Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. 'Osprey'

Posted by hostahillbilly Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 23:36

osprey2012-07-27_14-13-26_358

I looked this one up on HL, and one of the pics (the second one) from Mr. Axmear makes it look like it may be rhizomatous. That, or he planted one heckofa drift of them ;-!

I also looked at the db for info such as that but didn't see any mention of that.

Having watched actual Osprey many times (I like watching them fish even better that Bald Eagles), I am perplexed with how and/or why this Hosta was so named.

Perhaps the esteemed Mr. Pollock will someday write about it in my fave part of the AHS Journal, in his 'What's in a Name' series (hint, request).

fwiw,

hh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. 'Osprey'

Hi HH,

I think you have this one mixed up with something else. Osprey is a blue tardiana type from Eric Smith.

Chris

o

hi Chris,

positively osprey!

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 11:50

That second Axmear pic on the HL shows a bunch of babies in small pots. This pic reminds me of a Blue Cadet that's gone green. Could the tag have come from the plant behind it? Or maybe it's just a really bad pic.

o

Ahhh, semantics!!!
Well, Eleven, I think you interpreted his meaning as the "second photo credited to Bob Axmear" when what he said was
"the second photo," which was by Bob Axmear.

I can see the FOURTH PHOTO of Osprey, which happens to be the "second photo by Bob Axmear" as you interpreted it, and those are young plants in small nursery containers.

But the actual photo #2, it looks like Blue Cadet, and it is still blue, not gone green.

Don't you just love playing with words? :)

And HH, is your Osprey the same size as Blue Cadet? I have no idea the size of the leaf or the hosta in your personal photo.Plus, Osprey in the MYHOSTAS.BE says it is by Eric Smith.....but maybe you already knew that, and just hoped that the esteemed Mr. Pollock would reveal the rest of its story?

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 8:23

And this is why commas are important! Haha.

Anyway, based on these pics, I don't see the point of having Osprey when you can get Blue Cadet easier and cheaper. Or maybe this is one of those cases of the pics not doing it justice? Sometimes that's all we have.

o

I have a new little Blue Cadet, and I'm happy with it.
Of course, my passion for the gold leaf with green margined hosta, only exceeded by anything with plantaginea in it, means I have gaps in collecting blue leafed hosta.

Blue Cadet is fine with me. I've seen some gorgeous clumps of it pictured on our forum. There is not enough difference between it and Osprey to make having both a goal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here