Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Flowers of 'Rocket's Red Glare'

Good morning, All!

I have my first flower scape (of two) on my 2014 RRG! Does anyone have one with open blooms yet? Perhaps in warmer zone than my own?

The scape colour is gorgeous as is the sheath enclosing the bud formation. Amazing beauty in colour co-ordination on this hosta!

Would anyone have a mature RRG pic to post, please?

Thank you,
Jo.

Comments (17)

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I saw mine scaping the other day but have yet to get a pic. So pretty! It's not mature yet, was new last year.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Eleven! Ooooohh, I can't wait then to see your pic when the flowers open. I'll also be curious to see and hear how it's grown for you since last year. Later, then! :-)

Jo

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

My scapes are long, held almost horizontal and are a shade or two deeper lavender then what the pictures shows. I took this after a 4" rain that we received today.

• User
    9 years ago

Now this is very strange. I don't have a shot of RRG blooming this year. Did I miss it? Or did it miss blooming.

Beautiful petiole colors, would love the flowers too I bet. Here it is in May 2013

I got it in 2012, and it is not yet mature.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Gary, that is a very pretty scape! Thanks for posting and...what is the white-edged green one to the left? It's very crisp - -a really nice hosta!

Raining here too...like last year...then it's all downhill after that :-(

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow, Josephine, that is one exotic-looking scape. Very striking!

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Josephine, that would be Independence. Rocket's Red Glare is in my "patriotic" bed along with Liberty, American Dream , Revolution, Patriot, Minuteman, Old Glory, Patriot's Fire, American Hero, Dawn's Early Light - well, you get the drift. It's only a two year old plant , but set two scapes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

HostaTakeover....you're right! "exotic" is the perfect word to describe it! Thanks for looking!

It has made me pause and think about the flowers that were unusually beautiful this year. This is one of them. The others that were more unusual in bud form and flower from the "usual" hosta flowers (beautiful in their own right and so delicate looking) were: Fingerprint, Guardian Angel, Ann Kulpa, Rainforest Sunrise...just to name a few. And Sagae had a cool looking bud formation this year too!

An Aside........I have to thank the forum and it's members for opening my eyes. In the past I treated all hosta flowers the same...couldn't wait for them to finish blooming so I could cut the scapes off, not noticing how different some of them were. Then Mocc and Guacamole Don introduced me to the "fragrant flowered hostas" and my powers of observation just became keener!...not to mention my olfactory capability :-)

I can't wait for the flowers of RRG to open to see if I can detect a scent!

Mocc, your RRG is beautiful and older than mine which happily means maturity is just around the corner! Isn't that just great? It will be soo exciting to see it next year. I hope you make a note to yourself to try and catch the bloom period...perhaps during your twilight stroll. Now that you mention it, I recall a few hostas I bought in the last year or so which did not produce flower scapes that season but bloomed subsequently. Perhaps yours is saving all the glory for next year. :-)

Gary, thanks...I didn't catch the speckling on the white margin but now that you told me what it is, I zoomed in and can spot a few. Nice hosta, 'Independence'!

Jo

Just checked in the rain...here it is today :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Nice, Jo. Complete with its properly colored heuchera nearby. I love the ones with almost black scapes. I suppose dark plum would be more appropriate.

Bob Solberg is hybridizing some with the deep colored scapes and pets. I have one Sugar Plum that is a beautiful smoky plum. I wanted that particular one because I worked on a boat named Sugar Plum. Went from L.A. to L.A. on it, the hard way (not by way of Omaha)....from "lower Alabama" to "Los Angeles" through the Panama Canal. Will never forget THAT trip!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Nice RRGs to all.

This is RRG flowers from last year. Scapes are so horizontal that you can't ge the flowers and leaves in one shot. This scape hangs over the neighboring ferns.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Purple Heart is a similar hosta to RRG, same color, shape, form. Not sure if they are actually related, but I would guess yes.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, I was just about to preview my post when I ran out of battery power, argh! I was commenting on how interested I would be in reading about Mr. Solberg's new hybrids with darker scapes and pets. The weather is changing...more time for research/interesting reading. :-)

HostaHosta, the pic of RRG with the fern is striking in that the veins of the fern match the flower scape colour! The second pic of Purple Heart and those beautiful, abundant and vivid flowers is so dramatic. I will google to learn more about it. Thanks for looking in and the photos! :-)

Jo

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I remembered to get those pics of Rocket's Red Glare flowers the other day. Just ignore any leaves :) We had a hailstorm on August 2nd, and most of my hostas have looked bad ever since.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

Eleven, I just gaga'd over the second picture of the rows of buds! Wow! Great pics!

I went to check on my RRG this morning. The flower scape does not appear to have progressed much since my last pic...in fact, it seems to have stopped elongating...need some warmth..had lots of rain and cool weather. Hoping for sunshine and promise of warmer weather to come by week-end.

Thanks for remembering to post the pics..they sure were worth waiting for. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos, lovely plant and flowers. I am most impressed. I got the email of your post, which included the pictures, and I saved it to my GWeb clippings. Don't want to lose this. Great shots of those flowers.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Jo, thanks for sharing photos of your Rocket's Red Glare flower scape. That certainly is a beautiful one. I don't have this one . . . yet!

I can see that the flowers and scape are a joy to behold. I have enjoyed seeing the lovely photos posted by all.