Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID help for a friend

Posted by zkathy 7a NC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 23:21

A girlfriend of mine has taken up with a nice gentleman named Jack who used to have a passion for hostas. I got to see what is left of his collection today. He had some common hostas and some Bob Solberg hostas as he would drive to Green Hill to purchase hostas.

But this one he could not remember the name and I couldn't even hazard a guess. Anyone recognize it? This is the only picture I took. It really was that deep blue green color.

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID help for a friend

My guess would be Barbara Ann.

Margaret

o

I have Barbara Ann in a similar shade amount in my garden. I'll go look at it when the sun comes up. This one reminds me of the NOID #3 in mac48025 recent post requesting ID.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: ID request post by mac48025

o

Could it be Christmas Pageant? I was just browsing pics in the Hosta library.

o

its always some mysterious friend.. lol .

what about sugar daddy ...

i am not familiar with solbergs offering ... to the point of only naming H he has offered ...

wonder if you could send a pic to him????

ken

o

Not sure if your pic is the same as mine but FWIW I believe mine is Bobbie Sue. I know for sure I have Bobbie Sue as I bought it from Tom Schmid and it's named after his wife. The tips of yours seem more pointed than mine though. I think kens idea is good as Bob would most likely know what it is. Good luck !

o

I have a similar looker in the ground at my house. It is Sugar Daddy. It is on the list of hosta which have edge melt I think it is called. I got it from Naylor Creek in 2012. I loved the name as well as the look. It is a sport of Big Daddy.
Look it up in Hosta Library for mature pictures. It is said to develop a "sawtooth" margin as it matures. It has white blooms in June/July.

Oct 2013 not bad for this time of year.
DSCN9687

Here is a picture of mine which is in its 3d season in May 2014 and definitely not mature.

o

I thought I should be offended by ken's comment about a sugar daddy until I saw Mocc's post. Edge melted pretty much describes my friend's hosta so I'm satisfied it's Sugar Daddy.

Kathy

o

I did not read Ken's offering up Sugar Daddy as a possibility, it simply looked like mine. If you don't know it is supposed to have a creamy white edge, it doesn't look TOO bad from a distance.

Well well well, I finally have an ID right! YeeeeHaaaa! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here