Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the chances

Posted by valtorrez 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 2:27

Last year we were in a drought and some of my hostas did not come back big. One such hosta is fire island. It was small this year but one it is barely there when I went to inspect hostas other day. We had a family of rabbits in yard and I suspect they ate leaves. If this is case would my hosta grow back next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the chances

Probably. It's just not going to be very big. Give it extra water and a little fertilizer. In fact, if it stays dry, give all your hostas water. People think they're drought tolerant because they don't wilt, but they actually love to be damp. Dry hostas eventually just fade away.

o

Water yes, but do not give fertilizer at this time of year. You will end up with weak top growth that will get blasted in a freeze/frost. That will just stress the plant even more. Just give it plenty of water. It will grow roots this fall and be OK in Spring.

Steve

o

it should be easy to look and see if next years pips are still there

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here