever gonna get any sleep now? I'm hungry, no kidding!

Dave, you baaaad! Lol. (Just waiting for Mocc ...and her squash casserole...or what will she come up with, hmm?)

like I said Dave, brilliant! Still bad to conjure up food late at night, but a good baaaad. Lol
    FUN

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

Definitely Spinach Patch.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

My vote is for 'Spinach Patch' also!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

How about hosta 'Lettuce Salad' - the leaves are perfect for a BLT.

DD

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

So jealous of your Lettuce Salad. The rabbits certainly gave mine a big thumbs up. Ate it right to the ground.

Now Spinach Patch is on my want list.....

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Put that in your pipe and smoke it?
    I had no idea. Think of all the fun we've been missing.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Sorry, I am not going to eat any of my children. I may kick them out of the house at some point in time, but won't be resorting to eating (um, or smoking) any of them, any time soon.

• User
    10 years ago

Nina, I'm chuckling out loud here! Even got good ole Chris involved.

I have one which will fit nicely on a hoagie and the bacon can be straight as well. Roma tomatos won't hang off the sides.
    Here is my lettuce candidate.....

Bibb Lettuce by Stuart Asch. Sooooo fresh, yellow to begin, later it turns bright green. (March 2013)

and then June

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd volunteer great expectations, but it's never been big enough, even for a wrap. Perhaps it would work in one of those dainty $50 postage stamp size appetizer things at wolfie's or Emmies ... or longjohns...

NO I don't smoke hosta

*intrigued by the idea, however*

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

Oh yeah. . without a doubt 'Spinach Patch' . . . I get hungry just looking at it. . .Yummy succulent little thing. . . . braaaaaahaaaahaaaaaa. . . I'd spit the frogs out though. . .lol

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The leaves of 'Rhino Hide' are so thick, I bet you could scoop guacamole out of a bowl with 'em. Or salsa.

Yum,
    Don B.