Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

rugose, crinkly

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

There was a leaf-shot series earlier this summer that I missed, and don't want to bump up just yet, tho I've a lot of those pics.

However, I think.a special sub-set of leaf shots may be worth looking at.

As a start, 'Rocky Roads':

Comments (81)

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

This is Glacial Lake a Sagae' x sieboldiana 'Elegans cross. This is a large easily grown hosta that is pretty tough. I've never had any slug damage on this one. I've included a picture of it with Key West to give somewhat of a size idea.

This post was edited by sidney1515 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:22

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

McTavish. . .loving that Sunshine Glory.

Paul. . How beautiful is your Blueberry Muffin! I've been considering that one and I think you just tipped the scales. . bad boy. . .hahaha

HH. . You do applesauce, too?? Clearly you are more than just ornamental. . .lololololol

Don, bless your heart for asking about that Mount Daisen seedling. I have been meaning all year to get a picture out for Steve. I've been one of four caregivers for several years. Now we are down to two of us so I have been away from home quite a bit this year. I took some pictures earlier on this year but find myself doing catch-up when I get home. I have good intentions but don't seem to get the camera out after my house and yard work. I took some pictures of her early this year but they don't seem to be on my laptop which is what I try to remember to take with me when I am away from home. The seedling increased quite a bit and got heaver in leaf this year. Every time I went out to take her picture it was raining. Her leaves were so heavy and we had weeks of rain so that as she un furled she was looking like Farah Faucet caught in the rain storm. I've been so busy that I am ashamed to say I haven't checked her out the last couple times I've gotten home. I'll try to do better. I'm glad you like her. She was special to me but I'm not as good a judge as the others on this list. I sure am thankful for all the talent in this group and the willingness to impart that knowledge.

Again, I want to thank everyone who posts here. I so enjoy the pictures and the knowledge imparted in invaluable. . .just know you are appreciated.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm telling you Sid when it comes to putting up fruits and veggies I'm a regular factory - peaches, blueberrys, etc, done. a-sauce, >200 jars done and 3 trees yet to go, looks like the pear tree is next . . .

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wylde Green Cream

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a Captain Kirk sport

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a 'Ballroom Bubbles' op seedling

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Climax

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spilt Milk

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love Pat

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yogi Bear

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Circus Bear

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LS Rhapsody

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fat Cat

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Goober

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eye Catcher

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pebbles:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue Balloons:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spellbound, downright unruly:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Big Daddy:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another frilly lady, Lucy Vitols:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blue Whale:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

unruly even, Spinning Wheel:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grumpy Bear:

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

You know it's a great thread when it takes long to load. Great pics everyone.

Steve

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

That Grumpy bear leaf is a standout to be sure !

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Dick Ward'

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Aspen Gold'

Don B., glad to be able to contribute, but just a little bit.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SteveMass-

as i stated, i was too busy and missed the leaf shot thread earlier this summer, but thought this *specialized* one might be fun - whoa, seems krinkly is popular, huh?

so now what, skinny leafs, heart-shaped, lanceolate?

Don Rawson may even git new ideas, woo-hoo...

I'd love to find a *new* catagory for his extensive list of lists. That may be an interesting contest/thread?

hh the instigator, just for fun...

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

by way of honest disclosure, although almost all of the pictures i post are mine, or at the very least of this garden. i just noticed that the pic of 'Pebbles' I posted earlier is from the K Gardens of Grandville (near Grand Rapids) MI, with permission from Tim Klamer, one of the owners.

we visit many gardens every year - this is our favorite place, besides home...n

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

This is a great thread! I especially love 'Grumpy Bear', 'Pebbles' and 'Blue Balloons'!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Simply Sharon from a tour garden.

Paul

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Love this thread!

Another 'Clear Fork River Valley'

and a few seedlings that fit the category

Dan

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Another great thread that shouldn't get buried yet.

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Don, thanks for bumping, I missed this one. I recently caught a case of the rumply bumplies and I think its getting worse. I bought Reptillian and ODG this year so their not ready to show. Here is one not yet on this thread from a tour garden:

Heat Wave

• User
    10 years ago

Some of the smaller bumpy rumply things are also nice to have.
    I like them a lot.

King of Spades is young, but I think getting there

Dick Ward, not such a small one, but oooohhh what substance and a great color and bumpy too.

Midas Touch is the bumpy one, August Moon is just along for the ride, sharing a pot.

Little Hobber doing fine as a bumpy plant, although it is such a new guy.

Silver Bay is developing bumps too

Lucy Vitols and Aspen Gold always bring a smile to my face, so strong and trouble free. I got both of these from Don Rawson.

and lastly, Corn Muffins

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

Oh how I want that Grumpy Bear!

Great thread guys.

Editing to say that Grumpy bear isn't in the hosta library.

Hostahillbilly any chance of a pic of the full plant? pretty please.

This post was edited by mountainy_man on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 17:13

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Hostahillbilly--Do you have a bigger picture of Yogi Bear? More info on it? I am not finding any online info on it. I really like the looks!

Terri

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Big baby NOID.

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mountainy_man n terri -

those bears are ftom "the boss' bear line and she's out pikin more apples fer me to sauce - i'll ask her about more pics later . . .

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

4 MM - here ya go, me lad,

first the grumpy bear from 2011, early June:

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mr. Mountain Man,

Per ur request, here's the grumpy ladd on 15 July 2012.

This is a plant whose friends r all bears, but the boss, errr, originator of these gardens (the missus), takes 'er sweet time with going public, as far too many new plants r introduced without patient, proper, time-consuming evaluation.

I've sent seed across the big east pond, but don't know how tricky a live plant transfer is, besides the sensitive time issue.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

terri,

sorry, Yogi turns out to b a this very year sport cull from Circus Bear.

The whole "Bear" line is a work-in-progress, but you may find one of the earliest winners on HL as 'Baby Bear' . . .

My personal take is that a full new hosta evaluation is a decade-ish long...

fwiw,
    .hh

10 years ago

hostahillbilly, Wow its so lovely, I love the early June 11 colour and the mid July 12 looks like new verdigris on a bronze sculpture. Fantastic leaf texture.

The boss sounds like a very conscientious woman, she has a really nice plant there. I don't know anything about shipping trans Atlantic, or even if the EU lets in plants, its probably best to wait until the Boss puts it out on the market. I can wait a few years am not quite 40 yet!

Thanks for going to the trouble of getting the photos. Good luck with it.

I love the description of Baby Bear on myhostas.be !

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

There are sure some great plants here. Love the crinkles. This is a plant of my sisters grown in Washington. Mine is about 1/2 the size.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Is this the one you were searching for hosta-see ? I will see if it bumps. Some pictures didn't want to load until I clicked on the place where the pic was suppose to be and they came through

• koffman99
    8 years ago

A bump for one of the best hosta threads ever. Show us some crinkles, puckers, and rugose leaves !

8 years ago

Ah yes a lovely thread. Want so many of these.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

Koffman, I certainly agree with you! :). I had a great time revisiting this thread!

Now I am off to look for my hostas that fit this bill....

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Old thread, my favorite kind of hosta. Anyone to add new ones?