Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

under-rated Hostas

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

The next cupla years HOTY choices *so* illustrates their lineage (as to where that list comes from), that it got me to thinking of Hostas (so many) that would easily beat them. One that came to mind, Katy Q:

Comments (27)

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

or if u prefer an old classic, Nancy Gill:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Surely a Lakeside plant should be on such a list, in this case, L.S. Stormwatch:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who doesn't have fond memories of 'Summer Lovin':

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Another great one from the LS series, in my opinion: 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope'.

Don B.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

What a good idea for a thread HH. Most of my favorite plants are not the ones that are Hostas of the year or the most favored by everyone. I've chosen plants that I think are unique enough that I would be able to identify them in anyone's garden. They all have grown well for me.

Here are some of my pics.

Cool Hand Luke - a sport of Tokudama Flav. It always looks good and I haven't seen another plant that is similar.

Ruffed Up was described as tough as nails and it sure it. It's grown like a weed, has ruffles and corrugation and laughs at the slugs and hot sun.

A great plant with upturned edge

One of my best small to mid size margin variegated plants.

Hirao Majesty is one of my favorites but has been hard for me to photograph to my satisfaction. It has sun behind it and tends to wash out in photos. I can't seem to get an angle that shows it's wonderfully floppy leaves. That's Dark Star below to show the size. Another atribute is that it has my favorite of all the Hosta flowers. They actually look good in all the stages. They look like a bird when they are first opening up.

The interesting way Gin and Tonic curls at the top makes it always identifiable.

Maybe I'm the only one that grows Theo's Blue? I can't remember anyone else talking about it. It's described as slightly blue or blue quickly turning green. That's not my experience. Besides growing faster than Halcyon and others in that family, it stays blue until fall (at least to my eye).

Here is a garden shot showing Theo's Blue taken at the end of August. It is below Jade Cascade near the center top of the picture. That's Gin and Tonic at the bottom.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I just bid on a Theo's Blue on the H. L. auction! So glad to hear your endorsement. Love that Katie Q too.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Nice to see you posting again,Myrle! Always loved your gardens! HH,I just planted a Katy Q this year. Nice to see what it will look like in a few years! Phil

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Great thread topic! As a newcomer to hosta, I am soaking up your collective expertise. I have Katie Q and Summer Lovin, both doing well so far. I love the look of LS Stormwatch. I can't tell if it is just the photo, but it looks wonderfully satiny.

Thank you for taking the time to share these; I have often wondered if some good cultivars fall out of style just because newer arrivals come out of TC and take the lime light.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

HH, you just sold a 'Katie Q'...I just bought one.

Bunch of enablers!! (Thanks)!

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

McTavish, I have Theo's Blue. It was a lovely blue color for a good long time after I got it this spring. However, it began looking bad, and I discovered the pot (with built on saucer) was not draining properly. I repotted it to a nursery style pot with draining on the side, and now it is doing better. Here is its June 2013 picture.

Theo's Blue

• User
    10 years ago

Correction....above, August 13 2013 picture of Theo's Blue after I repotted it.

I got it in March from Naylor, and it put on two new leaves in this picture dated April 2013.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Does anyone know which (if any) online retailers are selling 'Nancy Gill'? From HH's single beautiful pic, that plant went on my 'get it' list.

Thanks,
    Don B.

EDIT: OK, found it at Jim's Hostas. : )

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 15:46

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Hey Phil, I was thinking as I was choosing pictures for this thread that your Eventide belongs here. If ever I find a nursery that carries it, I'll be getting one for sure.

Mocc. I got my Theo's Blue from Naylor too. That was 2009. Mine has grown really well. I think in your hotter climate the blue goes much more quickly than here. Our high summer temps are in the high 90's with occasional 100 but 85 -95 is probably average. I'm often surprised that plants described as loosing the blue really don't here.

• User
    10 years ago

McTavish, I'm looking at the 2013 Hosta Finder and see there are multiple nurseries selling it. However, I have no idea which Canadian places have it.

Briefly, the avg price is $12.95.
    Sold by WadeGatton, Bridgewood, Franc's, Glenbrook, Jim's, LOTG, O'Brien, Pine Forest, Savory's, Schmid, and Shadow. I've purchased things from Wade, Bridgewood, Jims, LOTG, and Savory's. Plan to get some things from Schmid one of these days too. His price on this is $25, but he is known for his quality.

Hope you find it easily available in Canada..

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Myrle, in your garden shot pic, what is the variegated hosta to the left of Gin and Tonic? (Beautiful pic of your garden, by the way)

Thanks,
    Wendy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Fair Maiden'. The color is a bit off, happened when I cropped the pic. Cropped to show details of it's beautiful variegation.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

One of the smalls that I really like is Verna Jean. I got 2 last year, and it is doing very nicely. Grows well and stays fresh. It is a bit darker green now than it was in July.

• User
    10 years ago

Here is another small and a mini that I like too. Taken in August 2013.

White Dove is the small. I bought from two sources (something I like to do). One has seed pods .

Then there is the mini Little Jay. I is the reverse variegation of White Dove, is much smaller. It had a moment this year when it looked bad, but improving the drainage helps, believe me. I also moved it out a bit so air circulated around it better.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

LS Stormwatch, Fair Maiden and Ruffed Up are now on my list. Keep the pics coming.

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

McTavis6 - You also sold me on Ruffed Up which is meeting my requirements for ruffles, sun tolerance and growth!!

DD

• dg
    10 years ago

Just ordered Verna Jean, I'm glad your experience has been positive! Small with fragrance, can't beat that :-)

Deb

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Wendy that's Goodness Gracious the sport of Satisfaction. If it continues growing as it has been it will take over that whole corner.

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

Thanks Myrle, another one to add to my wish list!

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am unsure of the proper protocol for bumping your own thread up , or is it better to start a new thread?

perusing my gallery for photos to upload to the hosta library, I came across this unappreciated wonderful hosta - Roller Coaster Ride. Wait for the flower pic next post...

hh

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and a cheap plant, to boost...

hh

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Protocol'? Que?? Those flowers are really cool, HH. Look like those H. yingeri 'spidery' blooms?

Don B.