Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inlimbo_gw

Rooting hormone on hostas attacked by voles?

inlimbo
15 years ago

Here were my plantagineas I planned to divide and move around my new garden after they finished blooming....

Notice the left plant - a little dull and wilted... here's what was left when I gently tugged a leaf...

So, out came the shovel and I dug up all of 'em to keep them away from those horrid creatures.... several more had been attacked, but they had more roots than the sad case above. Everybody's in a plastic tub with lots of water until I can get them in the ground.

So, I'll re-plant. My question for you is, would applying rooting hormone like Root Tone help those most badly damaged to develop more roots?

Or, is it just plop them in the ground - high and with lots of water (and crossed fingers), as you've taught us?

Thanks, and death to voles....

Comments (9)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I can't think rooting hormone would help, they already have roots....but also don't think it would hurt.
    I read something years ago about using "willow water" to stimulate root growth. Seems willows naturally have a lot of the hormone that promotes root growth, and the idea was to pick willow branches, put them into a pail of water and after a week or so use that to water things you are wanting to root.
    didn't say what to do with the rooted willow twigs..:-Q
    Linda C

• inlimbo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Linda - maybe I can add some willow branches to the water they are currently in, too.

This is the part of my yard I first planted, and one I've ignored badly - so to keep weeds in check, I piled on 4-5 inches of mulch a couple of years ago. I am convinced it encouraged the voles - when I pulled away the hardened top crust of mulch last year, their tunnels were RIGHT there under the mulch and above the ground.

Lazy, lousy critters - made it too easy for them....

grrrrr

• caliloo
    15 years ago

As Linda said, I can't imagine that rooting hormone would hurt, but I think you might be better off potting them up and using a mild organic fertilizer along with lots of water. I like fish emulsion since it is unlikely to burn, but I have heard compelling arguments for Osmocote and some of the other fertilizers. If memory serves, I think you want P to be slightly higher for root growth in the N-P-K ratio.

Good luck and I think with just a little TLC they will bounce back for you.

Alexa

PS - For fish emulsion fertilizer, I like Neptune's Harvest, but there are several brands on the market.

• woodthrush
    15 years ago

The hostas I caught in time are re-rooting now. I just put them in a pot and kept them moist. Darn voles! And yes, I too am convinced the mulch is just a haven for them.
    Pam

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

if it matters... that is NOT plantiginea ....

not granny apple green ...

and.. though no scale.. those arent 6 inch flowers ...

ken

• aahostas
    15 years ago

You have plenty of roots there to keep them alive.I have saved crowns that were chewed into little cubes and they quickly repaired themselves.I think you will be ok without any hormones if you just follow Pam's advice.

Denny

• inlimbo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everybody - got the largest one with most roots back in soil today. It was a 12-hole day working in my newest garden! I WAS only going to do a few, but....

Ken --- what might these guys be if not plantiginea? Bloom in August, the flower is 4" long measuring from scape, 8 veins (if I counted right - I counted eight on either side of the mid ridge on the leaf - fragrant, it gets some sun, but not a lot. Myhostas.net calls out "The "Old August Lily" with light green leaves and 4" long white, trumpet shaped fragrant flowers in late summer." Leaf is 8-9 inches long.

But, Hosta Lib pics do show rounder leaves.

Oh, well, I love the flowers at this time of summer, even though I know there are larger.... and I do get attached to old plants in my garden. These followed me from NJ to CT 12 years ago.

• Patty zone 5
    15 years ago

What about Royal Standard?

• inlimbo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Patty - looked at Hosta Lib and maybe that's who I have...

Guess I'm going to have to get all those plant tags I've saved for years organized... maybe I even have that one...