Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalowmonkeys

First Hallson Gardens order, very happy!

BungalowMonkeys
9 years ago

Recieved my first Hallsons order and have to say they are awesome! Can see why they are so highly recommended on this forum. Forgot to take a pic when all the plants were getting their roots wet, but my order was

Krossa Regal
Regal Splendor
Yankee Blue
Jimmy Crack Corn
Mayflower Moon
Lakeside cha cha
Blue Mouse Ears
The King
Fried Bananas
An unexpected gift of a very nice sized Key Lime Pie.

Very happy with their customer service, quality of hostas and fast shipping. Already planning my next order.

Would love to see some pics if you are growing any of these. Especially The King. Can't seem to find much on this hosta.

Comments (19)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very nice order. This is the Fried Bananas I got from Hallson Gardens back in 2012. Pic taken this season. It's been very vigorous.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 12:31

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Nice assortment. I like Hallson's too.

Here is one of my RS. Give it lots of room, it will become giant!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal, another giant. Of course, parent of Rs.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Key Lime Pie is a charmer. Rippled gold edges. Fast grower. I think you'll like it.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

My experience with Hallson Gardens this spring was outstanding. Chris spent time with me answering some newbie questions and recommending what would most likely do well in our warm climate area. I'll be ordering again from him next spring.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

And here is BME. What a cutie.

That's all I have from your list. Enjoy your new ones.

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don - the pic wouldnt load. Not sure if its my end or the forums end. Any chance I could trouble you to repost it?

Hosta - yours look great! Have a feeling I didn't plan enough room for regal and krossa. The BME is a cutie. It was the hosta my 8yro wanted so bad. Had to surprise her with it. She loves all those mouse ones. Love the coloring on the key lime pie. Hoping the spot it is in will help it maintain those pretty colors yours is showing.

Santamiller what did you end up going with for the warmer climate?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I have three from your list...including KR and BME. Here is my one year old Jimmy Crack Corn. I was drawn to the big leaves and it's clean look when I got it... not realizing actually how beautiful it would turn out to be! Wonder how gorgeous it will be at maturity!

Nice choices, Bungalow! ... and nice view out the window too :-)
    Happy planting!

Jo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

This from last Wednesday...

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Got this Fried Bananas from Hallson's last fall. It's a trouble free," I'm a happy hosta" type.

Kathy

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Bungalowâ¦.I bought 7 or 8 from Hallson's. All are from the Fragrant family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallson fragrant list

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Sorry Bungalowmonkeys...I think it's up there now.

Don B.

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

When I first heard of Hosta Virus X and was googling to find information, by far the best explanation I read was by Chris. Since then, I will buy hostas only from Hallson's. It's just not worth the risk to me to find out someone sold me a diseased hosta. And, as santamiller said, Chris is wonderful about answering questions. And the plants he sends are big, healthy and beautiful. Wonderful company, Hallson's. Wish I could visit the nursery in person.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Some very good choices! And isn't it nice to get a bonus plant? A couple of times they sent me plants that I'd crossed off my list when I had to narrow it down. It was like they were super intuitive. In another order they included Wolverine as my bonus. I never thought of getting that one, but now I really like it. That's nice you got Key Lime Pie.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

I have Key Lime on my list for the spring. A beautiful plant!

• BungalowMonkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don and kathy your fried bananas looks great! Think that will be a favorite when it matures.

Josephine - love the coloring your jimmy crack corn has. Picked it for the same reasons, big leaves, crinkle edges and otherwise clean simple look. Using it as a large back drop to some busier looking hostas.

Love the fragrant hostas. Had no idea so many were. Someone needs to come up with a light scented hosta perfume. Didn't realize blue flame was fragrant. Have 2 and never noticed a smell from the flowers. Will have to check that next year.

It is sweet to get a gift hosta. Certainly a good marketing strategy. I'll be ordering from them again, mainly for the service and quality, but the possible surprise that could be included is a deal closer.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Blue Flame, I'm guessing, has a hit-or-miss scent to it's flowers. I say that because it's parent, Fragrant Blue, has some plants that have detectable scent on the flowers, others, not detecable. I have a Fragrant Blue and have never detected scent from it's blossoms, but it's such a beautiful plant, in my opinion, it's a winner for sure. Blue Flame looks quite beautiful, too.

Just My.02

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I have noticed the scent on Fragrant Blue to be most detectable early in the morning, 5:30 a.m. before the bees are up. Not so much during the day.

Steve

• User
    9 years ago

Key Lime Pie is one of the sports of Squash Casserole, and all of that family are outstanding performers in the southern regions--when given enough water. They can take the sun and the humidity, Santa, as I discovered for SURE this year. I have all the sports (with the exception of ONE, which I cannot find). They all grow quickly, and are durable performers.

Bunga, you made some great choices.

Santa, what I do is place an order late in the fall for the discount, for spring delivery. When you REALLY REALLY want something, that is the best way to avoid disappointment if they are sold out.