Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Choose 2 to compare garden history

User
9 years ago

From the hosta in my garden, I found a picture from 2012 August of two hosta which were my favorites then as they are now. I kept them together in those days but cannot remember why. One came from Mason Hollow and the other from Hallsons as a gift. I liked them both.

Smooth Sailing with the golden green leaf and a narrow eye liner margin of darker green. Painted on as they say. And the large leafed solid gold Rosedale Golden Goose. I could not imagine a nursery giving away such a beautiful plant. Of course that was when I was very new to the world of hosta.

And they split up because after a virus scare, I decided to keep plants according to source ordered. But, then I learned a bit more, and last fall in 2013 I rearranged with the focus on fragrant hosta together, golds in the sunshine more, and blues in cooler shade (if I could find it).

But tonight I ran across this picture again on Flickr. My hard drive failure meant my only photos of 2012 and before was through my Flickr account. How beautiful my plants were when they arrived fresh from the north! How unsuspecting they were of the new life they would lead.

These two stood out, and I liked them. I thought they looked great in 2012 August. That was my first southern summer with hosta. I did not have a clue what to expect.

And then lets see them more recently.

Aug 2013

May 29, 2014 in LOTS of sunlight

Then Rosedale Golden Goose, the gift of gold.
Soon after it arrived spring 2012

A beauty May 24

May 2013 front and left, but note the yellow pot had built in saucer which kept it too moist? I did not know then what I know now. But, being strong, it survived.

By October 2013 it was not the star of the show and barely made it into the picture, it seems to be shrinking in size. Poor baby.

In the meanwhile I learned about improper drainage causing crown rot and when spring began, I was geared up to repot and replace all mix for every hosta in a pot like that. So here it Rosedale Golden Goose in 2014.

In April it was one of my premier golds again. Lots of flower power in this picture!

Anyway, these two are standouts as far as I'm concerned, and give cause for rejoicing when I see them growing. What two or one or three have caught your attention as a pair, maybe moved to other locations apart, but you still think of them as a good pair.

Comments (3)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is another one which changed a lot. It is Stiff Upper Lip, direct from Stuart Asch at HostaLibrary Auctions in 2012. It has very heavy substance. I'm glad to have this picture to remind me how very gold it was when it arrived. I was under the impression that it needed more shade. Doesn't look to be so from the way Stuart Asch grew it, does it?

As you can tell, I put it in SHADE, and it turned really dark, with white backs shining.

In May 2013

In May 2014. I really LIKE this hosta

And on July 4 2014, closest one to the camera. It has a nice blue color even in our summertime, don't you think? Note it is repotted.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Mocc, while I ponder your invitation and decide which to post about...I just wanted to comment on the luscious golds in your flower power pic. I kept admiring them! They are as bright as the sun! Splendid display! Little wonder you love them! Ahem....I've accumulated a few golds this year...it's catching, this gold fever..:-)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh definitely gold fever is catching. My understanding of sun exposure is more advensuresome than it was when I first brought hosta to my garden. I do not know it all, but I sure know a bit more now than I did then. I winced with ever burnt leaf in the beginning, whereas now I can accept it and keep them in the sun. It seems to be a matter of acclimation. The first leaves burn, then the second flush comes on beneath them and they are hardier, more durable. Not only fragrants have a second flush, but just about everything does. I have not determined if a big second flush slows down emerging flower scapes or not.

However, with this thread I hoped folks could show how they learned to deal with a special or favorite hosta which needed tweaking to get happy, or how the gardener learned what the hosta wanted through trial and error.

I expect that would be the case with Great Expectations--which I'm not about to grow here in my zone. I cannot grow Dream Queen, gave up on it for the time being.

Like Lucy in Peanuts, don't give me ups and downs, "all I want is UPS and UPS."