christmas candy leaf

whirlwind

yellow river

will post more later...

Comments (25)

• tomahawkclaim
    14 years ago

Congratulations! you did it!

And your garden is awesome. Did you take those pics recently? The leaves are so pristine they sure don't look like my end-of-summer plants.

Beautiful! N

• User
    14 years ago

Lovely, lovely! Are those evergreen globes buxus? Please do post more.

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the kind words...
    pictures were taken this morning just to see if i could post them!
    the topiary is ligustrum about 10 years training and trimming!..will post a few more soon

• lilyfantn
    14 years ago

OMG - I am humbled! What a paradise. And look at those sharp edges - Bravo!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

been fun today..a few more pics!
    more of garden..with liberty in front of ball..new this year

dream weaver

new addition majesty

new addition last year eternal flame

new this year great escape

new this year alan titchmarsh

sultana

last one

thanks for looking..its a bit full i know!

• florabundance
    14 years ago

Wow it is just gorgeous! You have really done a super super job. I want to just keep looking at it!

Jean

• rubybaby43
    14 years ago

One question....can I come live in your yard? Please!!
    Kristy :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Absolutely marvelous! Love the juxtaposition of the trimmed and perfect topiary with the looser, more natural elements. I'm thinking a tour of English gardens-in your neighborhood led by you-is in order!!!

Cynthia

• sensibullmastiffs
    14 years ago

WOOOOOOOOOW....stunning

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Jolly good show! Or as you all say across the pond"By Jove.I think you've got it!!" Phil in North Carolina.

• hostared
    14 years ago

Just lovely!
    Your boxwoods are impeccable...what variety are you using?
    And how old are they?
    Your begonias are they on pillars or hung?
    I love this look of calmness and formity.
    You have done a fabulous job.
    It must give you much pleasure and anyone who visits.
    Very nice.

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone...started from scratch about 10 years ago,so everything you see including the trees are only 10 years or less..the hostas are relatively new as i started with a few about 5 years ago,then lost abit of interest as they were always being eaten,in the last 2 years i really found the passion for them as i got hold of the slug population and the older hostas were getting bigger and better..now i cant stop buying hostas and have run out of space!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry forgot to mention the begonias are in baskets and on a automatic waterering system,what a good-send!love begonias in baskets,will look great untill first heavy frosts,usually about middle to end of october over here..then pansies to get me over the depressing winter months...what i like though with evergreens and topiary is you still keep a structure to the garden all the way through the cold winter months and gives you something to look at

• Janice
    14 years ago

GASP!!

You live with a yard like that to go into, anytime you want??
    OH--MY--WORD!!!!!! Gorgeous!!

Okay--now, I am flap-jaw speechless.....................!

• mary52zn8tx
    14 years ago

There are so many nice gardens here, but yours is one of the best. I love everything about it!! What a splendid job of design. LOVE those begonias and hostas.
    Mary

• chris-e
    14 years ago

You Brits and your gardens....just superb!
    Before I came over for the first time, a friend told me that I would never see a greener place or anywhere with so many fantastic gardens. He was right! You gotta love that rain!

I have dragged my husband and daughter around so many English gardens, they don't want to go back with me, but I'm ready to head out again, it's been almost 10 years!

christine

• thisismelissa
    14 years ago

AMAZING!!!

Say, isn't Alan Titchmarsh that designer from Ground Force? We used to get that here on BBC America. I kinda miss that show.

I wish we had more exposure to English gardening. I love that part of the English mentality is to make the best of every square foot... especially given that your gardens are often a fraction of the size of a typical suburban lot in America.

You have a fantastic eye and are a genius at pruning!
    Congratulations on a wonderful garden.

3 questions:
    How long have you been working on this garden?
    How big is your lot?
    How old are your boxwoods? (the round-ish ones and the spiral topiaries)

Marvelous!

• jenniejenjen
    14 years ago

Hostaman - may I ask where about in the UK you are gardening? We may be moving to North Yorkshire (we'll know for sure next month) and I'm glad to see that hostas grow so well 'over there'! Are there many hosta nurseries or do you shop via catalog?

Jennifer

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jennifer..i live in the midlands and yes the hostas grow well over here,but the slugs and snails do also!full time job keeping on top of them....there are a good number of nurseries over here but i get the newest ones from holland..recently got regal supreme and fragrant queen

• critter-ridder
    14 years ago

Beautiful gardens. They look like something out of a magazine...I'm sure it requires a good bit of time and patience to achieve those results.
    Thanks for sharing

Queenie

• greenthumbz4mn
    14 years ago

As i was scrolling down the first set of pictures, I didn't see their names, and as I passed each one, I mentally made a list of all these new ones I wanted. Turned out that I did indeed have some of them--only mine certainly don't look like yours!!!! WOW you have a beautiful garden. You also like white centered Hosta which are my favorites too. I should have guessed you'd have a slug problem, and I bet they're bigger than ours. What do you use to control them??? Is Hosta Virus X a problem in England. Sorry about all those questions, but it is such fun having someone from England share with us. All of your plants are gorgeous, and I liked your comment about having a year round garden of interest. Thanks for sharing. Mary

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mary...thanks for the kind words and yes the slugs and snails are big and hungry over here,took me 2 years and much stress to get on top of them and even now im still looking at new ways of controlling them.My usual attack is to water with 'slug it'in early spring before any sigh of life and then again when the hostas start to appear....also slug pellets(starting to use ferric phosphate pellets now)which go down from early feb and all the way through the season...will use liquid 'slug it' every month or so as well....then not forgetting going out before dark and picking the odd ones.
    HOSTA VIRUS X
    was going to start a thread on that subject as i bet only the specilist hostas growers over here know anything about it!....theres no doubt in my mind that if i visited every garden centre in the country nobody would have a clue what im talking about!....ive not come across it yet or i dont think so,but ive always got my hostas from good sources.there must be many about with the virus but as hostas dont rate as a high selling plant in garden centres then im not sure how much of a problem it will become over here

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry forgot to mention..last season i started to put copper tape around the top of the pots,which i had much success with,then this year i got some old irrigation pipe and wrapped the copper tape around it and bent it into a circle and put it around the bottom of some of my hostas...all helps!

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Gasp is right! You have a beautiful "secret garden" to visit anytime you like. Makes mine look like an abandoned alleyway!
    Absolutely gorgeous! How long did it take you to get it like that??? Your work has indeed paid off well.

• Teresa_MN
    14 years ago

Fabulous! What an eye for shape, texture and design you have!
    Teresa