Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Summer Lovin and friends

jel48
10 years ago

One of my favorite areas in my own garden is what we call the Rose Garden. Of course, since my primary love is hosta, our rose garden contains as many (ok, maybe a few more) hostas than it does roses. The roses are in there, and one of them is even quite spectacular when blooming, and there's also a nice assortment of hyacinths in the spring, but hostas (of course) are the beautiful background for everything.

The post about dark greens with a yellow border caused me to go out and take a photo of Summer Lovin last night and I've uploaded it to that thread. But I also wanted to share this particular part of my garden in more detail. One of my very favorite things about it, is the back row of four hostas (right up by the foundation of the house). As you face the garden, on the left is Summer Lovin, then a couple of others, then, on the right is a hosta (Sorry, can't tell you the name as the tag has been destroyed during one of our first nasty winters here) that is what I like to think of as the reverse (or mirror) image of Summer Lovin. Summer Lovin with the dark green center and wide yellow border, the mirror image with a yellow center and wide dark green border. I just love this special set of hosta 'bookends' and wanted to share with you all. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of you will even remind me of what variety the other 'bookend' is!

I have to upload the photos from my cell phone, so will add them individually.

Comments (13)

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Summer Lovin

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The mirror image...

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rest of that back row of hostas...

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And just for good measure, part of the middle and front row of hostas. The front row is minis. I'll have to see if I can get a better picture of those and add later. The chickens are a garage sale find and I had NOT intended them to be in my rise garden, but Gary stuck them in there this past spring, and they were actually kind of cute, so there they stayed. Oh, and you can actually see a few rose petals in this photo :-) mostly smeared on the hosta leaves....

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

An earlier photo to show that there are actually roses growing and blooming in this garden.

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And to finish off, a couple of close ups of the roses.

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our favorite.

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another, and now I'm finished :-)

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think roses and hostas go beautifully together! I'm a big fan of non-traditional companion plants. Another of my gardens is a combination of clematis, surrounded by asian and oriental lilies, with alternating small hostas and good sized rocks up front. In that garden, the hostas take the more unusual job of PROVIDING shade... for the clematis roots!

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, the mirror image is Captain Kirk. And in between are August Moon (nearest to Summer Lovin) and Blue Dimples (nearest to Captain Kirk). And in the picture with the hostas in the back row and the fountain, you can just see Iron Gate Delight way back and to the right.

• jel48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Then, in the picture of the middle row, from closest to furthest, yousee Yest erday's Memories, Regal Splendor, Moonlight, a NOID, and Royal Standard.

You'll have to pick them out yourselves, and some aren't in the pic, but the front row, from the side closest to the steps (where Summer Lovin and Yesterday's Memories reside) includes Stilleto, First Mate, Korean Snow, a NOID, Emerald Tiara, a NOID, Radiant Edgar, Tiy Story, and Orange Marmalade.

Nope, I can't identify the roses....

This post was edited by jel48 on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 14:21

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

gooooo 'Chikn Gary', nice touch, heheheh

hh