Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Is anyone growing H. 'Trifecta'?

This is one of my befores that no one responded to...does that mean nobody has it? That just can't be! Can it? :-(
Jo

Comments (15)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

I just got one this spring so it's still small. I hope it someday looks as good as yours does in this pic. I think the tricolor hostas are beautiful.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have a label.. and a bare spot

ken

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Uh oh...sounds ominous, ken. Does it have "terminal white" tendencies?

Yours sure is a looker, Jo!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Uh oh...sounds ominous, ken. Does it have "terminal white" tendencies?

Yours sure is a looker, Jo!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jadie! I agree....it caught my eye on my first visit...I allowed Cindy (whose opinion I respect) to (sort of) talk me out of it ... it was more of a "value" comparison thing at the time as it was priced at $20 ...don't even remember what I chose instead..but on Monday morning I went right for it...It was there waiting for me. :-).

Ken...Can I buy a vowel??? lol. .....your thoughts on this one? What made you buy it originally? ...did it not grow well? Please explain..thnx

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

it was a gift ... a trade ...

it expired ...

i think the area is way to dark .... the lawn under the oaks is failing.. which is a good indication of lack of sufficient usable light ....

and it is a giant white center ...

everything in the area is failing ....

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ken...I am sorry to hear that...I guess the oaks are needing, and getting/taking all they can? Bummer.

I did read that Trifecta should be sited in shade...I'll plant it in general area of Fire and Ice and see how both do next year. The "whites" saga, huh?

My experience with white-centered hosta is limited to...losing a Loyalist last year, replacing a Fire and Ice this year not due to loss, but to satisfy a need to enjoy it sooner...an impatient solution...the original was sooooo slow to emerge, and grew sooo slowly that it resembled a mini! I attribute it to the slow arrival of spring, no biggie.

I loved the fact that it was healthy and actually good looking...normally I would keep and patiently enjoy it, but I gifted it to a very grateful novice hosta lover (ulterior motive, you're thinking?) ...Eva bought her very own new hosta, Brim Cup this year! A new hostaholic in the making! Lol.

I've given her many hosta and other perennials, helped her divide a few (enjoyed showing her how easy it was) and am responsible for and proud to say, a great, and expanding hosta garden....enabling...so to speak...tongue-in-cheek..lol

All in all, I would not hesitate to buy another "white centered" if it grabbed my attention, like Trifecta did. It's trial and error sometimes and I'm challenged by the trial aspect of it all. It's always gratifying when I can grow something successfully that has a low survival rate..and a stigma. That's half the fun for me!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

My wife bought one - I think at the 2010 convention... little one. It looked cute but didn't have much substance and didn't survive the first Minnesota winter in the ground... one of those I'd let somebody else grow to a real plant rather than taking the chance on a tc or slightly grown tc...

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I bought one about 4 years ago. It had 4-5 lovely eyes and today it has one small eye. I did move it this year it hope that more sun would help it grow. If not I'll buy something better. Good luck with it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the luck, Tim! Idiothe, I'm sorry yours didn't make it..I don't imagine you lose many though.

I'm going to need luck, is what it looks like! I'll enjoy it, for however long it deigns to stay alive. :-)

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

This one was planted in 2010.

Vanessa

• idiothe
    10 years ago

That really is a pretty tricolor, isn't it. Maybe someday - if I can get rid of a couple of hundred cultivars, I might add this one... and this time I won't start with a little weak tc...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Here is my Trifecta in it's first spring coming up in my garden. So far it has been a pretty good grower for me. It's mama is Little Sunspot - that one was new to me last year and is huge now - extremely vigorous.

• User
    10 years ago

From the first plant pictured, I'd say you can find a better growing hosta to give that same "trifecta" look. Take a look at Summer Music. It is growing nicely, has no burnt leaves, and it looks gorgeous every day so far.

Summer Music in May 2013

...and then in August, it is the one at the bottom of the photo
    getting a dose of afternoon sun with the big boys

Summer Music has 31 sports according to MYHOSTAS.BE and I have several quite without realizing where they originated. Like Summer Breeze, Summer Lovin, Dance With Me, Mango Tango.....I did have Stitch In Time, but it was a weak tiny plant and did not survive the winter.

Not familiar with Trifecta, hope yours does nicely. I know that Summer Music, with a similar look, grows for me.

Original Author
    10 years ago

ConnieMay, your Trifecta is so lovely..nice to see how big the leaves grow! It is nice n bright. Im thinking since mama is vigorous for you, it has a pretty good chance and that's positive! How much sun exposure do you give it?

Mocc...Summer Music IS pretty too...softer colours...and should Trifecta not perform well, I will certainly consider it as one of the alternatives as yours is doing so well...glad you're happy with it. :-)