Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linaria_z7_ch

HVX-pics wanted

linaria_gw
13 years ago

Hello there,

I happen to write an article on HVX for a Swiss journal for commercial gardeners and landscape architects. There seems to be little awareness here in Switzerland (and Germany?) and definetely a lack of information about HVX. The editor hadnt heard of it before and would love to publish this article.

It all started when I got hooked on Hostas and did some general research for my own small perennial border. So somewhen I read all articles by Prof. Lockhart on the AHS-site.

My only problem is that I need pictures to go with the text. My dozen of Hostas is healthy (fingers crossed) and I didn`t find infected specimens when checking occasionaly some nursery or dyo store/ box store, but the problem is out there.

So I was wondering if I could use some of your pictures.Your name would be published with the pics of course.

I am looking for pics of:

motteling in solid green and solid yelow

ink bleed on striped ones

collapsed tissue

forgot something?

preferably with name of cultivar, estimated age: mature/ baby in soil or potted nursery plant, and with a high solution.

It would be great if you could help with some development aid and enlightenment for the Swiss garden community. The magazine/journal is subscribed by most of the nurseries and offices so it really could spread

the HVX-information.

So if you could help me with this please get in touch.

Thanks a bundle, Lin

Comments (9)

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Lin - see link below. This is a section from Hosta Library Website. Note there are 3 additional pages of pictures at this link - and they include the following text at bottom of the page -

"All material in the Hosta Virus X section of the HostaLibrary, including photographs, is intended for free use as a public service. Please feel free to copy and use to help us contain the spread of this disease."

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HOSTA VIRUS X

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Paul
    thanks for the hint. I looked it up, the selection is great, but I am afraid, the qualitiy isnt good enough for printing. I was wondering though if I could ask there directly for pics with high resolution. Thanks a lot, Lin

• i-like-to-grow
    13 years ago

I'm sure you would like to acquire a collection of photographs in high resolution...Twould be easy to get them all at once... but another way to find pics that suit you, would be to google image search or yahoo image search for HVX.. the resolutions are shown... and the source of the image is shown for acquiring the right to use the picture....
    John

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Lin,here is a pic of an HVX infected Gold Standard that I've been growing in my garden for years,much to the chagrin of my fellow hostaholics,who think I should destroy it! This is not the newest pic,but it still looks basically like this. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:943758}}

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Disclaimer - to new hosta forum members - Phil (love your passion and enthusiasm) trots out this plant annually to proclaim his .... gardening independence and to stir the pot. There is no upside to keeping an HVX infected plant in your collection - it won't get better. At best, you can hope it stays isolated and won't affect any other hostas in your collection. If you have an infected plant, don't save it as an oddity - dig it up put it in the trash - dirt and all and plant a non-hosta in its hole. Then clean/decontaminate your tools.

Decontamination per AHS -

"All tested methods of decontamination household detergent (Dawn), 70% alcohol and 10% solution of household bleachÂwere effective in eliminating infectivity of the virus. The decontamination process included intense scrubbing and cleaning of tools, hands, and pots to remove plant material, soil and sap. Viral material was visibly dislodged. It is not enough to simply dip tools in cleaning solution. Tools must be scrubbed free of all dirt and debris."

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Transmission of Hosta Virus X (HVX)

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

linaria....

If you would like photos emailed to you, then perhaps you should provide your email address.

If we try to send you an email thru this site, we cannot do attachments.

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

To Paul: The plant has been there since 2003,and has never infected any other hostas in my garden. I never cut it with garden tools,or anything,and yes I know it will never get free of infection,but I'm not worried! Sorry to bring it up again. Phil

• linaria_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello thisismelissa, thank you, I didnt know about there no attachments being possible:
    so here goes:

die.gaertnerin@gmx.net

and Paul, I contacted the folks at the hosta library wih my request, and they pointed me to someone who should/ could help, thanks again.

So hopefully I am getting there. Have a nice weekend, Lin

• pietvh
    13 years ago

I am new to forum. Recently saw HVX infected plants on garden tour in Michigan. Gardener actually bought hosta because of "interesting leafs".

{{gwi:1086891}}

{{gwi:1086892}}