Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmaki

Hosta Thieves!!!

Teresa_MN
17 years ago

Thank God I took the time to get to know my neighbors when they moved in a couple years ago! The woman (Nicki) is a stay at home mom with 2 kids. Yesterday Nicki calls me on my cell while I was at work and wondered if I was expecting visitors. When I told her no she described a minivan that had been in my driveway for about 20 minutes and said 2 women had gotten out of it and gone into my back yard. I don't know anyone with a vehicle like that and I asked her if she would be comfortable going over to see what they were doing.

WELL! They had dug up my Gilt by Association and Marilyn Monroe! And they were discussing Ivory Coast. When she asked them what they were doing one of them said she was a friend of mine. Then Nicki told them that she had just spoken with me and had called the police at my request. They dropped the hostas and left in a hurry. Nicki got their license and called me at work. When I got home I called the police and filed a report.

The home up the street was on the "Parade of Ponds" tour earlier this summer. There was a woman who parked in front of my home and after viewing the neighbors pond she asked if she could see my garden. She seemed nice enough and I gave her a little tour. I gave the police a description of the garden visitor. They will see if it is her when they talk to her today.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Hideko has had a number of hostas stolen over the years. She now keeps a second of each in different areas of the yard.

Comments (91)

• putnamgardens
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow....Good thing your neighbor got the license plate #. I had a fluky thing happen in 2000. My dog sitter was staying at my house and had taken a Vacation day. She saw a lady walking through the garden and went out to say "what up?". The women claimed that these hostas are for sale. My dog sitter says "REALLY". The stranger said she got direction to the house from "the man". Here the guy across the street from me ran an ad in the paper to sell hostas and the stranger didn't know her right from left. Phew....It really pays to have a stay home neighbor. I'm so glad their scheme was foiled. Later, Love, Lisa

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa - I emailed Kim last week wondering if this had ever happened to her. She said it had not - at least not that she was aware of!

I'm hoping to hear from the police today. Funny - the other shopping bags that were left in my yard came from Byerly's and Lund's (2 upscale grocery stores) and Nordstrom's.

I took the day off of work to work in the yard. It's going to be 70 and sunny! I'm going to make sure all the plants are labeled, take inventory and make up new schematics because everything got moved around this year!

Thanks to all for your concern. It's strange that I feel so violated! More to come.

Teresa

• indyrose
    17 years ago

Wow... I though this was a truly bizzare -one-of-a-kind thing, but I just heard from my mother -- someone stole a lupine out of her front garden!! It was a plant that had been there several years, admired by many. Mom and Dad are both 83 years old, so the thieves may not have been heard even if it were broad daylight.

The thieves were "nice enough" to smooth over the hole in the garden that they left...

I doubt if they will profit from their theft -- lupines very much HATE to be transplanted, and most likely that will kill it.

Luckily, Mom said there was a small offshoot that was missed -- hopefully it will survive.

Indyrose

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Over the weekend, I was coming home from running errands I noticed a beautiful spruce with the top cut off. It was in the yard of a neighbor about a block away. I stopped and introduced myself and then asked the man raking the yard why the top of the tree had been cut off. He replied, about 6 years ago when the tree was much smaller, someone cut the top off about 10 days before Christmas. He said he called the police and they said it happens all the time to the people with evergreens in their yards (in the month of December.) It occurred to me that over the years I have seen a number of evergreen trees that had been cut off at the top.

I told him what happened to my hosta. He said it did not surprise him. He has a co-worker that lives in a neighboring suburb that had several varieties of peonies stolen!

Teresa

• indyrose
    17 years ago

Years ago when I lived on a farm, there was an abandoned homestead that had a huge row of peonies along the front. The house was eventually burned down as a training exercise for the local fire departement, and the entire yard was to be plowed under as a corn/bean field.

I asked around and found out who owned the property and who locally had power of attorney, etc. and got permission to dig up the peonies.

FIVE people -- mostly neighbors of the homestead -- stopped and asked me about what I was doing. Luckily, we had the right answers, since we had gone about it honestly! The peonies grew very nicely for me and my sister-in-law.

I think "being neighborly" is more alive in the rural setting.

Indyrose

• bunnycat
    17 years ago

Indierose~ I think "years ago" is the main difference, not location. Years ago, how often did you hear of people stealing ANYTHING from people's yards. Not often, certainly not like now, when it is sadly all too common an occurrence.
    ~Bunnycat

• randy9700
    17 years ago

Theresa,

What city of MN do you live in? I am in Richfield and have the same concern since some very mature hostas are visible from the street. I also have both Lund's and Byerly's close to me...nice to know the theives shop or shoplift at our better stores! Thank goodness your neighbor did what she did because most wouldn't do that nowadays...
    Randy

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Randy - I live in Minnetonka on the east side of Ridgedale. I work with a guy who lives in the Highland Park area of St. Paul and there are several times each summer he hears of people lifting hostas in that area. In one thread above I mentioned that just yesterday there was a letter in Dear Abby (Ann?) that talked about people's gardens getting raided. Apparently this is a common occurance.

HERE IS THE REAL KICKER!!!!

I have learned that the woman that visited my garden last summer after the pond tour is the thief. Apparently she had a friend with her - she told her friend that she had purchased a number of hostas from me.

The pond/thief woman lives in a "gated" community of McMansions which is about 2-3 blocks from me. It's called Cedar Pass. The cheapest house in the complex is approx. $1.3M. Kevin Garnett the basketball player lived there a couple of years ago. The police said she has a history of shoplifting. They added that many people who steal can afford to pay for the product many times over - they are not doing it to save money - they do it for the thrill. They also said it is such a small crime that other than adding more history to her record - NOTHING will happen to her.

What do you think? Once I get a copy of the police report I am thinking of delivering copies to all of her neighbors. The police said there would be nothing wrong with that because I live in the area and am just trying to warn other residents of the area of the incident.

Teresa

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Teresa sounds like a plan to me. Too bad you don't have a pic of her in inmate clothing to post on it too. But you could take a pic of her house and then run the flyer with a warning on it about the thieving occupant.

I hope you can get into the gated community. Although you could try using her name/address from the police report and say you're delivering something she left at your place. She's visited you twice now, time you returned the favor. You could deliver the empty bags. LOL! But I doubt you want to go near her. If you did, you could leave a short note thanking her for the added excitement (note: heavy sarcasm).

If you had the money, a half page ad in the local paper would be fun too. Or does that border on harassment...sigh, where's an attorney when you need one?

Donna

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually - in this case 'gated" simply means there is a fence around the compound - no gate and no guard. And the gated terminolgy also refers to the fact that there is an association which maintains the grounds. There is some planting allowed - with certain plants and the approval of the association.

The police assured my that it would be fine to distribute fliers because I am a tax payer in the close vicinity of her home.

Teresa

• wingtsunguy
    17 years ago

I think i'm going to invest in some bear traps and security cameras.
    The security cameras are just to see the look on their face!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wingsunguy - I have never seen your name before - I checked out your page and see your favorite things are cacti and aquariums. Not sure what brought you here..... but I think I can say without hesitation that hosta folks are much more fun that cacti folks! :-)

No ugly emails please! I was kidding!

Teresa

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

That's all too common, where nothing happens to them, so they are free to go on to the next victim. Since your neighbor actually saw them digging and can no doubt identify them, why couldn't you press charges for property damage? After all it is costing you in time and effort to replant those that they dug up, not to mention the violation you must feel having someone come and help themselves to your property.
    There has to be some kind of law against this. No wonder crime is at the rate it is these days if the police and courts are willing to just look the other way....unless of course it happened to them.
    So sorry you had to go through this, but I am glad they didn't get away with your plants.

Janet

• Janice
    17 years ago

I am just sputtering! I don't think I could get out all I want to say (and probably should not say because it may not be well tolerated on this forum) that addresses the fact that there is never "enough" for people who look to money and materialism to make them happy!

The very idea that this woman, who can well afford just about anything, apparently, and yet for her the "temporary"(I am sure)"satisfaction" is in taking from someone else in order to have it for herself--speaks to the issue of "covetuousness" and the new trend of "entitlement"! Covetuousness (wanting what another has to the point of being willing and comfortable with depriving them of it, in order to be in possession of it) being something we were warned not to get caught up in doing, obviously needed to be pointed out by the One who knows us all, too well, for many, and a great discomfort for most!

Sad and angering at the same time!! "Greed", the gift that keeps on "taking"!

janice

p.s. Does your local paper publish police reports, giving names of those arrested etc.?

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

LMAO at Teresa first for the simple fact, I have a very large cactus collection, both desert and tropical, I dedicate a very large converted garage to the blasted things, got hundreds of them, they grow and bloom like crazy for me, I adore them, I have some I cut back once they reach 12 feet tall. And I also happen to have a number of aquariums, over 1,000 gallons worth total indoors alone, a vast variety of indoor fish and a number of over 2 ft long koi in a 1/2 acre natural pond year around, fish are very much a passion of mine, so wingsunguy and I could be twins or best friends. And still here I am on the hosta forum. And Teresa, I am just laughing because I do know that us hosta folks do have a number of interest besides our beloved hostas, variety is the spice of life. I do not want you to think I took the least bit of offence, I just found it funny, I mean, think about the difference betweeen hostas and cactus.

But to get on the serious side of this thread. Girlfriend, I do hope that even though you can not take legal actions against this person, you can at least extract some revenge by letting your neighborhood know what they have living amonst them. I do not like being a spiteful person, but this is one time I feel it is warrented. I have been watching this thread with discust at what this person did. I am one of those people who is totally unable to take anything that does not belong to me. Dont' matter if could get away with it, it is just something I can not do, so totally goes against my nature! Being that way, I am very picky about anyone touching what is mine without permission. Ask me and I will give you the shirt off my back, but DO NOT touch what is mine without permission, just one of those personal quirks of mine.

In my eyes, this person invaded your personal space and since she did that, no holds barred, take her down, let everyone in your area know her history. Maybe she can not be taken legally, but you sure could do some personal damage to her. Just keep your information totally factual, things you can back up. Make it hard for her to keep living in your area. If nothing else, make it hard for her to work your area. I hate the thought she will move to a new area, but if legal actions don't stop her in your area, then maybe they will in the next area she moves to. The most important thing to rememember at this time is to make it hard for her to work your area.

Oh my, guess I just let my nasty side show, couldn't use the word I really wanted to. But hey, to quote from a movie, and some of you might know this quote, 'sometimes being a biach is all a woman has to hold on to'. And if us women have to be a biach, so be it, got to protect what is ours.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janice - the papers publish the crime incidents - but not the names. You can call for additonal information because it is public record - but who ever takes the time to do that.

Choc - glad you are laughing. It just struck me as odd that people on the forum for shade tolerant plants would be interested in a plant which appears to be at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I too love fish. I used to have a 200 gallon salt water tank at my last residence. A tiny condo on a lake in downtown Minneapolis. The fish were alotted more room that me.

I love salt water fish but the maintenance got to be too much and I could not stand another fish dying. Wish my yard would allow for a pond - but hey - a pond visitor to the neighbor across the street is what got this thread started! lol

Teresa

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Teresa, the whole story is kind of scary and it is a good thing you have such a good neighbor. The neighbors to my one side are in their late 70's and seem to know everything that is going on in the neighborhood. Which actually turns out to be a good thing, plus she likes to visit and bring me treats!

This spring I had my neighbor's behind me actually rip out a bunch of my plants, garden decor, and plant tags. The lady decided she wanted that part of the yard (which was mine) as her own to put up one of those big outdoor canopy things. The kicker is that she never mows the lawn, takes care of the outside of her house, or even ventures outside. She has two of her grandchildren living with her, one that is a senior in high school and one that is a freshman this year and they won't mow the lawn for her. I had both of her grandchildren as students, which makes this an even bigger mess since they were both nice kids at heart just no discipline. During the day while I was at work she hired some men to rip out all of the weeds and tall grass from her yard and told them to go up to the rock border (which is the start of my flower bed and about 5 feet from the end of her yard). I came home to find men in my backyard ripping out my plants. My husband was home at the time, but ESPN was on so he didn't notice. My DH confronted her, and she made up some story about how her dead husband had put the rock border in, so she knows it's her yard. My husband informed her that I actually put the rock border in the first year we moved into the house and then showed her the stake that marks the lot line. I never did get my plants, decor, or markers back from her. My husband talked to the police, but they said there wasn't much they could do but give her a warning at that point. My huge Night Before Christmas hosta was luckily untouched because it had not emerged yet!

A good thing did come out of the whole thing. I had been asking my DH to build me a Garden structure to block out the neighbor's yard. So the very next day after this happened, he went out and bought the lumber and built the structure I wanted. Here is a recent photo of it! I haven't had a chance to start cutting things down, so it's looks a little overgrown, plus behind my structure is the tall weeds that are her yard.

• hostared
    17 years ago

TSK, TSK, TSK....so all she gets is a slap on the hand.

I am sure that is all she got for shoplifting also!

Teresa you got to do what you got to do. She knows there is nothing they can do to her. It's a shame that people have no guilt for what they do....shame on her. But she don't care. I wonder what else she has in her yard! Should find out who's houses were on the pond walk and see if anything is missing from their yards. She won't stop with your house.

Choc...Wow were you fired up. Also I got a thing for sedums. Both tropical and perennial.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is it my imagination???? or what???? I mentioned the names of the stores that the theive's shopping bags had come from and now the names are appearing on the right side of the page (Byerly's and Lunds). Is this a coincidence or cyber scariness?

Teresa

• diannp
    17 years ago

What about taking her to Small Claims Court for damage to your yard, hostas and the time and effort it took for you to put things back? Take her for $500.00. Maybe she'll think twice about messing with someones yard again. I doubt that a Small Claims Court would give her a break and maybe a lecture. Don't peoples names appear in small claims verdicts?

Diann

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Teresa,

I still say you ought to contact your local paper about doing a story on this. It might just be a community interest type of story, but I bet a lot of other people would be interested in reading it. Especially since this lady apparently gets her kicks from taking what is not hers, and they may just be next. Since the police report is public record, they could even publish her name, along with the value of her house since it is also public record. Maybe the story could be written from an angle of warning others on the pond tour to be on the lookout, or even from the perspective of what a great neighbor you have and tell the story of how she stopped this hosta thief in her tracks.

I hope you're planning to distribute those flyers to all of her neighbors as well as your own. They ought to know what trash is living amongst them.

• greenmulberry
    17 years ago

I think it would be worth the price of the stamps to mail the police report to every house on her block-except her's!

• ademink
    17 years ago

Teresa, I think that GardenWeb uses tracking cookies. Creepy.

• goldedger
    17 years ago

Geeezz. This post has evolved in so many ways. Don't shoot me!!! :)
    Teresa I'm so sorry that you had this happen, I know you feel violated (not to minimize it but thank god or whoever, it was "just hostas" it can almost always be worse) (almost everything can be worse) I had a hosta go "missing" from my yard (still don't know what happened but I did think that someone might have possibly "stolen" it).....the idea appalled me.....even my thinking that someone could have stolen it appalled me). What kind of moron comes into a private back yard......and steals something, anything, how ludicrous to come in and dig up a hosta!!! I felt...oh geezz a lot of things but mostly my peace (at the time) was shattered. After all a garden is, at least to me a place of tranquility, relaxation, renewal, etc. A place away from the turmoil of life in the 21st century!! The gall of some people is unbelievable. They just don't understand and/or care that other people have worked very hard and invested sweat & caring into the things they are stealing. Somehow they just think they have a right to them. I just feel kinda sorry for them (okay maybe not that sorry) 'cause they don't seem to have good things in their lives, so they try to steal other people's "good things" That's kinda clear in my head, not so sure it's coming across right, here. (this cyberspace thing is missing the head shaking, grinning, frowning....expression thing that face to face conversations have) Then again we all know there are good people and bad people in this world, also good people with some bad intentions and bad people with some good intentions. Not much is clear cut.

I probably should have just said "I agree with Janice" and left it at that. Like I said ....don't shoot me. The woman is totally wrong and maybe if the punishment was more severe or public for minor crimes we wouldn't have so much in the way of major crimes (catch them when they're little).

Interesting that one of the hostas she was stealing was "Gilt by Association"

On another note.......(sort of hijacking this thread)
    Choc.....we find out more and more of your versatile personality......you're just full of surprises....Cacti! and tons of fish! Wow! Any chance you're hiding an elephant in your back yard? You're so right that we have lots of different interests (variety is the spice of life), for me Hostas are the one interest I really like to gab about.........reminds me of a recent family reunion.......my brother (who actually was my first enabler) and I were chatting about Hosta when my niece came by and tried to be polite and join the conversation, she left (probably slightly glassy eyed at the boring topic), she came back a little while later (we normally are fun people)and said "I know you're still talking about that Hosta family of yours!" Sheepish here.....we did feel a little bit bad. There is more to life than Hosta (hmmmmm LOL)

Sorry for going off track, I guess I just wanted to try to lighten things up. It was a horrible thing that happened, it could have been much worse (there are much much more stupifying things happening....I know you all know this, don't bite me)

Teresa, continue to be the good neighbour that you are and enjoy your garden.

Just my two cents.

:) June

P.S. I don't usually vent like this, sorry in advance.

• lynnem
    17 years ago

Teresa,

A crime was committed, and it's the police's job to charge her with that crime, if that's what you want as the victim. It's not really up to them to make the decision that another conviction won't make any difference. Granted, once it gets to court, she won't get much anyway, but in the long run, it's going to cost her attorney's fees or court fines. And I'm sure there was some damage to your property.

I'd insist on charges being filed, even if you have to sign the complaint yourself... Every officer has a supervisor.. go above them if you need to.

• lynxe
    17 years ago

What about trespassing? Weren't they on private property without permission? Plus, like lynnem said, there's property damage. Why are these something that would be dismissed? I don't get it.

• diannp
    17 years ago

I think (at least in Iowa) to get someone for tresspassing it has to be posted.

Diann

• wingtsunguy
    17 years ago

"wingsunguy - I have never seen your name before - I checked out your page and see your favorite things are cacti and aquariums. Not sure what brought you here..... but I think I can say without hesitation that hosta folks are much more fun that cacti folks! :-)
    No ugly emails please! I was kidding!

Teresa"

Ok
    First I had an aquarium with fish...
    Then I, got into dutch aquaria. Meaning, an aquarium with CO2, high output compact flo lighting, tons of plants, home made fertilizers and struggles with algae. After several years of weekly 40% water changes and massive pruning adventures...I took the tank down. My laziness had invited cyanobacteria invasions!
    Later, I felt that something was missing...
    I always thought cacti were sexy; so, I invested in some. A complete 180, because cacti grow slow and need vertually no care.
    Even later, I wanted to decorate the side of my house, which happened to be shadey and barren. I always hated hostas (no flames)! I think there was a hosta farm or hosta party in my area at one time; where everyone traded the same single hosta. Most homes around here either seemed to border their homes, trees, perimeters, driveways, swingsets, patios...you name it with one single hosta species. yuck
    So, upon searching for shade loving plants...I had found some pretty cool hostas available. I purchased:

(My Fav) Francis Williams
    Pico Alta (or something like that)
    Great expectatons
    Blue Angel
    Liberty

Let the Gardening Begin!!

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is you hosta Fortunei Albopicta?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library

• wingtsunguy
    17 years ago

Is you hosta Fortunei Albopicta?

Yes, that's the 1. I also have the patriot not the liberty.

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will pick up a copy of the report tonite and distribute to her neighbors. It might take a few nites because I am going door to door and handing it directly to the homeowners.

The policeman that filled out the report told me she found it hard to believe the prices I had put on the hostas. I told him I could bring the receipts - and the hosta finder. What bumped the price up so high was that the Gilt by Association was 5 eyes. I multiplied the Hosta Finder price by 5.

• Janice
    17 years ago

June--I loved your post--your "two-cents worth"! It is so neat to see more of "you" in it! When I take a "Forum-folk-hosta tour", I'd love to swing by your place! I have a feeling we could have a good time! :o)

Teresa--any chance you'll go to this lady's home and hand her a flyer? No--just kidding--really! :o0 Do you have a spare "undulata" to share? No, again, that's the not-so-nice side of me peeking through! I'd really never do that but I might want to!! I'm committed to living a "code" that supercedes my natural inclinations! Admittedly, that can be very difficult, at times! :o/

"Wing-guy" (may I cut it short like that?) you're on your way! There's no turning back, once you've planted a hosta! So, again, welcome to the "hosta-side"!

Oh, and all you Cacti-growers, collectors etc.--had many of those "stolen"! LOL

janice

• keets
    17 years ago

In Ohio, we have a TV NEWS Channel that will investigate things like this and put it on TV. I do think you should let the people who put on the Parade of Ponds know about this women, I am sure your garden is not the only one she has on her list to target. Also any garden clubs in town. I think the least she should have gotten was community service, since she liked to dig, digging ditches should be right up her alley. How about a plate on her car with I Steal or Thief on it. My sister just had her garden wagon taken from her front yard. My daughter had her bike taken from in front of the house (we live on a busy street and I was home). Since there is nothing wrong with digging up someones yard you could always host a digging party and dig up her yard, sometimes one wishes one could have the nerve to do something like that, knowing your sense of right and wrong would not allow you to act like her. Taking her to small claims court would at least make you feel better.

• Janice
    17 years ago

You know, I was just "thinking" (I know, it's a dangerous thing) if she were living in another "culture" or country where "another" belief-system is at it's roots, she'd have her hand or hands cut off for thievery! Something she can be
    thankful for that she might otherwise disdain, that "belief-system" that is predominant in the birthing of this country!

Just guessing on that "disdaining" thing, though--but many don't see much value for it these days--rather inconvenient to manys' so-called "freedoms", like the "freedom" to steal, lie, be unfaithful, be immoral, etc.! Darn inconvenient that conscience thing--when it's "in place", that is!

How about those Hosta!!!:o)

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

LOL J.
    Hopefully the hosta will be fine. It's Teresa and anyone else that might become a victim of this thief that worries me

Some good suggestions above. Contact the local news stations, the Garden Clubs and whoever is in charge of Pond/Garden Walks in your area. Sometimes editorial sections of newpapers run stories like this. Let everyone know what happened and who did it.

I still find it hard to believe that the police are letting this go. I thought they are supposed to 'serve and protect'.
    Turning the other cheek is someone else's job.

Janet

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The police did not let it go. Scroll back about 4 posts - I added that she has been charged and I was picking up a copy of the report last night.

I had to provide the police with the $$ value of the plants - even though she left without them. I did not pick up the report last nite because I had to get a new battery for my car.

Not sure what she was charged with.... a few options were
    misdeamer
    petty misdeamer
    felony (this is where the $$$ value comes in)

The first place I am taking it is to the homeowner's association of the gated community where she lives. And then I'm talking to her neighbors and giving them a copy of the report.

Before I can report it to a news station I have to get a copy of the report so they know I am not making it up.

• playinmud
    17 years ago

Teresa, you go girl!!!!!!!!!

Just keep it tucked in the back of your mind that this unscrupulous person may retaliate in some manner, so please watch yourself.

Donna

• i_dig_it
    17 years ago

That's good to know then.
    I was going by your earlier post where you said "They also said it is such a small crime that other than adding more history to her record - NOTHING will happen to her."

If she indeed is being charged, then there will be fines and/or time served, either in jail or community service. Of course, that depends on the judge too.

Janet

• chocolateis2b8
    17 years ago

First I want to echo Donna in saying, You go Girl, you are doing a wonderful job of handling this, not so sure I would if this happened to me, I'm funny that way. You are taking the proper measures in trying to get your justice and making sure you have your proof to back you up before you do so. And Donna does bring up a good point in that this person might try to retaliate, it's up to you if you want to take that chance. Personally, I would go for it, but that is me, I've just been around the block too many times to take a lot of bull from people.

Second, it's funny, I really never considered it odd to have a large cactus collection and also be a hostaholic, but I never did go with the norms in life, lol. But if you really think about it, it does make sense, at least to me. Hostas do go dormant and it's during those times I need some flowers in my life. I don't have a lot of luck with tropical flowering houseplants, but for some reason, I can grow cactus, actually grow them too well, and the flippen things bloom like crazy for me. They give me such beautiful blooms in the winter and truth be known, they were here long before the hostas, there are some I've had over 20 years.

And Goldedger, Elephant in my backyard? I don't think so, I'm more of a giraffe type person, got to prune the tops of those trees to let in the sun for the hostas, lmao. But to be serious, someday I'll write my life story, think I might shock a few of you, sure can't say my life has been easy, but it has made me who I am. All I can say is even with my 'interesting' background, I do feel that I do have some knowledge to contribute to this forum.

Hostared, yes I was fired up and I'm sorry, shouldn't have gone that far, just a personal thing with me and we all have our personal things. As I said, ask and I will give you the shirt off my back, I really am a generous person, but DO NOT touch what is mine without asking, I see red when that happens.

Teresa, I hope you keep us up to date with what is happening, I know I want to know, but I'm starting to think you need to start a new thread, this one sure has gotten long and with a few twist in turns in it. I must say, you sure got our ire up, lol.

Barbie.

PS. Janice, yes I have had cactus stolen from me, as much as we are into hostas, some people are into cactus and for as many hostas that there are, there are just as many cactus. It's all a matter of what you are into. Someday I will tell you the story of my cactus theft, it really was a heartbreaking to me, it was one I grew from a tiny thing into a prime speciman, a first place winner at a show, got the ribbon, but no longer have the cactus, I would have rather them take the blue ribbon and left me the cactus.

• grdnnkd
    17 years ago

teresa_mn-

Just wondering how everything turned out. Hopefully well for you.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

Retaliatiom is always a consideration.
    Several years ago, I confronted a pair of teenage youths in my garden. They had stolen nothing at the time, but were invited to leave immediately. A few days later, I found the rear window of my minivan shattered. A Police report was filed, naming the suspects. Follow up by the Police was unknown, but apparently they had a talk with them, because in a few weeks, we awoke to some loud noises and found 2 serious dents in the side of our daughter's expensive car, which was parked overnight in the driveway. 2 large chunks of concrete were left behind. The perps had brought their own ammo, so it was a deliberate act. Again, a police report and they must have laid down the law to the family, because they moved a few days later.
    Be on your guard!
    Rb

• maidofshade
    17 years ago

Hi All
    I have been a lurker here all summer and this is the post that got me to join your group!!
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is just unbelieveable! I cannot wait to hear the outcome of this story.
    I just CANNOT BELIEVE that people can stoop so low--I guess what really gets me is the fact that they are in the "Elite Group" whatever!!!!
    How LOW can you get. Not Walmart or Target bags eh????????
    You have my complete sympathy.
    I feel like I have been violated with you.
    After all your yard not to mention your hostas are your own little sanctuary!!
    WOW
    I am just frosted over this.
    We live about 45 minutes from your area although rural who knows. We are on a major highway.
    2 Barking dogs but is nothing sacred???????????????

• greenguy
    17 years ago

sooooo...........
    did you pass out the police report?

• elkka
    17 years ago

I just found this page and I have to say I am stunned, disgusted and a little pissed all at once. If it were me I would print off this thread and take it along with the police report and make a hundred copies and distribute them through out the neighborhood. Better yet, I like the suggestion about taking it to the local news, they live for expose' stories like this. Get your vengence woman! You are fully entitled!

Teresa, the "creepyness" is simply google AdWords. Do a search for it and you'll get a full explaination :-)

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Elkka - click on conversation at the top of the hosta forum page. You will see and update on the outcome.

I've never seen you post before - welcome!

Teresa

• redsnowflake
    16 years ago

Teresa,

So sorry you had something like this happen to you. I suppose I am a lot more naive than I ever thought, because I'd never imagine someone walking into someone's yard and digging up their plants!!! I've joked with my hubby, saying that I wanted to do that when I see a particularly attractive plant, but my goodness - I'd never even DREAM of actually doing something like that. I think I'll quit joking about it. Even just with DH.

This is my first year gardening, and I've bought quite a few roses, daylilies, cannas, bearded iris, and just recently several hosta. And to think that someone would just come into my yard and take what they want! Just the thought burns me up. I can only imagine how you must feel.

Good for you on filing the police report and having her charged! And extra kudos to you for alerting her neighbors to her thieving ways! The only hope of making her stop is to make her suffer some consequences! Keep us posted.

~Amanda (another Hosta newbie)

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Amanda! Imagine my surprise when this thread made it's way back to the top of the forum. It was a whole year ago - thanks for inquiring!

If anyone came into my yard now they would have one heck of a time. My sister sold her farm and has not bought a new house yet. She sold to a developer who will plow 22 years of gradening under. She is cramming plants everywhere to store them for the winter. I've been killing off grass to squeeze more in. So far she has plant more than 150 plants/shrubs/hostas/daylilies. We've had some really heavy rains which have flattened alot. My yard is one scary looking place at the moment! lol

Here is a link to the thief update I posted last October.

And welcome to the forum!

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Thief Update

• redsnowflake
    16 years ago

My silly butt didn't even bother to look at the date. LOL! I was pleased to read that your goal was accomplished without you having to waste your time on it. I was saddened by the news of your old classmate's son. Things like that really do put a new perspective on things.

Best of luck with both your and your sister's plants. I can't imagine having to cram all that in there. If you run outta room, there's plenty of room here. LOL! :)

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

Without reading are you aware that any such loss may be covered by insurance?

• Teresa_MN
    Original Author
    16 years ago

EO - you mentioned you did not read.....nothing was actually taken because my astute, stay at home mom, neighbor intercepted the thieves while they were digging - and she confronted them. I think she actually enjoyed kicking them out of my yard and ripping the spade out of her hand!

She moved away earlier this spring - if anyone comes to steal plants I'm outta luck!

Teresa