Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

show me your pondless waterfalls

almosthooked zone5
10 years ago

I am getting a kit from the neighbour who use to install ponds and waterfall at the dealer cost and he offered to help install for free.Love all the great neighbours. He knows how to do this and asks the right questions refering to a quiet waterfall or a noisy one, ones with streams that go back and forth and dry return ponds or smaller one with water. Decisions , decisions but I love pictures and can try to include all of everyones great ideas.. It will have places for plants and large rocks and smaller ones too. It will be built in between the two existing gardens to the left and right of picture and make them join into one. A path for easy access.and where the wheel barrow is will be the circulating pool and waterfall near bottom of picture. This already has a downhill slope but thinking he said around 7 feet of falls and around 4 1/2 ft of height but maybe more if it looks okay

I would appreciate pictures and ideas you may have too. .. I am so fortunate to have such great help

Thanks, Faye

Comments (23)

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This will be the left side of the falls(planted fall 2012) and the one that Myrle got me hooked on host on the other side in 2011. Grass never grew great there anyway.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Not much of a waterfall, just tiny and fills a spot next to the back steps where nothing wanted to grow. The cats drink out of it and it is soothing to hear when we are sitting on the patio or deck.

It all started with a small pre-formed pond tub and pump given to us by a friend who didn't want to fool with it. Of course we are rock collectors, so a few trips to the river brought us some interesting stones, a trip to the rock yard got some bigger ones, and after a lot of moving rocks around later we had our little water feature. The back of the waterfall is backed with pond liner.

Still tweaking it. The ivy covered frame behind it is a wire Christmas tree that we have wound lights around, got tired of storing it in the basement in the summer, so we are now working on a topiary. There is another smaller one on the left.

I just noticed looking at the picture that the rock in the corner of the deck and the steps looks like a face.

Sandy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I see the face! It reminds me of those statues on Easter Island. : )

I'm sorry, Faye...I only have a waterfall-less pond.

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don.. show me anyway

Sandy. That is so nice. I love rocks and the noise of water running and is so soothing and like out camping I saw the face on the rock as I was scrolling down . One of my rocks looks like a guy that is on tv and has a hooked nose. My husband said so will have to check it out tomorrow.
    Keep them coming ponds, waterfalls or any water features!
    Thanks, Faye

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

From a tour garden....

Paul

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Mine is a little hidden now. A few pics from this Spring.

Reverse angle

Dan

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

I just want to sit in that chair.....

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I don't have a water feature, but have a question. The DH used to keep a tub of water for the birds. They drank out of it and bathed in it and pooped in it.

Do they do that to a moving water feature? I wouldn't mind doing one just for the birds, but I hate cleaning up bird poop. (2 Dog's poop is more than enough poop cleaning for me.)

bk

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

bk - poopy storys have me so gigglin' - tnx!

we're water- feature dreamin, even leavin' a space fer it

someday...

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

bk - poopy storys have me so gigglin' - tnx!

we're water- feature dreamin, even leavin' a space fer it

someday...

hh

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I now only have a pond with a bench in the back yard, with goldfish in it, and a net over it against herons. Years ago I had a little waterfall in a tub close to the entrance. One lady commented to my wife, that waterfall noise makes her go to the bathroom, so I had to disassemble it.
    Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have goldfish in one small 110 gallon pond with just an air pump but now that the fish are three or four yrs old the poop lots and I have to change the water alot.
    Bernd... the lady that needed to go to the bathroom would have finally emptied lol( or went home)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Faye, since I have fish in my approx. 350 gallon pond, I also change the water frequently; The backyard gets watered with it. Good water for hostas, they seem to love it. Pic taken in 2005.

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don , what did you use for a liner in your fish pond? I have been thing the fish are now around 4 inche need a bigger tank . I have a rubber stock waterer surrounded with rocks and maybe a liner would possibly be better. Yes I use the water for the hosta too
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

It's one of those pre-formed, run-of-the-mill plastic liners that you might see stacked outside in the corner of big box store garden centers. Cheapo stuff. I will expand within a couple of years, as I'm desiring a considerably bigger water feature. That's the plan, anyway. Hope yours ends up as you envision it.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

This is my little pond right now, is pre-formed. I do not use any electricity. 6 goldfish can live there without air, even in only 18 inch dept of water, but well covered up over winter. I used to empty 20% of the water each month and refill. This year I let the water hose run into it for 15 minutes every month. There is no waterfall though. The net is there to prevent herons from eating the goldfish. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 8:05

• hostanista
    10 years ago

bkay,
    Yes of course, the birds flock to a moving water feature - the sound of the water attracts them. Used to have this one in my old back yard, about 10'x16' (approx. 900 gallons) and robins especially loved the waterfall and bathed in it all the time. Had about 20 small goldfish and they overwintered just fine even way up here in Canada. As long as they have a 3' deep spot to huddled down into for the winter - they go into a semi-hibernation state, don't eat until the water warms up in spring. Must keep an air hole in the ice too so that they get oxygen, so either keep the ice at bay with a chisel or better still float a little pond heater when it starts to ice. Of course in Z8 or wherever it's warm enough you don't need to worry about that!

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I have enjoyed this thread as I have a dream of a waterfall, or *2* ! I even already have the pump that I found on a screaming deal sale.

for now, as to falling water sounds to attract the birds, the fountain has worked for years, and sure was a lot easier to set up ^_^

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

I have enjoyed this thread as I have a dream of a waterfall, or *2* ! I even already have the pump that I found on a screaming deal sale.

for now, as to falling water sounds to attract the birds, the fountain has worked for years, and sure was a lot easier to set up ^_^

{{!gwi}}

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a nice waterfall and pond Hostanista. Kind of what I envisioned but not sure what I may get. Went up for tea to neighbors yesterday and he got all my pond supplies and three lights with transformer that turn onat dusk and off at dawn. Now for him to finish there projects to help with mine. Can hardly wait!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Dansgrdn, lovely pics of your spring garden. Is the tree in the upper left of the 1st pic a Golden Norway Spruce by any chance? I've purchased one recently (impulse buy) and am trying to decide whether to keep it or not.

ConnieMay

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

ConnieMay, the spruce is actually Picea orientalis 'Skylands'. So it is an oriental spruce instead of a Norway Spruce (Picea abies).

Love the water feature hostanista!

Dan

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick response Dan.