Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Preference Amongst These Blues?

arbo_retum
9 years ago

My goals are metallic blue, medium size and holds its blue through the season more than other cultivars.
I've narrowed them down to
Fragrant Blue Hosta
Prairie Sky Hosta
Silver Bay Hosta

Strong preferences or loves? Thx much!
mindy

Comments (11)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Of those three, Prairie Sky holds its color best for me - Silver Bay greens up the fastest here.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Fragrant Blue and Prairie Sky are winners.
    Silver Bay hasn't impressed me here.
    Canadian Blue beats all of them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

fragrant blue's fragrance.. never impressed me ...

blue is blue.. but dont wrapped up in this ones name ...

we have had this sub-discussion before.. other do not agree with me

my favorite blue of all time.. is camelot ....

ken

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Camelot is also awesome....but slooooooow.

• dhaven
    9 years ago

If you plant Camelot in a fair amount of sun, it will grow much faster. However, it will also green up sooner most years. This summer I planted out half a dozen divisions in 3/4 sun, with the intention of growing them out to a nice size, then moving them to other spots in the garden that have more shade. After only 2 months, they are already showing a lot of extra growth, having doubled in size.

I am also partial to Flemish Sky and Blue Dimples. Flemish Sky has more of a bluish grey coloration, but holds it's color quite well. Blue Dimples has excellent color and holds it for most of the season. BD isn't often seen, but it's a terrific hosta, and a very nice size as well. Both of these have interesting leaves and a very nice plant habit in addition to the pleasing coloration.

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Hadspen blue? Summers almost over and its still holding that steel blue coloring strong. It's planted in a few hours of afternoon sun.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't have many blues due to my zone. So, take what I say with a grain of salt. I bought a Halcyon this spring. I'm impressed. It still has some blue, even in our heat.

It's an oldie, but I really like it.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of these, and all three are growing really well in my garden. But I'd suggest Prairie Sky. It's not a metallic blue, but it'll hold its blue color for a real long time, and has a lovely form to it.

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Don, your Praire Sky is one of the nicest I've seen and growing like gangbusters. I like mine, too, but it's not growing as fast as yours.

Another knock for poor Silver Bay. I loved the symmetrical form and heart-shaped leaves when it was young, so much so that I bought two of them. But as it's matured I don't like the sloppy form at all. Whether that's the norm or just mine, I don't know. It is more silver-ish if that's what you mean by metallic, but only early in the season for me.

I have no experience with Fragrant Blue.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Don's Prairie Sky is magnificent. Gotta get one of those.

I love all the blues, but a particular favorite is Secret Love. It has a thin green margin, which may disqualify it from this discussion, but the smoky blue represents my ideal. And it lasts through the season.

Thanks all for making this such an interesting thread.

Steve

Secret Love (from my archives)