...Because I still have room for more! I ordered

BLUE ANGEL (finally)
STRIPTEASE
EMILY DICKINSON
DRESS BLUES
WOOLLY MAMMOTH
JIMMY CRACK CORN and
DELUXE EDITION

There goes my lunch money...oh, well...I'll take sandwiches and macaroni salad on the road with me.

Pics when arrived and potted...THANKS, MY DEAR ENABLERS!!!

Regards,
Don B.

Comments (23)

• User
    10 years ago

You are quite welcome, oh worthy enablee.
    I note you have Candy Dish on your wish list, unless it is already winging its way to Denver.

I'm putting my latest picture up for you, because it also has some fungi in the shot. There is a pine stump immediately beneath Victory (next to Candy Dish). Glad you got it.

And now that you have some wiggle room on your WISH LIST, may I show you a couple that may be worthy of your attention next spring? The first bunch are fragrant

Sugar And Cream....it has HUGE SEEDPODS.

and it reminds me of Fragrant Fire with leaf shape but not texture

Oops, must wait for them to upload to Flickr. Continue later.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sugar and Cream'...Check! (Bkay sent me one way back in late winter).

'Fragrant Fire'...Check! And I'm greatly enjoying them both, Mocc! I wanted to ask you about 'Moonlight Sonata'. If I remember correctly, you own this one? How do you like it, a good addition to the garden?

Unfortunately, 'Candy Dish' is still on the Wish-List; If it doesn't get ordered this season, it'll be on an early-spring order next season, I think. : )

Thanks,
    Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

LOL..Don, I see your 'brakes' don't work either, huh? Lol

From your list I have a JCC, Striptease which is looking so fine and CD...gorgeous shiny ripply beauty!

Nice new list! Deluxe Edition made me curious so I went surfing...came up with May/13 post by Almosthooked re pond but it popped up because she had a DE. Her pond-now-hosta-garden is lovely...

also Lovely.is DE..another little Christmas coming to your house...goody, more pics, more hosta to fawn over! :-). :-). Could we be any happier?

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

I also placed a small order that should be here this week:

NEW
    Goodness Gracious

REPEATS - cause I like em
    Whirlwind
    Captain Kirk
    Rainforest Sunrise
    I only need to use Tex-R fabric (tree roots) for two hostas. It's a good thing since I only have Tex-R fabric left out of a 100' X4' roll for a few more hostas.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Don, I have the first 3 growing for 3-4 years and they are very good growers, though different sizes. 'Blue Angel' has huge leaves now, is as big as 'Empress Wu', leaves could be interpreted as angel wings. Bernd

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Don, I'll be doing the pacing-by-the-window routine today in anticipation of an order as well. :) Good times!

Wooly Mammoth is in my order...I added it entirely on a whim, so I'd love to know what put it on your list? Also coming are:

Sky Dancer
    Satisfaction
    Potomac Pride (was that you soliciting all the photos that put that one in the order??)
    First Frost
    Summer Lovin
    Katie Q
    Halcyon (finally :)
    Fat Cat
    City Lights
    Tokudama Flav.
    El Niño

Several of them were added on just because they were on sale at Hallsons, so they hitched a ride with those actually on the wish list. Doesn't it always work out that way? :)

• Eleven
    10 years ago

My small (and hopefully last) order for the season just arrived yesterday:

Devon Green - really liking shiny this year
    Sky Dancer - wanted another blue
    Wylde Green Cream - been on my list for a while

10 years ago

Jamie and Eleven...may we expect pics of your new arrivals please?
    Great lists..I'll look some of them up...but I'm telling myself I am done...got the brakes fixed.lol

• User
    10 years ago

Don, about Moonlight Sonata, it was the one which brought the assassin bug nymphs to live on its flowers. It was very fragrant. It does not look all that exotic, just a "greenie" but it has the right stuff apparently.

I'm pleased you have the Sugar And Cream. Great hosta.
    I also discovered that of my 4 Royal Standards, only two have set seed pods so far--the two I got from Hornbaker are setting pods--the one from Seawright (Carlisle MA) did not, and neither did the RS from Green Mt.....Seawright dates from 2011, the other three date from 2012, so it is not a difference in age, could it perhaps be the stock they came from? A good batch of TC perhaps? Or is RS in TC?

I won't over burden your thread with this info but will create a different thread about which fragrant hosta seem to be setting nice seedpods.

However, if you do not have Celtic Uplands, it set a lot of pods, and it is surely growing quickly this year. Even have pods on Avocado and Cathedral Windows! And Victory too, but of course it is not fragrant--might make a good companion for fragrant pollen though, perhaps??

As you can tell, I am contemplating whether a fertile pod has any connection to the level of fragrance found in a hosta....or if some of the Mama plantagineas have greater scent/fragrance than others, and thus attract a lot more pollinators?

Never thought I'd spend the day sitting in a lawn chair beneath camellia bushes watching bees and such visit flowers. Did I tell you that when I went out the other night to the Moonwalk, there was some night flyer kept bumping me? I had to leave the area so it would get on with its pollinating chores. It was a pretty big thing too, don't know if it was a bat, never heard that bats pollinate flowers, quite interesting to contemplate what it was. I now have a book ordered called THE EVENING GARDEN: FLOWERS AND FRAGRANCE FROM DUSK TIL DAWN. Maybe it will name the evening pollinators? We'll see.

Keep on with your fragrant addiction, Don. Your enthusiasm is encouraging the rest of us.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jadie, I've been eyeing 'Woolly Mammoth' for a while, I love that it's big, and from all the pics I've seen of it, in my opinion, it's just an all-around nice-looking hosta.

Mocc (and everyone else, too)...It's OK, I don't mind, whatever you all want to post on any threads I happen to have created, go for it. after all, it's referring to hostas, and I'm finding I'm incapable of receiving too much information about hostas! So please, do post away. : )

Regards,
    Don B.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

I have a couple of orders headed my way, too.
    Supposed to arrive tomorrow:

Sugar & Spice
    Austin Dickinson
    Mojito
    The Shining
    Fragrant Fire
    Diana Remembered
    Fragrant Dream
    Sweet Innocence
    Royal Standard
    Tokoduma Aureonebulosa
    All That Jazz

And another smaller order later in the week:

Moonlight Sonata
    Sweet Sunshine
    Old Faithful
    Abiqua Moonbeam
    Majesty

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice, Ci Lantro......Hmmm, I see a high percentage of fragrant varieties in your orders. Bitten by the Fragrant Bug, perhaps? Or maybe just the Hosta Bug in general. : )

'All That Jazz' is going to be spectacular when it matures; It's one that I have, and it's one I'm very excited about.

Cheers,
    Guacamole Don : ) (Hey, I been called a lot worse)!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Guacamole Don - One more hosta and its peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from now on!

Good luck with your selections everyone. Eleven, I have Sky Dancer. It is a late bloomer, but when it does, it's covered with many not very tall scapes of white flowers - almost like a bouquet.

I walked out to the garden last evening after a good rain, and there was this most delightful scent from all of the fragrants.

DD

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

don b. macaroni salad is my favorite food lol

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Hillbillyhosta, as I sit down to read this post, I have a plate of macaroni salad with me! I love it, too.....That's too funny!

Don B.

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

don b too funny im finishing up the last of my macaroni salad. we ll have to exchange recipes sometime .

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Yup, lots of fragrants for the backyard. Have been accumulating them slowly. These will go along with the Royal Standards, Adorable, Fried Green Tomatoes, Honeybells, Fried Bananas, Guacamole, Stained Glass, So Sweet, Summer Fragrance, Fragrant Bouquet, Holy Mole and Cathedral Windows already out there.

Going to connect two patio beds but not looking forward to moving 10-12 year old Big Daddy and Good As Gold to make way for all fragrants. Big Daddy has outgrown his space so needs to be moved anyway. I'm not sure that it will all get done this year...may put some of it off until spring. Being next to the patio, it's an area when a lot of snow gets piled so I'm a little nervous about putting fall plantings there...worrying about slow melt (pine tree shade) and too much moisture next spring. However, the area is above the grade of the patio and I have really sandy soil.

Glad to hear a good report on All That Jazz; I've never actually seen one. I've been debating between it and Journey's End; Green Mtn. didn't have JE so Olga's hosta won out. JE & Old Faithful will be my first Olga hostas. I'm excited about both of them!

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Don....nice selection. Looking forward to seeing them when they arrive. Enjoy!!

10 years ago

Hi, All...must be a macaroni kind of day....had sirime salad earlier, (wannabe-crab, celery, red pepper, onion) LOL

Hope everyone who posted their lists here of new arrivals will share some pics please when you are ready? Thnx :-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ci Lantro, this order of mine that is on it's way is from Green Mountain as well. One of the better places to get hosta, in my opinion. I've always gotten nice mature divisions.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mature 'All That Jazz'. This one is growing in Olga P's garden in Indiana. Absolutely beautiful.

Don B.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

That is a great looking hosta there, Don.

Yah, I have been pleased with Grn Mtn, having ordered from them a couple of times last year. Nice sized, usually multiple eyes, robust plants. Just one hitch and it's the Fujibotan that I rec'd last year...flowers aren't opening except for the three outermost petals. Looks like it's one of those dud Fujis. I'll prolly just compost it & move on since it would have quickly overgrown where I planted it anyway.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

"Just a plain greenie" is pretty poor praise for Moonlight Sonata. It's a nice deep green, and ruffle-y. Give it a few years, you'll like it!