Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will hosta and iris good to be planted close to each other

Posted by amberdim 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 22:57

I just planted 50 or so irises with some hosta in between... good ...bad ...? Are they good together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will hosta and iris good to be planted close to each other

Once your iris get big they will hog the room but I have some in with the hosta and they look great. I just keep the plants in a size of maybe a 5 gal bucket area and thin them out if they get too large, Get some really nice color when they flower and then the leaves give dimension with the upright spikes . Could only find one picture from July after they finished blooming

o

No, they are NOT ideal companion plants. Tall bearded iris should be planted in full sun and well-drained soil, and should not be mulched. They require special care such as treatment to prevent iris bores and sprayed with fungicide to prevent iris leaf-spot disease. In addition, bearded iris need divided every three or four years to eliminate over-crowding and produce good bloom.

Hostas, on the other hand, do well in dappled shade or indirect sunlight. They appreciate frequent watering and mulch. Hostas should be treated for slug prevention, which is not a problem for irises.

One final note...and this is my personal opinion... I don't think the foliage of irises inter-planted with hostas makes a visually pleasant landscape. The companion plants I prefer in my hosta glade are ferns, lilies, and a variety of woodland plants.

o

what don said.. in toto.. including his personal opinion ...

ken

o

Thank you all . Live and learn... I guess I only can hope they will survive together .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here